Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

I wonder if say MALPAS did take the job on after TB left - would we have been doing any better than Hughes dya all think !

I wonder how we'd be doing if Terry Butcher stayed....

For the record, I was getting at the fact we could be doing even more poorly with him in charge. We didn't half capitulate towards the end of last season.

• Agree 1

It's noted that low number of posts from the predominantly negative, but NOT constructive, posters who rarely suggest any interesting solutions to the problem going forward other than the sacffold for John, signifies their lack of trepidity in launching into tirades of criticism against John Hughes and then long- serving  posters like IHE who have brought a breath of fresh air into this website for many a year and more.  Whose loyalty to the club  is beyond reproach which includes enough loyalty to all new managers to  accord them respect that they deserve of being given a fair time to make changes that may be beneficial in the long run. 

Yet George,for example, with his impressive 28 posts doesn't think it prudent to curb his acrimonious and ultra critical tongue because he doesn't know diddly squat about the views of the main body of posters on here,  many of whom are clearly not posting on this thread because they are heartily sick of the constant girning and whining of the few and can't be bothered to reply.  

It's one thing to cry for rights to express an opinion but another to present it in such a lopsided way as to leave the impression that there is no way on earth that it will not fall off the table before the sun has set in the West. Especially when nothing they say in that vein will have the slightest effect on the decision of the Board to continue to follow their present course, regardless.

What we need here is thoughtful and FAIR posters who can see the wood for the trees, can curb their stifling negativity long enough to actually present some positive, uplifting and semi-practical solutions for consideration and development by all right-minded fans which also, of course, includes  the fact that Mr Hughes will be staying for quite a while.

At this stage his sacking will achieve little of value and it might result in other so-called good managers getting apprehensive enough to NOT apply for the then vacant managerial position at ICT.

The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board  are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And  NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their  brains.

Excellent post SP, one of your very best  but I fear that it's content will fall by the wayside un-ingested by the negativiteers.  Currently they are having a whale of a time pulling the Club to bits, their joy pouring forth with every opportunity they get, like vultures and hyenas circling, impatiently waiting the chance of ripping apart a wounded prey. Relishing in it's suffering and desperately hoping it will not recover.   Should it succumb there will be a chorus of I told you so's,........A feast of secret smiles and sniggers.............. then prowl along to await their next target unsatisfied with their lot, just a thirst for blood!!!

• Agree 2

It's noted that low number of posts from the predominantly negative, but NOT constructive, posters who rarely suggest any interesting solutions to the problem going forward other than the sacffold for John, signifies their lack of trepidity in launching into tirades of criticism against John Hughes and then long- serving  posters like IHE who have brought a breath of fresh air into this website for many a year and more.  Whose loyalty to the club  is beyond reproach which includes enough loyalty to all new managers to  accord them respect that they deserve of being given a fair time to make changes that may be beneficial in the long run. 

Yet George,for example, with his impressive 28 posts doesn't think it prudent to curb his acrimonious and ultra critical tongue because he doesn't know diddly squat about the views of the main body of posters on here,  many of whom are clearly not posting on this thread because they are heartily sick of the constant girning and whining of the few and can't be bothered to reply.  

It's one thing to cry for rights to express an opinion but another to present it in such a lopsided way as to leave the impression that there is no way on earth that it will not fall off the table before the sun has set in the West. Especially when nothing they say in that vein will have the slightest effect on the decision of the Board to continue to follow their present course, regardless.

What we need here is thoughtful and FAIR posters who can see the wood for the trees, can curb their stifling negativity long enough to actually present some positive, uplifting and semi-practical solutions for consideration and development by all right-minded fans which also, of course, includes  the fact that Mr Hughes will be staying for quite a while.

At this stage his sacking will achieve little of value and it might result in other so-called good managers getting apprehensive enough to NOT apply for the then vacant managerial position at ICT.

The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board  are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And  NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their  brains.

You do raise an interesting point in amongst your waffling, where are all of the Hughes supporters?

I'm not sure where to start on the rest of this, at what point did Hughes earn this respect you say he deserves?  You bring up IHE as an example of an established poster on here showing respect, yet IHE himself openly has more personal digs at our previous managers psyche than anyone else on here, how is that showing unqestionable respect? 

Why assume that people are not posting on this topic because they think it is beneath them?  I'd say its safe to assume most people on here are firmly on the fence on this issue and thats only after our rousing win up in Dingwall, after that Dundee United game the pitchforks were out in force.  You have totally misread the vibes coming from the support as a whole.

