Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

For the last time, I WILL NOT SUPPORT ANOTHER TEAM JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WANTS ME TO, I gave an opionion which I am entitled to and if you don't like it then fair enough but thats one abusive post aimed at me and THREE times that I have been told more or less to gtf, give it a bloody rest ffs!!

At no point did I suggest that you should. I merely pointed out that your expectations may lead others to suggest that. An analysis of the top flight of Scottish Football since the 12 team, split league model shows that only two teams have achieved a number of points consistent with the win rate you consider acceptable.

So to get your desired win rate, you would need to support one of those teams. If you do not wish to support one of those teams, than maybe a different win rate would be more sensible.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but if it is based on unreasonable expectations, then others are entitled to voice their opinion and challenge those expectations.

If you think my post was telling you to GTF, it wasn't. I was merely using some facts (remember them?) to suggest that your expectations and choice of football team may not quite match up.

If you don't like the attitude of our fans, you could always try..., oh wait. maybe not.

• Agree 3

For the last time, I WILL NOT SUPPORT ANOTHER TEAM JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WANTS ME TO, I gave an opionion which I am entitled to and if you don't like it then fair enough but thats one abusive post aimed at me and THREE times that I have been told more or less to gtf, give it a bloody rest ffs!!

At no point did I suggest that you should. I merely pointed out that your expectations may lead others to suggest that. An analysis of the top flight of Scottish Football since the 12 team, split league model shows that only two teams have achieved a number of points consistent with the win rate you consider acceptable.

So to get your desired win rate, you would need to support one of those teams. If you do not wish to support one of those teams, than maybe a different win rate would be more sensible.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but if it is based on unreasonable expectations, then others are entitled to voice their opinion and challenge those expectations.

If you think my post was telling you to GTF, it wasn't. I was merely using some facts (remember them?) to suggest that your expectations and choice of football team may not quite match up.

If you don't like the attitude of our fans, you could always try..., oh wait. maybe not.

Mahonio, you were only mocked for coming out with a ridiculous win rate percentage along with many of the other drastic things that have been said.

You are totally welcome to support who you like, but the following post merely pointed out that a win percentage that high would be beyond fantastic for any team outwith the OF in most years. If Hughes got that I'd happily see him get a 6 year deal.

69% is currently what English league leaders Liverpool have after 36 games. If at this stage next season we've won 25 of 36 games I'd be utterly delerious, particularly in doing so we score 100 goals in the process.

Hint, it's not gonna happen. I'd more than happy with Evertons 56%.Very Happy.

65% win rate? :laugh:

Here is the win % for this season in the EPL fot the top five sides. Not many managers would get Mahonio's seal of approval. I think you are being very ambitious with that one.

Martinez 55%

Wenger 61%

Pellegrini 68%

Mourinho 66%

Rodgers 69%

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

This is the win % of each team so far this season just to show that 65% is a very unrealistic target when only one team managed to make it too that 

Aberdeen - 54%

Celtic - 82%

Dundee U - 45%

Hearts - 25%

Hibs - 22%

ICT - 42%

Killie - 25%

Motherwell - 54%

Partick - 20%

Ross County - 25%

St Johnston - 42%

St Mirren - 25%

Rounded down to the nearest whole %

Edited by caleydawson

Mahonio - no one is asking you to give up but if you post a something 'controversial' or 'extreme' then people will likely challenge it.

Edited by RiG

We should go for that guy in America, Anson Dorrance who manages some women's football team.  His win record is something like 94%*!  I don't know what the standard's like (probably rubbish!), but still that's quite impressive!

* No joke!  Look it up!

We should go for that guy in America, Anson Dorrance who manages some women's football team.  His win record is something like 94%*!  I don't know what the standard's like (probably rubbish!), but still that's quite impressive!

* No joke!  Look it up!

