Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Maybe JH needs a keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and likes to play the sweeper.

Maybe JH needs a holding midfielder who can pass and pass well

Maybe JH needs another striker who can play alongside Billy

At present, JH hasn't brought in anyone - I'm sure he is desperate for 3 players (that ICT need regardless) that would be the lynchpin of the system he plays.

That's when he will ask to be judged. You can't expect him to simply copy Butcher - no manager worth his salt would agree to that.

I think when people say that he lacks variation surely thats what he means be saying he wants to play passing football but the players have to know when to mix it up.

Still He's doing better than Butcher at Hibs, what 1 win in 12 now.

What  the problem with the naysayers about John Hughes on here is :

1. NEVER CHANGE THEIR MIND

2. always LOOKING FOR THE NEGATIVE COMMENT

3. DON'T SEE THE PASSION AND EXPERIENCE OF THE MAN.

4. Can't appreciate that he will gain nothing against a stressed and tired bunch of good lads by getting angry, petulant, overly critical and berating them for every mistake as soon as they get back into the dressing room. Did you hear what he said about Brill--he balanced  the mistake he made in the last game against the excellent save he made in the previous game.

5. They don't fully understand that it's not all just about winning games because without adversity, and the cauldron of fire to stress the steel and harden it , you don't get the growth or the resilience to realise that life is a battle-- unless you want to crawl into a corner and hibernate.

So I suggest that you  adopt a completely positive approach and listen to the voice of experience, John Hughes ,his fired up imagination and passion, his positive ideas, his vision and frankly his inspiring thoughts.

And learn. :clapping:

• Agree 3

I Don't see many games as I live in Spain but has our drop in results not run in tandem with McKays drop in form - and is that dow to tatics or is Billy just going through a Barren patch. I think what it does show is that we need to sign at least one striker this summer to give Billy back up/ competition.

so I would leave Hughes there give him a chance in the transfer window and see where we go from there  

• Agree 2

1. The Results

2. The background of similar results

So I suggest that you  adopt a completely realistic approach and listen to the voice of experience, John Hughes ,his fired up imagination and passion, his positive ideas, his vision and frankly his inspiring thoughts, then realise, like Brewster before him, that being a nice guy doesn't win matches.

Fixed that for you.

1. The Results

2. The background of similar results

So I suggest that you  adopt a completely realistic approach and listen to the voice of experience, John Hughes ,his fired up imagination and passion, his positive ideas, his vision and frankly his inspiring thoughts, then realise, like Brewster before him, that being a nice guy doesn't win matches.

Fixed that for you.

When was Brewster a nice guy? He was a complete and utter ass in his 2nd tenure anyway. I remember too the comments that followed his 1st departure.

But he managed in his time to help drive out 2 of our best players in John Rankin and Ian Black, and i dont think Niculae though much of him either. Here was a true example of losing the dressing room.

Much unlike getting the whole team to sign onto an idea and sign multi year contracts before the summer. Must be the 1st time in our history that surely.

And Biggin, I've made that point before. We were quite reliant on Mckay in the 1st half of the season and he's played nearly every game this season. Some seem to think that because a player suddenly has a rich reign of form it should continue unchecked for all time and that if it doesn't it must be a tactical error.

But watch the games, even the highlights. He's still getting chances but not taking them. So is it more likely he's tired, or just plain out of form. The ball isn't quite falling for him the same as before. It does happen. Even the best (aside from Ronaldo and Messi) have blips from time to time. Stevie May too has went a few without scoring, or at least isn't as prolific as before. He's still a good player.

Mckay missed quite a few chances in games even when he was scoring every week and was criticised on here for not being clinical enough. It's laughable the standards some people are expecting.

• Agree 1

4. Can't appreciate that he will gain nothing against a stressed and tired bunch of good lads by getting angry, petulant, overly critical and berating them for every mistake as soon as they get back into the dressing room. Did you hear what he said about Brill--he balanced  the mistake he made in the last game against the excellent save he made in the previous game.

