Why Hughes should STAY!

Eagle4Caley

I feel that John Hughes has done a good job with us on the basis that we are still maintaining our status as a top six side. In truth Yogi's reign at ICT could have gone horribly wrong for the reasons already stated (Mass exodus, drop in form etc)

In the first few months of his tenure, I wasn't overly keen on the style of play because at times the players seemed quite alienated to the idea of playing in our own half because under Butcher it was attack, attack. I kept saying to myself to wait and see what happens with a proper pre season under his belt and the style of play and absolutely we are seeing the nice, slick football and yes it's very easy on the eye. I personally thought that last Saturday's match was easy on the eyes and quite an enthralling match between two good football teams.

I do also share the thoughts of Renegade regarding the Rangers and Cup Final games. I felt that both Rangers and Aberdeen were there for the taking and if we pressed them more, we could be sitting here as Cup Winners 2014 and still in the cup etc.

Absolutely Yogi deserves all the credit, joint top of the table in October is something to be proud of but for me the most important time period for ICT is the winter period, when we have our annual 'slump', when the weather starts affecting the pitches and of course we don't have a two week break in January so it's going to be intense.

As Yogi says let's roll the sleeves up and have a go at it!

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 2

ICTRoughi....I can't comment on the Rangers game, but I felt we did pretty well in the Cup Final, first absorbing Aberdeen pressure, then nullifying their threat...for 20-25mins of the 2nd half we were in complete control, but couldn't get the goal, and blew ourselves out. I think we relied too much on Billy to get the goals. I think the team now would win that game...yes I know you have to take the chance when presented, maybe we weren't quite good enough, but there are several players who have come on a fair bit since that game.... helped I in my view by Yogi's stewardship

• Agree 1

ICTRoughi....I can't comment on the Rangers game, but I felt we did pretty well in the Cup Final, first absorbing Aberdeen pressure, then nullifying their threat...for 20-25mins of the 2nd half we were in complete control, but couldn't get the goal, and blew ourselves out. I think we relied too much on Billy to get the goals. I think the team now would win that game...yes I know you have to take the chance when presented, maybe we weren't quite good enough, but there are several players who have come on a fair bit since that game.... helped I in my view by Yogi's stewardship

I was at the Rangers game and I felt that we gave Rangers too much respect and didn't press them high enough and then they got their lucky goal. If we were a bit more ruthless, we would have trounced them IMO.

The cup final, I think that's when Yogi was starting to implement the passing style of play and again at that time it was a new style that the players weren't adapted to yet and again we didn't press Aberdeen high enough meaning they could sit back and play for penalties which played into their advantage having 30K fans on their side. In my opinion we were definitely good enough to win the final but we didn't press them enough to win it.

All that being said, now I feel we are at a happy medium where the players have hammered home the style of play that the gaffer wants to play and in my opinion they have got the style of play sussed to a tee now. If we played the cup final tomorrow, I'm convinced we would walk out of Glasgow with silverware.

As they say, time is a great healer.

SP, you ask, "are you still not happy with the progress recently made since the change of management?"  I ask, what progress are you referring to?  As I said in my post, I am very encouraged by the improved performance at the start of this season compared with the end of last season - but since the change of management?

Since Yogi took over we have played 42 competitive games, winning 15, drawing 13 and losing 14.  In the year and a bit before Butcher left we played 58 competitive games winning 25, drawing 19 and losing 14.  Can you please explain how a significantly inferior record over a prolonged period represents progress?  These are the facts.  There is no point accusing me of being negative just because I base my comments on the facts.

If you read my posts you will see I am actually being very positive about the team.  I state "I am absolutely delighted that we are where we are".  I refer to our "wonderful squad" which I believe can "do something really special". And in talking about whether we can finish in the top 3 this season, I state "I firmly believe this squad is capable of doing so."  Just how much more positive can one get!

You also ask "when will you ever just come out and just say that J.H is doing a great job?"  The answer is simple.  When the results and performances on the park demonstrate that he is!  Yes, I know we are second in the league and that is great, but we are only just over a quarter through the season.  We have a great squad who should be able to stay close to the top throughout the season.  If we can achieve that then I will be absolutely delighted to say that Yogi has done a great job.  In truth, there is still some way to go before we can say the team has progressed under Yogi's management but he certainly has my full support and best wishes for the task ahead.

• Agree 2

I have been keen on Yogi since he arrived but I knew it would take time for his style of play to work. To focus on the poor start is wrong - remember Butcher's start - relegation. Remember the songs about Dennis Wyness - he had an awful start but would be seen as one of the best strikers ever to grace this club.

While we are only part way through the season I do not expect a dip in form or results - if Billy hits a scoring run I expect things to get better.

Roll on Saturday and the test of an away game at Parkhead - even if it goes wrong there we should just write that off and carry on.

Some of the football this season has been the best we've played in the Premier League and I don't see it changing in the near future.

I am hugely encouraged by his start this season.

I don't quite get how some are still trying to find negatives, the team with one of the lower budgets in the division sitting 2nd, the players appear to have bought into his style of play, chances are now being created for Billy and once he takes one he will start banging them in again.

