Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

I'm pretty sure we could count on getting the points to get top six confirmed from the position we were in before the last manager left. I mean, even Hughes managed to get that.

Any team can lose to a smaller team on the day.  Would McInnes be the Manager of the Day if he lost to Alloa, then went on a disatrous run where he barely managed a home win and was showing relelgation form?  A one-off isn't something that happens nearly every week.

As for Ross County, have you seen where they are in the table?  Of course, we should beat them!  And we did that by switching tactics away from his philosophy.

So, all we have to do is hope that Yogi revitilizes a winning team that is now going through a terrible run of form.  Something he hasn't managed before, yet this time it will all be different despite the same philiosophy.  What was Einstein's definition of madness again?

But, yeah, it's not Yogi's fault.  It's the players that got us to second with games in hand.  It's the fans for complaining about a disastrous run of form, no goals for and plenty against.  Come on Yogi!

If you weren't concerned before, you should be now.  That's scary stuff.

He dismisses the implied criticism by scoffing at the alternative of kicking it up the park and giving it back to Celtic to come back at us again.  Well, to be honest I would rather give them the ball well in their half when we have 8 or 9 players behind the ball than on the edge of our box with only the keeper to beat. Getting the ball up in the opposition half removes the immediate danger and gives us a chance to pressure them into mistakes. But Hughes is quite clear that there is nothing wrong with the tactic of passing it around at the back - if it doesn't always work it is because the players are simply not good enough at it and need to get better. 

There was a fair bit of blaming the players in that interview - players heads going down and not sticking to the game plan when we went 3 - 0 down.  Was going 3-0 down in the game plan?  Was there no change to the game plan when it was clear it wasn't working?  That must be one of the most uninspiring interviews I have heard for a long time. 

Hey, hey, hey DoofersDad.  We must be supportive of Yogi, remember?  It's the negativity of the fans causing the bad results, so we have to be positive.

It's pretty clear Meekings and especially Warren can't play the Yogi way, so Warren must go.  I know he loves the training but he's an old style central defender.  No room for that in the new Barcelona.

Then we can bring in a ball-playing central defender.  Danny Wilson is probably available soon.  He would be a big increase in wages but we must support Yogi in getting rid of the truly appalling players we have.

Come on, Yogi!  Keep passing it around at the back.  Sooner or later, we might have the players to play that system, so let's prepare in advance.

Go Team Yogi!

• Agree 3

That is a depressing interview. Might have been better for him simply to have kept quiet. I hope that that's not the line he's taking with the players. Latapy strikes me as more articulate. Maybe the job of post match interviews should be delegated to him.

Edited by Kingsmills

Guest Mahonio

The man just doesn't have a clue!!

Why is he so stubborn to realise that against certain teams they need to play on the break and keep it tight at back and blaming players id just ludicrous.

Sooner he goes the better imo.

As I've said, this passing style of play is good to see but it isn't producing results so he needed to change it or use it against certain teams.

I really don't give a damn what people say about this post because I want him sacked, END OF!!

......as I said earlier in the thread - this is Yogi's "project Barca" and he will not be swayed, despite all the evidence (e.g. that playing more direct against County actually worked). Don't forget, the Great Man will "educate" the team and all of us and it will come good...

Positively sh!te

Is it just me but did a lot of that actually makes sense. He is saying that he wants to try and stick to the same pattern irrespective of who he is playing. That may actually be Hari-kari at Parkdread but I also felt that he had a point about the hoof. Changing the system is a learning curve. I also think that he is right about some heads going down and some players being outmuscled - he didn't name and shame them but I am sure that he pointed it out in the dressing room. In many ways this is trying to minimise the hoof.

• Agree 2

Guest Mahonio

......as I said earlier in the thread - this is Yogi's "project Barca" and he will not be swayed, despite all the evidence (e.g. that playing more direct against County actually worked). Don't forget, the Great Man will "educate" the team and all of us and it will come good...

Positively sh!te

"It will come good" you say, my arse it will!!

I really can't believe this man is still getting backed as his record since coming in has been nothing short of diabolical, not sure of his overall win % but I reckon it'll be below 50%.

John and Kenny both must be worried, especially John as he will be fearing for his job.

Positively sh!te

"It will come good" you say, my arse it will!!

I really can't believe this man is still getting backed as his record since coming in has been nothing short of diabolical, not sure of his overall win % but I reckon it'll be below 50%.

John and Kenny both must be worried, especially John as he will be fearing for his job.

sql57d.jpg

• Agree 1

C'mon.  Be positive.  What would you rather have?  Playing Butcher's style and only drawing 2-2 (we'll never match them, of course), then losing 1-0 versus Celtic, or Hughes style where, yes this year, we might get pumped by eleven goals to nil, but next year, after a close season when Hughes has got rid of dross like McKay and Warren and got some right good laddies in that can play like Barcelona, we will be beating Celtic by 7-0!