"The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board  are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And  NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their  brains."

I guess you could say the the board demonstrated some rational thought in bringing in a guy on the cheap, who had been shunned by the rest of Scottish football after multiple failures.

Tell me SP.. in all this talk of yours of being fair, rational, respectful and downright gentlemanly when discussing the merits and potential of Hughes, at what stage do you sit down and look over the stats?  There has been a swing of 17 points and 1 trophy between ourselves and Aberdeen since Hughes took over, we were clear in 2nd place with games and points to spare, where are we now?

Edited by clacher_holiday2
  • Agree 1

Thing is i wonder what the board think about Hughes and the job he has done.

Good to see a new member getting right to the key issue.  When the Board contracted Hughes it was presumably on the back of a plan / strategy for taking the club onwards and upwards.  The question is whether the work that Hughes is doing is consistent with what was agreed with the Board.  If it isn't, the the Board would be entirely right to dismiss him.  But if what is happening is consistent with the longer term agreed plan then the Board should stick by him. 

Of course, we are not party to what has been said and agreed and therefore we are in no position to argue whether or not what we are witnessing is consistent with the strategy. But that does not mean to say that fans who are worried at what they are seeing should not be free to voice their concerns. Exchange of views is, after all, what a forum is all about. 

It seems to me that this thread would be better titled "Is Hughes doing a good job".  I think there are many people who share my view that managers are often sacked far to early and need to be given time to see their ideas through, but who also have serious concerns about what is happening with the team at the moment.  Numerous concerns have been raised in this thread and on several others and often these concerns have been raised in a very objective way.  It is not personal.  It is not Yogi bashing.  It is fans who want what is best for this club raising genuine points of concern.  On the contrary there have been hardly any posts onjectively justifying a view that Hughes is doing a good job.

It is all very well for folk to raise concerns but, as I say, it is the Board who know whether what is happening is consistent with what was agreed between them and Hughes when they gave him the contract.  There really can be little doubt that fans are perfectly justified in feeling they are being short changed at the moment and therefore I think it would be reasonable for the Board to be rather more forthcoming about what their hopes and aspirations are for Hughes' tenure as manager and how they square what we are currently witnessing with that.  I am not saying that Hughes should be sacked or even that he is doing a bad job, I am simply saying that I can't square what I am seeing on the park now as a reasonable stepping stone to what I want to see on the park in the future. 

Scarlet Pimple and bughtmaster: no-one wants Yogi to fail.  No-one is enjoying the terrible results*.  A number of us feel (quite justifiably) that Hughes has been disappointing so far and his past record suggests this won't improve.  As for suggestions, read over the posts where tactics have been discussed at length.  It's just insulting to suggest only supporting Hughes is loyal, every bit as much as anyone suggesting those supporting Yogi are hoping the club nosedives out of the SPL because it's not their wee club anymore if ICT are on the brink of success.

(*apart from maybe George as he's a Celtic supporter but I block his posts anyway)

You do raise an interesting point in amongst your waffling, where are all of the Hughes supporters?

I'm not sure where to start on the rest of this, at what point did Hughes earn this respect you say he deserves?  You bring up IHE as an example of an established poster on here showing respect, yet IHE himself openly has more personal digs at our previous managers psyche than anyone else on here, how is that showing unqestionable respect? 

Why assume that people are not posting on this topic because they think it is beneath them?  I'd say its safe to assume most people on here are firmly on the fence on this issue and thats only after our rousing win up in Dingwall, after that Dundee United game the pitchforks were out in force.  You have totally misread the vibes coming from the support as a whole.

"The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board  are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And  NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their  brains."

I guess you could say the the board demonstrated some rational thought in bringing in a guy on the cheap, who had been shunned by the rest of Scottish football after multiple failures.

Tell me SP.. in all this talk of yours of being fair, rational, respectful and downright gentlemanly when discussing the merits and potential of Hughes, at what stage do you sit down and look over the stats?  There has been a swing of 17 points and 1 trophy between ourselves and Aberdeen since Hughes took over, we were clear in 2nd place with games and points to spare, where are we now?

I don't think any of the people interviewed could have got it so badly wrong . Like I said before I take no pleasure in seeing thistle get tanked every week . The fact remains yogi will stick to his guns and work with the squad he has (his words) the worry is that I fear for the very survival of thistle in the top flight if he remains in charge .end of!