5. They don't fully understand that it's not all just about winning games because without adversity, and the cauldron of fire to stress the steel and harden it , you don't get the growth or the resilience to realise that life is a battle-- unless you want to crawl into a corner and hibernate.

So I suggest that you  adopt a completely positive approach and listen to the voice of experience, John Hughes ,his fired up imagination and passion, his positive ideas, his vision and frankly his inspiring thoughts.

What  the problem with the happyclappers about John Hughes on here is :

1.  They think he has a track record of turning around corrosive, terminally bad form.

2.  They're right good honest laddies who roll their sleaves up and dust themselves off for the last dance back at the well to go again.

3.  The think defenders taking 3 touches to make an 11 yard pass sideways is slick, imaginative football.

857774_Clap_gif2337cd94874249c739512e750

TOGETHERNESS!!

Edited by clacher_holiday2
  • Agree 3

Heard at the game today from usually a very reliable source that a lot of the players are absolutely sick of Hughes's tactics, his insistence of passing the ball at all costs and his reluctance to change.  The 'favourited' tweet from a certain ICT player the other day, seems to confirm this.  Worrying if this continues and coming from where it came from, it's almost certainly true.

Team selections are not doing Hughes any favours. You've got to admit that the goal at Tannadice and the second today had more than a touch of class about them; that's how Hughes wants to play, which is fine.....but....

the team we have built its league position on solid, no-nonsense defending and swift counter-attacking with width, giving Billy tap-ins. Slow, tippy-tappy football won't give Mckay those chances. We're too narrow and too slow and deliberate going forward. It's not needing a huge change, just playing people in their natural positions and being brave enough to drop one of the central midfielders to give balance and width. Has he got the b@lls? Not so far...

• Agree 2

Team selections are not doing Hughes any favours. You've got to admit that the goal at Tannadice and the second today had more than a touch of class about them; that's how Hughes wants to play, which is fine.....but....

the team we have built its league position on solid, no-nonsense defending and swift counter-attacking with width, giving Billy tap-ins. Slow, tippy-tappy football won't give Mckay those chances. We're too narrow and too slow and deliberate going forward. It's not needing a huge change, just playing people in their natural positions and being brave enough to drop one of the central midfielders to give balance and width. Has he got the b@lls? Not so far...

The worry is that throughout Yogi's managerial history there is no indication that he ever learns from his mistakes. Time will tell but, right now, it's not looking good. If we can take a point from each of our next two games I'll be relieved.

Renegade - 'The players are sick of having to pass the ball at all costs'??? OMG what utter rubbish!

If our players cannot play passes to teammates but prefer to punt it up the pitch what does that say for their ability as professional footballers?  

Renegade - 'The players are sick of having to pass the ball at all costs'??? OMG what utter rubbish!

If our players cannot play passes to teammates but prefer to punt it up the pitch what does that say for their ability as professional footballers?  

OMG!!!  Say what you like but that's what I was told and it comes from someone who certainly knows their stuff.  More so than me and certainly more so than you.

Edited by Renegade

Renegade - 'someone who certainly knows their stuff'??? care to have the balls to tell us who this football genius is? I doubt it!

If you are someone who prefers his players to launch the ball up the park and get after it then I would suggest you are a typical example of the reason why football in this country is 'light years' behind our European counterparts. 

• Agree 1

Renegade - 'someone who certainly knows their stuff'??? care to have the balls to tell us who this football genius is? I doubt it!

If you are someone who prefers his players to launch the ball up the park and get after it then I would suggest you are a typical example of the reason why football in this country is 'light years' behind our European counterparts. 

What an ignoramus!

Football genius?  What's someone's level of football knowledge got to do with anything?  I was just reporting what I was told, which came from someone who would know.  If you had some knowledge of my posts in the past, you'd realise I don't advocate the long ball at all  Butcher was more direct this and last season than the dull and lifeless (and unpopular) stuff being served at the minute, but it wasn't long ball and nor are many other football approaches not played by Hughes.

