Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

Funny how more and more seem to be in favour of sacking the dud, a couple of weeks ago, when I started this thread, nearly no-one wanted him sacked!

Sooner he is sacked or resigns, the better, just put someone in temporary charge until end of season and TAKE TIME to get the RIGHT person in!

To be fair the games we have been losing have been against good sides and we have only been a goal or two away from winning most. With a bit of time for the defence to regain confidence I see no reason why we shouldn't start winning again. Losing to the team who are currently second with a depleted and tired squad is hardly unacceptable like most seen to think. I also have no problem with Hughes experimenting with the side as tbh Europe was never happening and it's good to see Christie and Polworth getting a bit of experience.

It's time for the fans to get behind the team.  My opinion and not everyone will agree is that Hughes won't  get sacked, the Inverness board have to think long term and while Hughes may not be the man for the job, he will be given time to prove himself or not as the case may be.

The Inverness job is not the most attractive for an established manager and we are caught in the position where we need an experienced manager  to sustain our expectations and try to improve the team. 

Managers who may be wanted elsewhere will not come to a club that does not give them time. Things have to improve and maybe we the fans have to show the way, I sit in front  of 3 people in the north stand, 2 elderly men  and a woman  who never seem to shut up criticising the team and even laughing at mistakes, then have a go at the manager, at one point tonight I was wondering if I had enough money on me to offer them a refund to  clear off (fortunately I didn't).

I know  that they pay their money and have a right to opinions, as we all do, but get behind the team  or shut up, this negativity must get through to the players and confidence can't be high in the dressing room at the moment.  We expect high standards now from the players, so let's get behind the team, we have some very young players on the field now and they need our backing. I would hope that Hughes has some contacts in the game who can source some decent, and they will have to be cheap, new additions in the close season.  Top six finish and first major cup final, I would have been happy with that at the start of the season, the worry is that this bad form we have now struck will carry into next season.

Who knows what will happen, but we are Inverness, we are in the top league, we are top six and we are here to stay.

Twenty odd years ago in Inverness we would have been watching Highland League football if we wanted a live match, now we are bitterly disappointed if we don't beat Motherwell that's how far we have come, surely despite this bad patch this can be considered a success.

• Agree 2

If you are happy watching that sort of football for another season mithrandir that's fine but it'll be you and Hughes in the stadium alone. Don't think for a second the players will want to hang around with this style of football either as they are all being made to look like mugs due to his tactics.

I can accept his philosophy of passing football but it's just stubbornness and is seriously hurting the clubs performances and will do no favours improving attendances which is hard enough as it is.

A significant section of support clearly have doubts about Hughes and presumably players' confidence in the manager is also being tested by our poor recent run. One thing I would say to his credit is that he has talked the players up since coming here. I felt for the first time tonight that his post match comments hinted at blame on some players for not fully buying into his vision. A worrying sign.

It won't happen because the club simply can't afford to do it but, having witnessed tonight's performance and JH's post match interview, enough is fast becoming enough. YES.

:shrug:

I think they can't afford to keep him, 2nd to 5th and a possibility of 6th surely equates to a loss of £200,00 plus though obviously no guarantee we would have actually finished 2nd , I think diminishing crowds are a real possibility though obviously a lot of season ticket holders will renew I think the patg customer numbers will drop as I certainly wouldn't pay to watch the stuff on display tonight, we must have got compo from hibs and earned a . Lot of money in cup final. So for me now its time to say bye bye to yogi and take boo boo with you 

Edited by jagster
  • Agree 1

Most people were skeptical of Hughes when he was announced as boss. All would give him a chance and rightly so. What he needed though to get people on side was a good start at the club with people already unsure of him. He's done the exact opposite. I personally know over 10 people who have said won't return to watch caley with Hughes still in charge how many others will join them at this rate if he remains so stubborn with his tactics?

I'm fed up of hearing this "be thankful that we are in the top league, top 6, punching above our weight, etc etc" fact is we have a side who are good enough for all that so why shouldn't we expect it from them? Unfortunately we have a manager that has destroyed what could have been a great season and needs to get the boot now! I feel sorry for the players having to play for this guy!

• Agree 3

If you are happy watching that sort of football for another season mithrandir that's fine but it'll be you and Hughes in the stadium alone. Don't think for a second the players will want to hang around with this style of football either as they are all being made to look like mugs due to his tactics.

I can accept his philosophy of passing football but it's just stubbornness and is seriously hurting the clubs performances and will do no favours improving attendances which is hard enough as it is.

I'll be there too. There's been plenty of times over the years I've not been happy with what's on the park but I still go to support the team. That's what I thought a supporter does, but perhaps I'm wrong.

The Board should cut their losses - pay off his contract in full - and accept they have made a bad mistake.  Otherwise, we risk losing everything we've built up, and the fantastic squad we have.  Players will leave, and fans will drift away.

Like many others on here, I don't buy this 'we're a wee team and we're punching above our weight, and we should be happy with what we've got' baloney.  We were really going places a few months ago, and playing football that everyone wanted to watch.  I feel really, really sorry for Billy - he's been let down badly.

• Agree 1

After our recent run of draws and defeats in games we would easily have won earlier on this season - count me in the 'mibbes' camp.

A good manager plays to his teams strengths. A good manager gets the most out of his players. A good manager gets results.

We are a big, strong, physical side who tear teams apart with pace, power and pressing.

Hughes seems to want the team to play like Arsenal no matter what.

It didn't work a few months ago, it's not working now, and it's never going to work.

• Agree 1

Find this John Hughes quote funny from BBC website. "You need to give them time and educate them". Eh John, those players were 2nd in the league when you took over. Now they are 5th. YOU NEED EDUCATED NOT THEM.