I still think that a lot of this is linked to expectation. I have to concede that the tactics fer the Cellic game, given the last Parkdread experience were totally flawed. Horses fer courses comes to mind. I still feel that we have no alternative other than stick to Yogi BUT we are losing season tickets and togetherness and hope - the " threat" of no signings is basically astonishing.

What this needs - and it is CRUCIAL - is a statement of intent from the BOARD - I appreciate the "feedback" from the likes of Caley D, davie and company - BUT sorry we need summat from on high - which has been worryingly missing of late. It feels to me that this club has an open wound and is bleeding - to stop it from haemorrhaging we need an infusion of "hope" and a First Aid declaration from the Board - and not the faithful minions - as to how we are going to stem the flow of blood.

• Agree 4

Guest Mahonio

It's noted that low number of posts from the predominantly negative, but NOT constructive, posters who rarely suggest any interesting solutions to the problem going forward other than the sacffold for John, signifies their lack of trepidity in launching into tirades of criticism against John Hughes and then long- serving posters like IHE who have brought a breath of fresh air into this website for many a year and more. Whose loyalty to the club is beyond reproach which includes enough loyalty to all new managers to accord them respect that they deserve of being given a fair time to make changes that may be beneficial in the long run.

Yet George,for example, with his impressive 28 posts doesn't think it prudent to curb his acrimonious and ultra critical tongue because he doesn't know diddly squat about the views of the main body of posters on here, many of whom are clearly not posting on this thread because they are heartily sick of the constant girning and whining of the few and can't be bothered to reply.

It's one thing to cry for rights to express an opinion but another to present it in such a lopsided way as to leave the impression that there is no way on earth that it will not fall off the table before the sun has set in the West. Especially when nothing they say in that vein will have the slightest effect on the decision of the Board to continue to follow their present course, regardless.

What we need here is thoughtful and FAIR posters who can see the wood for the trees, can curb their stifling negativity long enough to actually present some positive, uplifting and semi-practical solutions for consideration and development by all right-minded fans which also, of course, includes the fact that Mr Hughes will be staying for quite a while.

The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their brains.

I'm not sure where to start on the rest of this, at what point did Hughes earn this respect you say he deserves? You bring up IHE as an example of an established poster on here showing respect, yet IHE himself openly has more personal digs at our previous managers psyche than anyone else on here, how is that showing unqestionable respect?

Why assume that people are not posting on this topic because they think it is beneath them? I'd say its safe to assume most people on here are firmly on the fence on this issue and thats only after our rousing win up in Dingwall, after that Dundee United game the pitchforks were out in force. You have totally misread the vibes coming from the support as a whole.

"The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their brains."

Tell me SP.. in all this talk of yours of being fair, rational, respectful and downright gentlemanly when discussing the merits and potential of Hughes, at what stage do you sit down and look over the stats? There has been a swing of 17 points and 1 trophy between ourselves and Aberdeen since Hughes took over, we were clear in 2nd place with games and points to spare, where are we now?

I don't think any of the people interviewed could have got it so badly wrong . Like I said before I take no pleasure in seeing thistle get tanked every week . The fact remains yogi will stick to his guns and work with the squad he has (his words) the worry is that I fear for the very survival of thistle in the top flight if he remains in charge .end of!

I think Mr Cameron got it badly wrong and needs to act asap before its to late!! Even Craig Levein or the inexperienced Paul Telfer wouldn't have been as shocking as Hughes is turning into.

As for no new signings, WTF!!!

Next seasons starting 11 will be more or less same as this but the squad will be bare.

My patience has been waring thin ever since last Celtic game.

I really hope lack of season tickets sold for next season is an indication to board that all is not well!!

So much for "best chairman" in league!!

Time for you all to ask the Board the questions that you have posed on here then? I am surprised that you don't appear to have done that so far since you apparently have such strong feelings that John Hughes is a Smuck and the team is quite blameless.   That would be constructive I suppose.

Then advise us all of their answers. :blush:

Time for you all to ask the Board the questions that you have posed on here then? I am surprised that you don't appear to have done that so far since you apparently have such strong feelings that John Hughes is a Smuck and the team is quite blameless.   That would be constructive I suppose.

Then advise us all of their answers. :blush:

Scarlet, people are being "negative" as you put it because they are concerned, I can only speak for myself when I say there is nothing I would like more than Hughes to succeed but I have not seen much so far make me think that he will.

Another point I would like to raise with you is just because a member of this forum has made a large number of posts doesn't make his posts any more valid or indeed mean he is any more/less concerned than a poster with one post. 

