Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

These days there's an almost constant underlying tones of vitriol, abuse, personal digs and damn right nastiness which is either aimed directly at other posters or at the manager, players, club, CJT...everything basically.

You've quoted my post and said the above, have I or my post/s upset you?

I agree with what you have written BTW.  I'd like the ability to block certain posts as they post absolute rubbish.  Constantly.

Many of the flippant comments I make on here are in response the overwhelming negativity being posted.  I apologise if they come across in the wrong way.

You must have missed the line in my post that reads "Slight tangent in response to remarks on negativity/criticism and not at all in relation to the quoted posted"

My comments were not directed at you in any way....I just couldn't be ersed starting a new post.

I want Hughes to succeed very, very much.  I like him and as I've said on several posts I do feel that he and ICT have the potential to be a perfect match.

What puzzles the bejezus out of me is why he'd resort to this tippy-tappy passing ethos when we have such strength in playing an attacking game.

Yogi's been in charge of two great performances in tinkwall and had us playing some great attacking football and (rightly) earned a lot praise for it.

So why try and change the playing style so radically?

And also why do it as such a time when we have a huge backlog of games to play and the players are tired?

IMO during this time they should have been told to play to their strengths, get a few wins on the board - some positive adrenaline further helping during a crazy fixture pile up.

Anyway I hope he's learnt something about the squad and players and what the majority of fans want to see during all this.

I've never got the impression that Yogi wants to abandon the attacking game...far from it.  He just views the squad as having the potential to play it on the deck with a bit more pace and style than his predecessor.

He's been saying for weeks that it's all about finding the balance and that balance was found in the match in Dingwall.  The challenge now is to use that to build confidence in the squad and have them believing they can do that on a regular basis.

I don't think he has tried to change things as much as some people make out...although he has had a lot of change forced upon him through injury, suspension and schedule.  The exact same thing happened to TB and will doubtless happen to us again in future.  The difference now is that we have almost a full squad that has some match experience and is ready to take to the field when called upon.  We also have a manager with more than one idea as to how the team can be set up to either overcome problems with injury/suspension or counter opposition tactics.

Did anyone else see the fixture congestion coming back at the start of December?  That is when Yogi would have been forming his plan for the remainder of the season.  Not saying you can't/shouldn't deviate from that plan to react to stuff that comes up, but there's little to be gained from doing a complete u-turn on it.  All that does is put doubt in the mind of your players...especially if you have their buy-in and belief of the new stuff your introducing.

We don't know that playing any differently would have yielded better results...in fact the only evidence we have on which to base any real thoughts on that is previous seasons and massive dips in form at the turn of the year were a regular occurrence under TB using the "don't change a thing and keep shoe-horning players into unsuitable positions" philosophy he adopted.  If anything, logic shows that without change a dip was highly probable...on that basis, is not better to at least try something different in an attempt to achieve a better outcome?

Had we not had a managerial change we could very well have been sitting in the exact same position as we are now.  Some would be arguing that TB had run the course with us and couldn't take us any further, others would be hammering him for failing to adapt/change to the situation, others would be defending him on the basis that we're punching above our weight and were in top 6 for second year running....blabbidy blabbidy blah.

(Slight tangent in response to remarks on negativity/criticism and not at all in relation to the quoted posted)

All that discussion around are the team playing the best, are they set up the best, should the manager do this or that, the manager is the best thing since pre-sliced bagels etc is all fantastic stuff...and it;s what I used to enjoy about partaking in the forum.  These days there's an almost constant underlying tones of vitriol, abuse, personal digs and damn right nastiness which is either aimed directly at other posters or at the manager, players, club, CJT...everything basically.

Anyone who thinks for one second that such things fall within the bounds of constructive criticism is seriously deluded.  We seem to have slipped into a world where people don't know the difference between abuse/critique and CTO becomes more and more of a cesspit every day as a result.

I withdrew my assistance as a moderator/admin on the forums partly because of pressure of work elsewhere and the difficulty from trying to wear too many hats....but what to give up was made easier because my conscience and personal standards meant I was no longer comfortable supporting the direction that things were heading in.

I don't read and/or contribute to the vast majority of the forum any more because it's not a nice place to spend any time.  I find it quite literally sucks the life from me...and I say that as someone who used to get a great deal of motivation and encouragement from a lot of the discussions that took place.

Very interesting CaleyD. From one who seemed to spend most of his time on CTO to one who feels "it quite literally sucks the life from me" is sad to say the least. I honestly believe that people should only criticise if they have the knowledge to do so and have a valued solution to the problem. Football is a subject that people feel they know but in reality there will be very few, if any, qualified to pass the comments they do. It makes me laugh, and sometimes annoyed, when I read some of the comments made by people who probably never kicked a ball in their lives at any reasonable level let alone at the level this club is now at. It's time some should really wind their necks in and let the professionals get on with their jobs!

Having seen CaleyD I very much doubt he has ever kicked a football let alone played at a decent level !

I honestly believe that people should only criticise if they have the knowledge to do so and have a valued solution to the problem. Football is a subject that people feel they know but in reality there will be very few, if any, qualified to pass the comments they do. It makes me laugh, and sometimes annoyed, when I read some of the comments made by people who probably never kicked a ball in their lives at any reasonable level let alone at the level this club is now at. It's time some should really wind their necks in and let the professionals get on with their jobs!

What a boring thing CTO would be if comments were restricted to those "qualified" to make comments! This is a fans' forum and not a managers' professional help line.  The views of all, no matter how ill-informed they may appear to others, should be welcomed.  In any case, just because you are not "qualified" (whatever that means) doesn't mean you are wrong.  Let's keep the diversity  of comments going however barking mad they may sometimes be.  As long as we respect the right of people to have views different to ourselves and don't respond in an offensive manner, then this forum will continue to be both worthwhile and entertaining.

• Agree 1

:lol:If you don't have the black to contrast the white how do we know what colour we are looking at? 

Unless they are accompanied by something designed to up-lift our spirits, of course.

Er--like my hand on a glass of Chivas Regal ..eh?

So negative criticisms do have their place.

Mostly in the dustbin. :lol:

:lol:If you don't have the black to contrast the white how do we know what colour we are looking at? 

Unless they are accompanied by something designed to up-lift our spirits, of course.

Er--like my hand on a glass of Chivas Regal ..eh?

So negative criticisms do have their place.

Mostly in the dustbin. :lol:

Yeah - like your choice of Scotch; too narrow! Much better going for a more expansive Highland malt...  :smile:

• Agree 1

You may think you like your malts but like caleyboy says, you don't actually know what you ike unless you are a professional whisky taster.  So let's not think we know what whisky tastes like and leave it to the professionals to tell us what we like.

• Agree 2

You may think you like your malts but like caleyboy says, you don't actually know what you ike unless you are a professional whisky taster.  So let's not think we know what whisky tastes like and leave it to the professionals to tell us what we like.

That doesn't make sense. I'm not a professional whisky taster but I do know what I like. Chivas is not a single malt so not one I would choose though Strathisla is one of my favourites.