• Agree 1

I have always been the sort that says you need to give a manager time and not be rash and hope for success quickly. However we were in a successful place and playing decent football until Hughes came in ( or butcher left). Out of scottish cup embarrassingly so, final lost, 2nd to 5th in league and prob heading for 6th.

We are a simple club and as much as I think we have some great players for our size, we are not a fancy direct through the middle passing team like he wants.

We need to be 4-4-2 with 2 wide men willing to run and cross, take players on and 2 solid midfielders, one holding and one advancing with 2 up top, one advanced and the other the link to midfield who can drop back when defending.

This is poss the most frustrated I have ever been supporting the club.

I hope it stops soon and it wouldn't bother me at the moment if come the end of the season we are looking for a new manager. 6 games to see what happens..... I think we already know.

'They are a great bunch of honest lads' well if they are it might not be long until the honesty shines through and Mr Foran speaks up for the team to say they are not happy with tactics etc.

only plus is the longer contracts meaning no one can go for free in summer.

Also not renewing a season ticket after a few losses. You can't have been supporting the club very long if the thought of losing will turn you away.

I don't think the issue which many have is simply due to just losing games.

I don't think I have ever been at a ICT game when the crowd started showing frustion at players after only 5 minutes (even in the darkest Brewster and Baltacha days) . This frustration is really due to perceived tactical issues and also I believe reflects the fact that just 6 months ago we were feared by just about every team in the league. Not we are soft at the back and have to rely upon long shots for goal chances.

Many (in spite of what you, I or anyone else says to convince them to the contrary) will simply not attend to watch the current style of football.

IHE, and I am sure others, seems to be picking up the same vibe from people he knows and it is appearing inevitable that our core crowd will drop from 3,000 downwards. The people I am talking about have in most cases been season ticket holders for over 15 years.

Richie made it clear he didn't feel he's ready for that role yet.

That was then, now in times of crisis maybe he is the man to take the helm.

Loosing games is fine, players tired is fine, loss of form is fine, but the way we are playing is awful. We have gone from top of the league with a team full of players who were together to no what looks like a group of strangers with major confidence issues. We were 1st/2nd for a long time, great cup run and these guys were on a high, that now seems like so long ago the players are looking like relegation candidates - what has happened to the confidence?

Hughes has come in and tried to change the style of play yet resign all the players from the previous regime? Why? If he doesnt want wingers then why resign them?

He was a defender, yet we now cant defend even though we had one of the best records in the SPFL prior to his arrival. We dont use wingers or creative players, yet his assistant was creative and took players on - all we do is padd around between back 4 and midfield with nothing moving forwards. Guys like Ross and Doran who can create are dropped, Billy never gets the ball other than punted up to him, the full backs no longer try to overlap - I'm no expert in football management but the record since Jan shows its no working.

I am worried now that Hughes is going to be stubborn about his way of playing he will not acknowledge the fact it isnt working and slowly kill the confidence of the players and fans. Yes top 6 and a cup final is all good and great for the club, but this is the legacy of the last management team - we were there through player determination (cup semi) and other clubs not picking up as many points as they could, This should all be a lot better and more positive.

It's time for the fans to get behind the team.  My opinion and not everyone will agree is that Hughes won't  get sacked, the Inverness board have to think long term and while Hughes may not be the man for the job, he will be given time to prove himself or not as the case may be.

He's not the man for the job.  Why wait until it is an absolute disaster when we can see it is going that way?  Best cut your losses early.  No, I don't see Yogi getting sacked but that's a mistake.  Not something that should be supported.

The Inverness job is not the most attractive for an established manager and we are caught in the position where we need an experienced manager  to sustain our expectations and try to improve the team.

The 'who do you want?' thread contained a lot of good, affordable suggestions.  How this sustaining and improving working out?  Yogi isn't the man.

Who knows what will happen, but we are Inverness, we are in the top league, we are top six and we are here to stay.

I very much doubt it, with Hughes in charge.  Cannot see it for next season.

Twenty odd years ago in Inverness we would have been watching Highland League football if we wanted a live match, now we are bitterly disappointed if we don't beat Motherwell that's how far we have come, surely despite this bad patch this can be considered a success.

Of course it's a success.  But you're saying we shouldn't expect to improve in that sentence.  20 years ago, we would have been happy being in Division One.  But then, we didn't have this team.

The Board should cut their losses - pay off his contract in full

With Hughes struggling to get a job, I'd be astonished if the Board hadn't taken that into account with a get out of jail free card.  Hughes would have come with a contract that meant he could be got rid of without a huge pay-off.  Any businessman could see that.

I have always been the sort that says you need to give a manager time and not be rash and hope for success quickly. However we were in a successful place and playing decent football until Hughes came in ( or butcher left). .

Actually it was when Hughes came in.  Shearer and Foran did just fine before that.  I completely agree with this.  Managers need time to get established but we can see this is going so wrong.  We've got a good team signed up for next season that just needs a decent manager.  Not one with a perilous track record determined to change a winning philosophy to his old failed one.

I'm interested in how Kenny C and the Board will respond to all this.  Are they going to keep their heads down for the rest of the season, and hope against hope that things change - despite what they can see with their own eyes?  Even if one or two results go our way, who in their right mind would pay to watch that style of football?

The fact that most of our players are signed up won't stop clubs coming in for them.  I could see Ross, Doran, Watkins, Williams, playing elsewhere next season unless there's a change.  Why, if you're a winger, would you want to stay and play for a manager who doesn't believe in playing wingers?  And Mckay as well - it's so bleeding obvious that the service to him has dried up because of this attitude and style of play.  Why's he going to want to stay?

• Agree 1