Negatives? nah not for me I will just enjoy it.

• Agree 2

The only negative I have about Yogi at the moment is his monotonous post/pre-match interviews. That sound exactly the same, each week haha. 

But aye, journalists, pundits and all sorts have claimed to admire our football this season, I'm not complaining.

Missed that. Did he, for once, speak in something other than cliches ?

The bit from 2:45 onwards rivals Al Pacino's 'Any Given Sunday' speech imo.

SP, you ask, "are you still not happy with the progress recently made since the change of management?"  I ask, what progress are you referring to?  As I said in my post, I am very encouraged by the improved performance at the start of this season compared with the end of last season - but since the change of management?

Since Yogi took over we have played 42 competitive games, winning 15, drawing 13 and losing 14.  In the year and a bit before Butcher left we played 58 competitive games winning 25, drawing 19 and losing 14.  Can you please explain how a significantly inferior record over a prolonged period represents progress?  These are the facts.  There is no point accusing me of being negative just because I base my comments on the facts.

If you read my posts you will see I am actually being very positive about the team.  I state "I am absolutely delighted that we are where we are".  I refer to our "wonderful squad" which I believe can "do something really special". And in talking about whether we can finish in the top 3 this season, I state "I firmly believe this squad is capable of doing so."  Just how much more positive can one get!

You also ask "when will you ever just come out and just say that J.H is doing a great job?"  The answer is simple.  When the results and performances on the park demonstrate that he is!  Yes, I know we are second in the league and that is great, but we are only just over a quarter through the season.  We have a great squad who should be able to stay close to the top throughout the season.  If we can achieve that then I will be absolutely delighted to say that Yogi has done a great job.  In truth, there is still some way to go before we can say the team has progressed under Yogi's management but he certainly has my full support and best wishes for the task ahead.

Dont get me wrong I can see what you are saying but you are suggesting that under hughes we have made no progress but I want to know what you expectations are. Last season was poor but the players had to adapt to a new approach and without a lot of time to impliment it with our backlog of games and s led to mistakes and we lacked a cutting edge. The debate there would be why change when he said he wouldn't but after a pre season to get to know it we have played pretty well in most games and won plenty of games. Just because his record doesnt have as many wins than under butcher what are expectations that can say we can do better. We wont win the league and may if we get lucky have a good go for 2nd so why is he still not hitting the heights. Your right in saying most fans would have vilified him if we had continued as last finished but it hasnt and i think most fans are happy to let last season go if we continue to do well. As for your comment on the derby yes it was a terrible first half but teams have bad games and lets be honest with the size of our squad it more likely than teams with bigger squads. Second half we battered then and played some terrific football but for some poor finishing and some rather annoying goalkeeping we would have battered them. 

John H had to overcome more than just the reluctance of players to buy into his methods, he had also the negativity and severe criticism to absorb, consider, reject and stick to his guns. It was his way or the highway which I think shows the mettle of the man. -Courage, tenacity  and belief. 

These are all valuable traits in a person. What I did not particularly care for with Mr. Butcher was a sense that he was insincere and a bit too angry on more than one occasion to be altogether believable. This seemed to  precede a revelation of unpredictability and a  bit of imbalance, perhaps, in his personality. For sure, the way he acted in the final analysis was so self-motivated and such an awful way to  treat both the club in general and the top Management as well revealed what he was all about.  

With John Hughes I get a strong feeling that what you see is what you get so you can predict with more confidence  what the actual goals are for him and how he will react in adversity. I shoirt I have confidence and trust in him. For me that means a great deal.

• Agree 2

For  those facts to be a reflection of form Yogi has 16 games left to better Butchers results.

I am very impressed with how things are going just now, defence solid enough (going by match thread, even Celtic found it tough to breach at times), only problem is lack of goals but hopefully that will come.

All in all, this season has started well and long may that continue :-).

Next two games are MUST wins.

Utter nonsense. 

I agree with you there PumpFake i am to say we need to win the next two matches is stupid because if we don't then what is the worst that could honestly happen we are only 12 league matches into the season we still have another 26 MATCHES!!!! 

Hamilton's bubble will burst, Motherwell can't buy a win and we are unbeaten at home. How is it wrong to expect two wins from two.

Because football is a magical sport which is why so many people love it, anything could happen. You cant expect a result cause i mean some people expected us to get destroyed by celtic today but we didn't, some expected us to go massively down hill after TB let us but we haven't.

• Agree 1

Hamilton's bubble will burst, Motherwell can't buy a win and we are unbeaten at home. How is it wrong to expect two wins from two.

Because football is a magical sport which is why so many people love it, anything could happen. You cant expect a result cause i mean some people expected us to get destroyed by celtic today but we didn't, some expected us to go massively down hill after TB let us but we haven't.

If we have European aspirations, its vital to pick up 6 points in our next two games IMO.

We have the team to do it hence why I'm like IHE expecting us to do so.

Magical or not, top sides consistently beat teams like Hamilton and Motherwell. Hamilton are a good side but have lost 2 and drew 1 of their last 3. At home we should expect to win. Motherwell home or away on their current form we should expect to comfortably win

• Agree 2