Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

After about 6 months into the final season of Brewsters ill-fated second spell in charge the supporters trust called a meeting over the fans concerns about Brewster, I am curious if CJT are considering a meeting to discuss Hughes? The strength of feeling about Hughes, not only from fans on here but a vast majority I speak to is probably is as strong as it was about Brewster

It won;t happen yet, not until every excuse has been exhausted.

edit- which is a failure of the pally nature of all local relationships between media, sponsors and anyone else who needs to stay in regular contact with the club.  I guess its up to the SPFL Chairman of the Year and others with a financial stake/take from the club to shun people they don't see eye to eye with, couldnt blame them for it really, you cant critisise them from within.

Clacher, that's an inaccurate and quite odd response to Gordie's question. In answer to you both, there has been no request (to date) from the membership of CJT for any such meeting. If one was requested, it would be considered at the following Board meeting and voted upon. The outcome would depend on that vote. As regards the response, I'm not aware that our relationship with the club has in any way failed because it has become "pally" The Club and CJT are on friendly terms, but there are no questions or legitimate criticisms that CJT could not raise. As a shareholder, we would expect no less.

Without even checking, the last 4 finals were in order...

Dortmund v Bayern Munich

Chelsea v Bayern Munich

Barca v Man United

Inter v Bayern Munich

That one baffled me, too! I have no idea what game he's referring to!

Probably got mixed up between the Inter and Man United, easy mistake to make.

If you read the article it's the SEMI final in the European cup he mentions, of which was between Inter and Barcelona. Inter beat Barca over the 2 legs, with Mourinho playing a tactical masterclass. They then went on to beat Bayern in the final.

So not so baffling, easy mistake to make.  :wink:

Here's a reason: players.  The only player we have that can pass a ball is Tansey.  But he ain't quick.  We therefore need to get rid of Brill, Esson, Warren, Meekings, Draper, Foran, McKay and Vincent.  Doran, Williams and Watkins have to change to go more inward.  we then need to bring in a whole load of players for free and on low wages that can pass and move quickly, using intelligence and guile to undo the opposition.

We have no chance of getting those kind of players on our budget.  We don't have a single player on our books that suita that style.  Danny Lennon also wants to play that way but has a little more money.  How many of his players would improve ICT?

Or should we stick with the players and system that got us to 2nd place with games in hand?

Can we get a poll on this thread?  A simple Yes or No, that allows changes so we can see if results go up or down.

You don't need quick players (none of Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta are especially quick), it's the tempo of the passing he refers to. In fact, the same slow passing game many on this topic have lambasted. He's mentioning playing faster.

However it's debatable if we have the players who have the passing ability to play a quick tiki taka game.

Not only has he no real idea about what the 'Barcelona' style of play is given they have used overlapping full backs for years and all of their midfield go out wide but he obviously hasnt watched Barca lately without Messi playing.

Run of the mill La Liga sides can take them apart without Messi in there, even Celtic almost got a result.  People have been saying Barca are past their peak now this season, they haven't, its just that Messi has missed a few weeks of it

There was a BBC report fairly recently asking if Barca were in fact a BETTER team without Messi, not worse. Though I think there was a lot of emphasis on team. It was felt that with him out the team as a whole were scoring more goals and getting more assists between each other. The games with barca v Celtic and Ajax were effectively dead rubbers so it's not really a great example of their decline.

The BBC article has been changed since yesterday. It definitely said 'Final'!

However, what they've forgotten to also change is the rest of Hughes' blunder! Beating Barcelona in the semi didn't mean the 'cup goes back to Italy'!

I hope nobody connected to this club has actually tried to 'save face' and contact the BBC without getting the whole context right!

It now appears as though John Hughes thinks cups are handed out after semi-finals! Embarrassing!

That article has changed as I'm sure those who read it last night will testify, yesterday he was quoted as referring to a final between Inter and Barcelona.  Inters masterclass is besides the point, its Barcelona he swoons over...

""If you look at the European Cup semi-final two seasons ago, Inter Milan against Barcelona, Barcelona total football, a team I would pay money to watch, and yet it's a boot up the park, a flick on and it is in the back of the net and the cup goes back to Italy," he said."

Their passing it about style was ineffective, it was 2010 they played and in the first leg of the semi Inter beat them 3-1 and none of the goals were from a "boot up the park".

I saw that BBC article aswell and it only refers to Barcelona without their best player for the spell over Christmas.  I can only go by what I've seen on TV but they are alot worse off without him, this season it doesnt feel as much of a loss as he wasnt playing up to his usual standards until he came back in January.

Regardless of the ins and outs of the details, theres no doubt that Hughes is talking absolute p1sh throughout the interview lol.  The 'total football' he talks about (passing it about in circles) isn't played by any of the top sides anymore

The BBC article has been changed since yesterday. It definitely said 'Final'!