The best way to get a huge win rate is to find a sugar daddy and bring in better and higher payed players than your rivals can. For instance Davie Kirkwood at Brora has a win rate of 91%

• Agree 1

I really don't care about win percentages

Just read Doofers Dad analysis  of the situation about record defeats 

I can see relegation fodder when it jumps out at me

I can see Messrs Warren , Meekings,  McKay, Doran  and maybe Ross heading to Hibernian in the summer

The scenario is grim and the outlook is bleak unless the board make some enormous decisions.

So lets have no more stats and a little more realism. I have watched football at all levels for the best part of 8 decades so I know a little bit about teams going downhill.

Edited by Laurence

I really don't care about win percentages

Just read Doofers Dad analysis  of the situation about record defeats 

I can see relegation fodder when it jumps out at me

I can see Messrs Warren , Meekings,  McKay, Doran  and maybe Ross heading to Hibernian in the summer

The scenario is grim and the outlook is bleak unless the board make some enormous decisions.

So lets have no more stats and a little more realism. I have watched football at all levels for the best part of 8 decades so I know a little bit about teams going downhill.

:laugh:

Not a chance.

• Agree 2

Doran - contracted to end of 2015/16. The rest all contracted to the end of 2014/15 ... so any summer move is going to cost Hibs. Cannot see them paying out for 5 ICT players especially as Butcher has probably been told to do what he did here and unearth cheap/free gems !

Besides ... why would they want to drop down a division ? 

• Agree 5

If you were one of ICT top players  would you ask to leave, or stay and have relegation on your CV.

If a better offer comes in would you take it?

Edited by Laurence

If you were one of ICT top players  would you ask to leave, or stay and have relegation on your CV.

If a better offer comes in would you take it?

Wasn't aware relegation was in the offing? Last time I looked we weren't in the bottom 6? Also offer or no offer these players are contracted.

Contracts don't mean a thing if a player is unhappy and wants out, he will go.

Right enough, half a team all under contract leave a team to go to another for free......happens all the time   :clapping:  

I was indicating ( Crystal ball wise) about the situation in a years time if the board don't sort out the mess we are in and likely to be

And you know it  so why the pedantic post?

Scotty you can get 4.1 against Hibernian being relegated. So fill your boots

Even if they did there is a good chance they will be back quick sticks.

Butcher has done it before, if my memory serves me right.

Iain

Not sure what you mean?

I was indicating a team cant keep an unhappy player, or want too.

Any agent worth his salt would have a moderate buy out clause I feel sure.

Edited by Laurence

Scotty you can get 4.1 against Hibernian being relegated. So fill your boots

Even if they did there is a good chance they will be back quick sticks.

Butcher has done it before, if my memory serves me right.

Current form guide has Hibs in the playoff spot. 6 defeats in their last 6 games, winless in 10, and only 2 wins in 2014 (V Hearts & County)

Back quick sticks? As mentioned above, in a league with some pretty strong contenders, perhaps not !!! and as I am sure Heilandee will testify, and Butcher said it himself when we were there, if you dont get out at the first attempt, then it gets harder each year due to the gulf in finances. 

Butcher has done what before? taken over a team and been relegated the same season? yup, he has right enough. the difference this time is that it IS his fault. Oh, you mean promotion .... yup he did but you are comparing apples and oranges (literally). In our promotion year Dundee's bottle crashed and there was no-one else that was a realistic contender, next year, there are a few and even if one fell by the wayside others wont. 

anyway, this is not about Butcher its about Hughes and we are once again getting dragged off topic. 

This all came about with me trying to show a particular scenario , which could happen

In a former life I was a Contacts manager  for British rail. My job was to oversee contracts the emerging  rail companies were signing prior to privatisation.

I know for a fact that contracts can be broken . Take for instance a players agent applying to the courts on the grounds of  "changed conditions" - He could say at the time of signing  the manager was Terry Butcher, Now it is John Hughes. That is just one example of contract breaking.  I am not saying a player will. But in life anything is  possible. So to sit in an Ivory tower thinking players can't leave  is not realistic.

To make a contract watertight is not easy. These agents are not daft they cover all basis.