Inverness CT -V- Partick Thistle

Scotty

What was it Yogi was saying about winning ugly between now and the end of the season............

Basically...i felt it was a repeat of the Final. Woeful performance in the first half, but things improved in the second half. There is a severe lack of creativity in that team from my point of view. Countless times today.....players had the ball and the chance to run at the partick goal...but they look for any pass that can be made...rather than running at the defence. Badly need someone who can do just what i suggested. 

Still tho.....its a badly needed win and 3 pts on the board

So, really, what you appear to be saying, Smee, is that the team's confidence is at a low point. So zest and enthusiasm is also low?

That's more or less the equivalent of my pet peeve which is repeated passing back to the goalie or back and fore between the full backs.

But another couple of good wins will soon sort that I feel.

I understand there was  sun and snow today--not the best environment for a really nice big crowd. However the crowd today was not inspiring was it? Truthfully I just don't know where we go from here to get the fans  in the doors. And that could be even more depressing that a diminishing confidence of the team?

holy sh1t did we need that.  onwards and upwards.

Top 6 secured, not that it was in doubt.  Would 4th be enough for Europe if Aberdeen and Dundee United get to the final?  Rangers cant get in to Europe I think was mentioned in that interview with Yogi but I may have read it elsewhere.

First half was a complete non starter. The only player going in at half time with any credibility was Deano, 3 fantastic stops from Taylor, 2 from open play and one from a free kick. We could barely get out of our own box at times, let alone our own half. Tansey did have one ambitious effort from distance when it bounced up nicely, was unlucky with his effort.

Boys came out fired up for the 2nd half. They were fighting for the ball more in midfield and Billy was starting to get in behind their defence some more. Before breaking the deadlock we passed up a couple of guilt edged chances. Tansey going clean through and lobbing it over Gallacher...and the bar, the next up was Billy who was found at the back post with just the keeper to beat, he took the touch, steadied himself but put it well wide when it seemed easier to score...even if it was his weaker side.

Well taken set piece for the goal, struck in by Shinnie, knocked down by Draper and headed in by Billy. Rest of the game seemed to peter out. Partick had a few set pieces but Deano seemed to be on hand for most of them. Christie got on again and again looked tidy on the ball, we need to see more of him.

To sum it up a win, a clean sheet, a goal and a home win Yogi...cant ask for much more than that after the week we have had. 

• Agree 4

We were second best in the first half but improved in the second half. Maybe just about merited the win, and certainly needed it. Onwards & upwards now.

I wasn't too keen on Vincent playing on the left as he instinctively kept coming inside leaving us very narrow. Glad to see Nick & Marley coming on, and think they need to feature more in coming games (especially if Dorans out). I think we can only have three of Tansey, Draper, Foran & Vincent playing at any one time.

We'll gratefully take the three points and move on.

• Agree 3

holy sh1t did we need that.  onwards and upwards.

Top 6 secured, not that it was in doubt.  Would 4th be enough for Europe if Aberdeen and Dundee United get to the final?  Rangers cant get in to Europe I think was mentioned in that interview with Yogi but I may have read it elsewhere.

Rangers indeed cant play in Europe. We still need to get a fourth place for a chance regardless of SC winners and that means overtaking someone and that would likely need to be Aberdeen or DU as I think they and not Motherwell are the ones who'll drop points.

First half was as bad as we've played all season. Far too much tippy tappy stuff in our own half. Goalie plays it short to centre half, midfielders come deep to pick up the ball and knock it around between them, play becomes congested in our half, Partick close down, we lose possession. Rinse and repeat.

Second half was excellent. Our shape was much better, we had width, we pushed men into forward areas, we had much more movement up front, and we played much more direct long passes. This stretched the game and ultimately was too much for Partick to handle. We should have scored 2 or 3.

When we try to play like Arsenal (i.e. first half) we struggle and look like relegation fodder, when we play to our strengths (i.e. pressing and direct) we are much more dangerous and look as good as anyone outside Celtic.

• Agree 1