BELIEVE!

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

Of course, I'd rather draw 2-2 playing "boring football" than losing 6-0 playing attacking, that was a stupid question!

Yeah, but as Yogi says, if we're under pressure at the back, what do we do?  Just lump it up to Celtic?  We should play around at the back, then maybe, in a year's time, we'd be like Brazil 1970!  The only other alternative is to lump it up to one of our players.  Can't see Warren liking that in training.

Wow, some people on here really must hate poor John. Murderers Rapists Armed Robbers etc don't even get the comments this poor guy gets. Maybe those who don't like it should GTF and find another team to support - one which has some plonker of a manager who will keep them happy.

If you are going to say someone's record is diabolical then at least have the facts. Saying its diabolical and then saying you don't know what the numbers are is daft .... especially when you are only 1 click away from getting those numbers !!!  

look at the bottom of this page. http://caleythistleonline.com/page/TPL/squad.html

His record is 7 wins 10 draws 10 defeats or 25.93% which is definitely 'below average' but not necessarily diabolical ... Butcher had 9 wins in 13 games (69%) which is ridiculously high. 

Want to talk abysmal ... Aron Winter at TFC who I mentioned earlier in the thread had a 10% win rate in MLS in 2012 (1 in 10 before getting sacked) then his replacement Paul Mariner had 16.7% (4 wins in 24) before getting the bullet too. Ryan Nelsen had 17.6% last year but has got 50% so far this year (only 6 games in though) 

Guest Mahonio

Wow, some people on here really must hate poor John. Murderers Rapists Armed Robbers etc don't even get the comments this poor guy gets. Maybe those who don't like it should GTF and find another team to support - one which has some plonker of a manager who will keep them happy.

There is that stupid phrase again.

I will not go and support another team just because you want me to, how many ******* times do I have to say this!!!

And of course 25% is poor, Wilcox at Scunthorpe is under 100%, I would rather a manager who is above 65%!!

Again is it only me but in the 2-2 draw we had a dream start and then we parked the bus. We ended up being rather fortunate to come away with a point. And many complained that we resorted to the "hoof" during that game leaving Billy totally isolated and simply giving the ball back to Cellic.

All of a sudden - and not surprising from a psychological perspective - Butcher is being lauded.

And of course 25% is poor, Wilcox at Scunthorpe is under 100%, I would rather a manager who is above 65%!!

Alex Ferguson's overall record at Man Utd was 59% and in the early years (first 4) this was closer to 33% (ie. average). We cant afford, nor would we attract a manager who wins 2 out of every 3 games ... In Scotland, Neil Lennon and other Celtic managers of the past are around 65% or upwards in wins. Rangers stats show most of their managers in the 65% area too. 

Terry Butcher may have been sitting on 69% before he jumped ship but who is to say it would have stayed that high ... in the preceding seasons he had win percentages of 35%, 26%, 40% and 56% (promotion from D1)

I couldn't agree more.  Just look at the comments by RiG and DoofersDad.  They haven't even mentioned that we're one win each against Ross County (a very proud record if you ignore the first one).  Although they're talking about tactics, you know, deep down, that it's really his weight that they want to criticise but they're just too scared.  They're not actually making any personal comments but it's implied they hate him due to factors other than football.  That just makes it worse.

One thing you can't say about Hughes.  He's no plonker of a manager.  Both Alex Ferguson and John Hughes have had bad starts to their management of their respective clubs, so just imagine how good we will be soon.  The only difference is SAF took over a team needing an overhaul as they were relegation material, whilst Yogi took over a team in second place with games in hand.  But is that really important if a defender enjoys training?  After all, Warren sees more of the ball now than he ever did under Butcher.

Guest Mahonio

Alex Ferguson's overall record at Man Utd was 59% and in the early years (first 4) this was closer to 33% (ie. average). We cant afford, nor would we attract a manager who wins 2 out of every 3 games ... In Scotland, Neil Lennon and other Celtic managers of the past are around 65% or upwards in wins. Rangers stats show most of their managers in the 65% area too.

Terry Butcher may have been sitting on 69% before he jumped ship but who is to say it would have stayed that high ... in the preceding seasons he had win percentages of 35%, 26%, 40% and 56% (promotion from D1)

I am not sure if its win % I am asking for, it is his overall percentage. It is the one which usually gets shown on Sky Sports News when a manager gets sacked, it usually gives the number of matches, amount of wins, draws and losses in that timeframe and then a % which usually shows that manager deserves sack, it might be on tonight showing how Andy Awford got job full time at Portsmouth.