However, what they've forgotten to also change is the rest of Hughes' blunder! Beating Barcelona in the semi didn't mean the 'cup goes back to Italy'!

I hope nobody connected to this club has actually tried to 'save face' and contact the BBC without getting the whole context right!

It now appears as though John Hughes thinks cups are handed out after semi-finals! Embarrassing!

Well they won the cup, soooo he's not wrong.

But yeah I think he's neglected the fact they still had to beat Bayern, who were no mugs themselves that year and 3 finals in 4 years have proved. They've consistently been the best team in Europe in that period, but it wasn't until they thrashed Barca did people (other than myself) take note.

And it's Bayerns style the one to emulate. High pressing, fast play, good wingers and lots of goals throughout the team.

Personally I thought we were back to our usual fast paced, direct style of play tonight rather than the slower, short passing game that was on show in recent fixtures.

Maybe Hughes was trolling us all this week to sucker Adams in? :laugh:

• Agree 9

Just had a chance to read some of these comments.  What an utter seethe fest.  I was happy with the appointment (he was actually my 3rd choice behind Csaba and Shiels) and definately in my preferred candidates list. 

There's been many poor results / performances that have coincided with a ridiculous build up of games.  However, I do believe we would have had more points in the bag if we had played a more direct style.  This is dissapointing, and I do feel that perhaps Yogi has started to stamp his mark at the wrong moment.  During a back log of fixtures when we are chasing Europe is not ideal, and it has cost us valuable points.  However, leave it too late to practise this style in competitive games and it could lead to a disastrous start next season.  So I am in two minds.  He's started implementing his style and he's asked us for patience to get his new system working.  Therefore, that is what i'm going to do - be patient. 

I believe the majority of the players are happy to try it and he has the support of the dressing room.  Therefore he deserves the chance to try it.  All this chat about 'educating' players was perhaps badly worded.  I assume he means that it will take time for the players to learn / adapt to his style.  Yogi believes it will work, the players are on board so I am willing to wait and see.  If it all goes tits up, then at least we have a good squad in place if he needs to change style.

Last night was excellent.  There was some very neat passing play and it was a pleasure to watch.  The players will be glad of the rest now so hopefully we can line up with a similar formation after the split.  If we line up regularly with a similar formation as last night, and with the high quaility of players we have, then Yogi could potentially be a long term success at the club. 

• Agree 4

Last night surely emphasises that Yogi is experimenting and wants to find out what his best team, the best style to play, he already has a Plan A and A Plan B and he must be considering what he needs for the next season. I actually think that we will be 4th but I really hope that we do not get into Europe via the back door. There are quite a few players who need to perform to make their case for next season.

There is no doubt that we have not reached the expectations of earlier in the season but we were fecked by Butcher not Hughes. Personally I think, and hope, that there is a touch of sarcasm and stubbornness in some of his recent comments. Will phone Kenny to see if he wants me to offer therapy sessions just in case he is suffering from grandiose delusions.

Let's keep this in perspective.  I'm prepared to  give Hughes credit for selecting a team that did the business last night.  Mackay said in his interview that it was Doran and Watkins, and the width and pace they gave, that helped him play his own game.  But would he have played those two if Draper had been fit? And Foran as well?  Was there an instruction from the Board to respond to the boos against Motherwell, and revert to a system that works for us?  We shall see what happens after the break.  Hughes has made it clear in the past that wingers don't feature in his preferred way of playing - so has last night's performance 'educated' him?

Jhesus what does he have to do ?

Please all write 100 times - Terry Butcher fecked up our season. John Hughes took on a job that was always going to be difficult. If we had been awarded a stonewall late penalty we would have won a cup.

Hughes will be counted for next season.

• Agree 2

The irony is ofcourse that billys goal came from through the middle as did his great chance in the first half.

Last week i was at Liverpool v Tottenham and how we played and were set up is very similar to how liverpool were in all honesty. They kept a high defensive line, as we did. They kept possesion from the back, as we did. They attacked through quick passing and using WINGERS, as we did.

Brendan Rodgers has Liverpool playing the spanish/Barca model but it took over a season to get there. Liverpool at times last year were mince. Rodgers however had to rebuild a team and re-jiggle the whole squad.

Our luxury is that we have our squad all signed up for atleast another year and this squad is clearly able to reach higher heights and after last night i would personally like to see what Yogi can do. This summer our priority is to keep billy and add a couple extra strikers with pace and good strike rates.

After two weeks rest and time on the training pitch id like to see what we can achieve in the last 5 games. After last nights performance im actually quite enthusiastic about what we can do in our last five games

• Agree 1