Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

I am not a fan of Hughes but can he really be blamed for todays result.

Have a look at Celtic's results over the past few months http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/celtic/results

What am I looking for. I see quite a few 3-0's, 4-0's and 5-0's. Over that I also see many clean sheets. And therein lies a problem. Yes there are games where teams, including ourselves, have scored against them but these are few and far between. 55 games and 31 clean sheets. They are hard to break down and frustrate opponents to the point where heads go down. I ask myself, had we gone in 1-0 at half time what would the outcome have been?m Had we not given away a penalty a few minutes into the second half what would the result have been.

• Agree 1

I am not a fan of Hughes but can he really be blamed for todays result.

Have a look at Celtic's results over the past few months http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/celtic/results

What am I looking for. I see quite a few 3-0's, 4-0's and 5-0's. Over that I also see many clean sheets. And therein lies a problem. Yes there are games where teams, including ourselves, have scored against them but these are few and far between. 55 games and 31 clean sheets. They are hard to break down and frustrate opponents to the point where heads go down. I ask myself, had we gone in 1-0 at half time what would the outcome have been?m Had we not given away a penalty a few minutes into the second half what would the result have been.

Alex for me the problem is he didn't seem to learn from the last time we played Celtic. There are many what could the outcome have been if this or that happened, its the same in every game fact is we were lucky it was only 5.

We have gone from being a team that Celtic used to hate playing to one they must wish they were playing every week 

Edited by gordieict

Does anyone have the stats of what our goal difference was when Hughes took over, I think it may have been quite healthy although I could be wrong.. at present its -1 the worst in the top 6

Edited by gordieict

Of course he can be blamed. Not for the loss but the manner of losing. The number of goals. The undue pressure due to pretending Warren and Meekings are Dave Narey and Alan Hansen. If this was a one off, then no problem but its not. Definitely not.

Does anyone have the stats of what our goal difference was when Hughes took over, I think it may have been quite healthy although I could be wrong.. at present its -1 the worst in the top 6

It was +10

Thanks for that, I suppose that is the effect to the 2 Celtic games

Yep Mr Cameron has to have balls to admit he was wrong and wield axe and put an Interim in charge for rest of season and take time to make RIGHT appointment.

I am curious to know George, who would you have as manager, I say Ian Murray with Charlie Christie as number 2?

I'd go along with that defo - Murray is a leader and like Paul Hartley knows a player and gets the best out of them -look at Stevie May for example -could not get a game under lomas and Paul changed all that in a season -I don't blame yogi as he was entitled to apply for the job like anyone else but there were hundreds on here horrified when his appointment was announced .

Does anyone out there really think that Hughes has been a good choice, done a good job and in hindsight would still have gone for him?  I know I don't.  When I look down to the dug-out now, I see a man who doesn't look to me know like he knows what to do.  He's really nothing more than an all-out possession based Craig Brewster.

Forget all this paper-talk as well about the likes of Gary Warren saying the players are loving it.  He's not exactly going to say it's rubbish is he?!  Heard again yesterday from a totally different source that some of the players are absolutely hating it.  People can dismiss that if they like, but I'm afraid that it's almost certainly a fact.

Edited by Renegade

I don,t understand why he was in such rush to destroy a successful team. I would have thought it would have been prudent to change the way we play next season rather than destroy the players confidence and morale this season

Give him the preseason and time to bring in some of his own players and then ask if he should be fired 1/4 - 1/2 through next season!

If he can some how get andrew shinnie back he would fit into hughes style of play really well!

Edited by Ayeseetee

We couldn't get the ball up to Andrew Shinnie.  It would still be played around at the back by players that can't play around at the back.

I also don't see we have any moral obligation to fulfill a contract in terms of keeping Hughes for the full term (or any length of time).  We have an obligation to fulfill the TERMS of the contract.  So, if we get rid, then we have to pay off whatever was agreed.  I can't believe that would be very much as Hughes was struggling for a position and would have been on the back foot in terms of negotiating ability.

Yogi has also stated he won't get the chance to bring in his own players so that's that shot down.  I also don't see we need a player revolution, just a manager that can play to their strengths.

We couldn't get the ball up to Andrew Shinnie.  It would still be played around at the back by players that can't play around at the back.

I also don't see we have any moral obligation to fulfill a contract in terms of keeping Hughes for the full term (or any length of time).  We have an obligation to fulfill the TERMS of the contract.  So, if we get rid, then we have to pay off whatever was agreed.  I can't believe that would be very much as Hughes was struggling for a position and would have been on the back foot in terms of negotiating ability.

Yogi has also stated he won't get the chance to bring in his own players so that's that shot down.  I also don't see we need a player revolution, just a manager that can play to their strengths.

Whilst we disagree about the moral obligation to Hughes, you are right about the relatively low cost of parting company. Given the parties', relative negotiating positions at the time of appointment, our commercially astute board will have ensured that was the case.

It's noted that low number of posts from the predominantly negative, but NOT constructive, posters who rarely suggest any interesting solutions to the problem going forward other than the sacffold for John, signifies their lack of trepidity in launching into tirades of criticism against John Hughes and then long- serving  posters like IHE who have brought a breath of fresh air into this website for many a year and more.  Whose loyalty to the club  is beyond reproach which includes enough loyalty to all new managers to  accord them respect that they deserve of being given a fair time to make changes that may be beneficial in the long run. 

Yet George,for example, with his impressive 28 posts doesn't think it prudent to curb his acrimonious and ultra critical tongue because he doesn't know diddly squat about the views of the main body of posters on here,  many of whom are clearly not posting on this thread because they are heartily sick of the constant girning and whining of the few and can't be bothered to reply.  

It's one thing to cry for rights to express an opinion but another to present it in such a lopsided way as to leave the impression that there is no way on earth that it will not fall off the table before the sun has set in the West. Especially when nothing they say in that vein will have the slightest effect on the decision of the Board to continue to follow their present course, regardless.

What we need here is thoughtful and FAIR posters who can see the wood for the trees, can curb their stifling negativity long enough to actually present some positive, uplifting and semi-practical solutions for consideration and development by all right-minded fans which also, of course, includes  the fact that Mr Hughes will be staying for quite a while.

At this stage his sacking will achieve little of value and it might result in other so-called good managers getting apprehensive enough to NOT apply for the then vacant managerial position at ICT.

The Board is NOT going to react in the same way that they think because the members of the Board  are mature business persons and rational and reasonable people NOT usually likely to go into orbit with knee jerk reactions. And  NOT young bucks feeling their oats and letting that feeling overcome their  brains.

• Agree 5