• Agree 1

John "Yogi" Hughes should NOT be sacked for a number of REASONS

1. He got us top 6 and before you say it was secured with butcher it wasn't cause he was only in charge for about 12 games
  2. He got us to a final where we so easily could have beaten the sheep in it
  3. He has kept all our players at the club and the only way they will be leaving is for money which is great business on his part
  4. He is on course to set a new points record for us 
  5. He has two wins in Dingwall where as Judas has none (in the league) 
  6. Judas only got us 22 points so who must have gotten us the 31 points?
  7. He made a brilliant signing in Greg Tansey for free which has helped us massively in our matches 

All these points show how much Hughes has helped us so i don't see why you all want rid of him i mean sure we are going through a bad stage right now but really we have just been spoilt over the last two seasons in what we have achieved so obviously as soon as we start to lose it looks really bad but look back a few seasons ago at how bad we were, no wins against aberdeen now we are winning. No wins in dingwall in the league for yonks and it's Hughes who changes that twice not butcher Hughes. He is also still trying to adapt the team so right now anything we get in matches is a bonus cause he is still trying to get his methods over to the team.

Give the man some time him and Latapy were superb players and have done not too bad as managers we just need to show that we support them and not turn our backs on them after one bad defeat. If you aren't going to give him your support then that's fine but there is no need to say how bad he is constantly when you don't even go to the matches

:ictscarf:  :ictscarf: In John "yogi" Hughes I Trust  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:

Edited by caleydawson
  • Agree 3

1. He got us top 6 and before you say it was secured with butcher it wasn't cause he was only in charge for about 12 games
  3. He has kept all our players at the club and the only way they will be leaving is for money which is great business on his part
  7. He made a brilliant signing in Greg Tansey for free which has helped us massively in our matches 

All these points show how much Hughes has helped us so i don't see why you all want rid of him i mean sure we are going through a bad stage right now but really we have just been spoilt over the last two seasons in what we have achieved so obviously as soon as we start to lose it looks really bad but look back a few seasons ago at how bad we were, no wins against aberdeen now we are winning. No wins in dingwall in the league for yonks and it's Hughes who changes that twice not butcher Hughes. He is also still trying to adapt the team so right now anything we get in matches is a bonus cause he is still trying to get his methods over to the team.

Give the man some time him and Latapy were superb players and have done not too bad as managers we just need to show that we support them and not turn our backs on them after one bad defeat. If you aren't going to give him your support then that's fine but there is no need to say how bad he is constantly when you don't even go to the matches

Really???

You think we are in the top six because of what Hughes has done?

Of course I am not blaming Tansey for our poor form but we haven't been exactly brilliant since he came back.

And finally you are away of the mark if you think my concern about the management is down to "one bad result"

Edited by gordieict

After seeing CaleyDawson mention Yogi got us into the top 6 and I have also seen it mentioned other places I got intrigued to have a look at the stats and do a quick summary and this is what I have got:

Butcher - 22

Malpas - 3

Shearer - 4*

Hughes - 24

* - Including St Mirren Away on 7th December as Hughes was in the stands.

Edited by ICTRoughi

After seeing CaleyDawson mention Yogi got us into the top 6 and I have also seen it mentioned other places I got intrigued to have a look at the stats and do a quick summary and this is what I have got:

Butcher - 22

Malpas - 3

Shearer - 4*

Hughes - 24

Any idea number of games each was in charge for?

Butcher - 22

Malpas - 3

Shearer - 4*

Hughes - 24

Butcher - 11 league games

Malpas - 1 league game

Shearer - 2 league games

Hughes - 21 league games

Cup Games

Butcher - 2 games, 2 wins

Shearer - 1 game, 1 win

Hughes - 5 games, 2 wins and a draw

Butcher - 22

Malpas - 3

Shearer - 4*

Hughes - 24

Butcher - 11 league games

Malpas - 1 league game

Shearer - 2 league games

Hughes - 21 league games

Cup Games

Butcher - 2 games, 2 wins

Shearer - 1 game, 1 win

Hughes - 5 games, 2 wins and a draw

Thanks much appreciated 

• Agree 1

I am one of those people who hate managers getting the sack far too early or at the wrong time.

Yogi should be given atleast till October lets say to get a few players in the transfer window and get his ideas across to them aswell.

• Agree 1

Really???

Of course I am not blaming Tansey for our poor form but we haven't been exactly brilliant since he came back.