Maybe you should calm down to a frenzy and actually posted something of note instead of attacking posters whose opinions you don't like or toe the party line but before ranting off at them about things you clearly don't know about.

Edited by Renegade

I've steered clear of posting on CTO since I voiced my severe concerns at Hughes' appointment and was criticised for not giving the bloke a fair crack of the whip. Well, we've now had a fair dose of him and I believe it's apparent to all but the happiest of happy-clappers that Hughes is clearly the wrong man for the job.

Hughes inherited a team sitting second in the league with points and games in hand with confidence sky high. Fast forward a few short months and we've seen the team implode in front of our eyes. Poor tactics, bizarre team selection and the trademark inane/incoherent post match comments have become the gut wrenching norm.

I was at Tannadice on Wednesday night and it's clear that certain players ggare scared to do anything positive - rather than direct attacking drives into space they repeatedly check inside and pass sideways or backwards. John wants to play like Barca but we have a squad who are "good honest laddies" who we know can be extremely effective if we stick with the tactics adopted in the first half of the season. Poor Billy was clearly knackered, lacking confidence and in dire need of a break. Others appear emotionally fragile and likewise in need of a rest. Alas, Yogi seems incapable of reacting to factors which are clear to us mere mortals. The sequence of passes which lead to United's second goal on Wednesday was nothing short of footballing suicide. We were playing a team with their tales up comprising some of the nippiest players in the league, as such it would be no disgrace for us to keep it simple at the back and avoid a repeat of the Scottish cup quarter final debacle. Clearly this doesn't fit with the Hughes ethos and we see good honest pros exposed by the tactics enforced by Hughes.

Poor Nicky Ross started almost every game under Butcher this season but Hughes doesn't seem to fancy him at all despite the repeated media platitudes. He insists on playing three players (Drapes, Tansey & Vincent) who are grafters but don't offer a great deal of creativity or service to Billy. He then expects them to pass like Iniesta.....utter madness.

Mark my words if Hughes is in the hot seat next season we will be fighting relegation come May. He shouldn't have got the job in the first place, his negative tactics cost us a League Cup win and are ripping the heart and soul out of the side. I just hope someone in the inner circle has the guts to hold his hands up and admit that a mistake was made and a change is needed - sooner rather than later.

• Agree 8

The long ball or direct pass ( route 1) is not always bad. It has been played by Italy, Manchester United.  Costacurter beat England passing 80 yards to Zola who banged it into the net. - Long ball s to Giggs and then to Cantanna where the order of the day. I don't like this condemnation of the long ball it can be very effective. 

Is he your Dad or Uncle John maybe,? sounds like it- Come on go on the Hartlepool  United web site and ask them?

Maybe they have forgiven him for the relegation

In a word, yes!

In a short space if time he has managed to turn us from a free scoring confident team with a good defensive record into the complete opposite. He was the cheap option ant not the right man for the job. The Board should have checked his CV out and gone all out to get Paul Hartley. I dread the rest of the season and can't see us winning another game. If we didn't have those points from earlier in the season we would have been in the mix for the play off place if not already confirmed in 11th place.

I note that Hughes said that he subbed Mckay because he was absolutely shattered. I'd wager that he was so exhausted because of the limited support he is now getting and all the extra work that he is having to do to chase aimless balls thumped over his head and hold the ball up before his team mates get anywhere near him to support him. It's no coincidence that as Hughes tinkered with the formation and style of play the goals for Mckay have dried up. Four goals in all competitions since January compared to seventeen before.

• Agree 1

I am not in the sack Hughes camp but, when my mind turns to next season, I no longer wonder whether we can reach finals and semi finals or who we might pip in the league for a place in Europe. Instead, I find myself wondering which two teams might finish below us in the league.

Am I disappointed ? Yes. Am I surprised ? No. It's what I resigned myself to when he was appointed. Personally, I have put my ambitions for the team above avoiding relegation on hold for just now. That way, the pain is easier to bear.