And finally you are away of the mark if you think my concern about the management is down to "one bad result"

Well the stats above like ICTRoughi posted show he got more points so yeah i do feel it was Hughes that got us Top 6. Well he did only score that peach in the semi final and set up quite a few goals since coming not as if that's a big deal in football scoring goals like. Still he needs time to adapt the players into his way of playing so why are judging him before we gets a proper chance to put forward his methods. What do you think we should do then????

Really???

Well the stats above like ICTRoughi posted show he got more points so yeah i do feel it was Hughes that got us Top 6. Well he did only score that peach in the semi final and set up quite a few goals since coming not as if that's a big deal in football scoring goals like. Still he needs time to adapt the players into his way of playing so why are judging him before we gets a proper chance to put forward his methods. What do you think we should do then????

If you look at his points to games ratio its not top six material.

I agree Tansey is a good signing but its not like Hughes found as a gem from nowhere the guy had played for the club before.

What would I do now, not so sure but then again I wouldn't have hired him in the first place due to his track record.

• He got us top 6 and before you say it was secured with butcher it wasn't cause he was only in charge for about 12 games

As mentioned in the thread, we only needed seven points.  Hardly a triumph in that case.  Are you also not worried that when he took over, we were second and going strong but have now plummeted to fifth, with sixth looking a real possibility.  Hughes's points ratio since he came is 22 points in 22 games.  That's relegation form.

• He got us to a final where we so easily could have beaten the sheep in it

If it was so easy, we didn't we do it?  He also won one match, on penalties, against what must be the worst Hearts side in decades and we even nearly bottled that.

[*]He has kept all our players at the club and the only way they will be leaving is for money which is great business on his part

Only Draper and Vincent have re-signed under Hughes, hardly "all our players" as you call it.  Most contract renewals are dealt with by the chairman as well.

• He is on course to set a new points record for us 

The points ratio under Butcher was much better than Hughes.

• Judas only got us 22 points so who must have gotten us the 31 points?

As mentioned previously, Hughes has 22 points in 22 games.  That's relegation form.

• He made a brilliant signing in Greg Tansey for free which has helped us massively in our matches 

Brilliant?  He's been good, but he's not been fantastic.

All these points show how much Hughes has helped us so i don't see why you all want rid of him i mean sure we are going through a bad stage right now but really we have just been spoilt over the last two seasons in what we have achieved so obviously as soon as we start to lose it looks really bad but look back a few seasons ago at how bad we were, no wins against aberdeen now we are winning. No wins in dingwall in the league for yonks and it's Hughes who changes that twice not butcher Hughes.

The points do not show how "Hughes has helped us" at all.  I don't understand the point you're making about Aberdeen, Hughes has only beaten them once and Ross County are garbage.  The fact they're our rivals shouldn't matter.

He is also still trying to adapt the team so right now anything we get in matches is a bonus cause he is still trying to get his methods over to the team.

Why should we just be happy for a bonus?  Why does the team need adapted, when it was going strong when he took over?  Isn't pre-season the time to change tactics.  Doing it mid-season is absolutely ridiculous and not working.

Latapy was a superb player, Hughes was a good player, but no world beater, but that has nothing to do with it.  Also, there previous records are not good at all.  Latapy was sacked by the Trinidad and Tobago FA and failed to get them to the Gold Cup.  Hughes failed everywhere but Falkirk and even then it wasn't exactly fantastic, they were almost relegated, bottled the cup final with the general consensus being that he would have been sacked had they not gotten there.  It's also interesting that their fans don't seem to rate him at all, despite being this "success" that everyone goes on about.  Hughes first became a manager 11 years ago.  He's done essentially nothing in that time.

Oh and for the record, I've only missed one match since Hughes took over.  

Edited by Renegade

Thing is i wonder what the board think about Hughes and the job he has done.

They won't say in public. The first hint you will get that they are not happy is giving Yogi his P45

The first hint's usually a resounding 'vote of confidence' is it not?

• Agree 1

Excellent post SP, one of your very best  but I fear that it's content will fall by the wayside un-ingested by the negativiteers.  Currently they are having a whale of a time pulling the Club to bits, their joy pouring forth with every opportunity they get, like vultures and hyenas circling, impatiently waiting the chance of ripping apart a wounded prey. Relishing in it's suffering and desperately hoping it will not recover.   Should it succumb there will be a chorus of I told you so's,........A feast of secret smiles and sniggers.............. then prowl along to await their next target unsatisfied with their lot, just a thirst for blood!!!

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg