Why Hughes should STAY!

Eagle4Caley

Expecting to win and describing games as being "must win" are totally different frames of mind. Of course we should should expect to win games against teams level/below us in the league but the idea of there being "must win" games at this stage of the season is ridiculous, as caleydawson pointed out.

Expecting to win and describing games as being "must win" are totally different frames of mind. Of course we should should expect to win games against teams level/below us in the league but the idea of there being "must win" games at this stage of the season is ridiculous, as caleydawson pointed out.

If Aberdeen beat Ross County tomorrow night then they will be on the same points tally as us also factoring that Kilmarnock and Dundee are 3 and 4 points behind us respectively.

It's not ridiculous to say the next two games are must wins - they really are if we want to stake a claim in the top 3/top six

If Aberdeen beat Ross County tomorrow night then they will be on the same points tally as us also factoring that Kilmarnock and Dundee are 3 and 4 points behind us respectively.

It's not ridiculous to say the next two games are must wins - they really are if we want to stake a claim in the top 3/top six

Dont think so. We're on 23 and Aberdeen on 19 at the moment.

It's not ridiculous to say the next two games are must wins - they really are if we want to stake a claim in the top 3/top six Dont think so. We're on 23 and Aberdeen on 19 at the moment.

Apologies, my maths skills are pish!  :blush:

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

10 months ago I witnessed a couple of Yogi's first few games in charge (0-4 down to the Dons at HT before fighting back to 'only' lose 3-4, and then losing 0-1 to Celtic a week later with a better performance but no bite), then a couple of weeks ago I witnessed another game (winning 1-0 against DUFC).

The difference in the style of play and dare I say it, in the belief some of the players seem to have, is very noticeable to someone who usually gets their ICT fix over the radio and only sees them in person once in a while ... Unlike the Christmas debacles, the team played well in the game I saw a couple of weeks ago and despite a few squeaky bum moments when Ciftci (primarily) got the ball, we were a better side than them all over the park. Things may not always go to plan with Yogi (or with any manager for that matter) and that is frustrating as hell when you know what they CAN do, but when he has them playing well then he is doing as good a job as any manager we could have under the circumstances and constraints that will always be around our club.

I have to add that it was good to see Yogi having a bit of banter with the crowd at the DUFC game (not sure if this is normal?) and also giving the 4th official pelters for the lack of consistency in the refereeing ... he appears to still be a punter at heart !!!

• Agree 3

I have to add that it was good to see Yogi having a bit of banter with the crowd at the DUFC game (not sure if this is normal?)

I'm led to believe this is a fairly regular thing and he did it before when he was at Falkirk.

Never witnessed it myself though as I don't sit in the Main Stand, mainly due to the fact I'm not a multi-millionaire!

Incredible to think that after less than a year in charge Hughes is now the seventh longest serving manager in the 'Premiership'.

It's crazy to think that Yogi has been at ICT nearly a year ago. Feels like yesterday he just joined!

• Agree 1

‘Another tactical masterclass from Big Yogi and the Team.  This has to be some of the most intelligent football ever played by Caley Thistle.’ Caley D

Great game to watch, great players, great performance against a good team’ 12th Man

First time we've ever been top of the league as late as November’ Yngwie

The first time in just over 3 years that we've won a league game after conceding the first goal.  The curse is broken!’ Yngwie

Thats the best performance i have seen in a long long time’ Forza Caley

Patience and persistence has it rewards! Well done Yogi!

• Agree 13

• 2 months later...

at quick glance it was May 2011 when we last won 4 league games in a row. We beat Celtic 3-2 (H), St Mirren 1-0 (H), Hibs 2-0 (H) and Hamilton 1-2 (A). We have won 3 league games in a row 6 times since then but not 4.

There is no doubt that those of us you were cynical about Yogi's ability have so far been prove wrong and I suspect each and every one of us are delighted to be so.

The next big test will be close season when a major squad overhaul appears to be on the cards. How he does with his own players will be the final test. What he has earned, in my view, is a contract extention and at least two full seasons with his own players.

• Agree 4

Heres one for the Stat heads out there.....or at least, those with a good memory (unlike myself).

Is this the most competitive position we have ever held this "late on" in the season (3 or so points off top spot near the end of january)? I know we have been in good positions before, up till about xmas, then we hit a slump for the second half of season

This is (apparently) our highest ever points total (44) after 22 games.

Ever.  In any division.

What happened to football armageddon?!

Scottish football needs a strong... nah forget it.

That's an amazing stat! But, sadly, not quite true! In 96/97 on the way to our first promotion, we had 47 points from 22 games. Damn!

But having 44 from 22 games in the top-flight is staggering.

• Agree 3

It is very illuminating to compare Tuesday's performance with a match which took place 15 months ago at Easter Road.  In that game, ICT won 2 - 0 and it could have been 4 or 5.  The style of play was both exciting and skillful and drew comments on the match day thread such as this from AJS "We raced into that lead with ease as Hibs ran out of ideas almost straight from kick off, despite a couple of shaky moments at the back from Brill. Doran, Watkins, Ross and Shinnie overpowered their back line with some fine passing and smart runs".  Sound familiar?  What is also remarkable is the similarity in starting line ups: of the 11 that started at Easter Road only Foran was missing from Tuesday's starting line up.  One slight difference is that on Tuesday we moved up to 3rd in the league - on 9 Nov 2013 we moved up to 2nd.

It is true that Butcher behaved despicably at the end of his contract and it is also true that Hughes is a likable and engaging character, but that should not cloud our memories to the fact that Hughes inherited a squad of exceptional players who were capable of playing exceptional football.  It seems to me that the similarities of the two games mark Tuesday's game as a key point in Hughes' tenure as manager.  After the dismal slump at the end of last season, the team is now back on track and back up to playing at the level it was when Hughes arrived.  We now have to see if he can sustain this for the rest of the season and beyond.

I'm afraid I am not yet ready to join the Hughes love fest quite yet.  What he has done has been done with the players he inherited.  It has also been achieved by moving away from the philosophy he was espousing this time last year.  Then he was commenting that whilst Butcher liked to use width, he wanted his team to pass the ball through the middle.  Full backs were stopped from making surging runs down the flanks but fortunately he has now realised that using the width of the park is one of the strengths of the team.  In the last 2 home games we have had great goals scored following the ball being played wide into space for Raven and Tremaco to run onto.  Not only does this tactic obviously work, it is also exciting to watch. 

We are therefore back to where we started by virtue of having the luxury of a settled side and by a change of heart in the style of play.  One thing that is different is a stronger emphasis on possession and it is this aspect which may be the key to whether Hughes can take the team forward or not.  Butcher's philosophy was essentially "you can't score unless the ball is in their half and you won't concede if the ball is in their half".  Hughes' philosophy is "you can't score unless you've got the ball and they won't score if you've got the ball".  Butcher's philosophy led to a a faster pace and a more gung ho approach.  Hughes' philosophy leads to a more measured and patient approach. 

What we need to see and I think are perhaps beginning to see is a combination of the 2 philosophies - "you'll score more if you've got the ball in their half".  As players get more comfortable in possession and that little bit slicker and accurate with their passing they need to be a bit bolder in playing the ball into the gaps and getting the ball forward quicker.

I give credit to Hughes for getting us back on track by appreciating what the strengths of the team are and moderating his style accordingly, but I think there are a couple of things he needs to achieve before I become a fully signed up member of the Yogi fan club.  Firstly, he needs to up the pace of the possession football.  If a focus in training is keeping possession and passing quickly then if the players are developing in this they should be able to play more incisive balls forward.  It would be good to see less of the side to side and then back to the keeper stuff that so many people find exasperating.  Using the width of the park creates more space for this.  Signs are promising that progress is being made in this regard and I am optimistic that Hughes can take this team to a higher level. We should be able to judge him on that at the end of this season. 

Secondly, he needs to demonstrate that he can bring in new players who are comfortable playing the system.  Hughes has been incredibly lucky to inherit such a great squad and to be able to retain them into his 2nd season.  Clearly we are going to lose players this summer and new ones will need to be brought in.  We won't be able to judge him on that till the end of next season.

Having pulled things round from the disappointments of his early months, I am optimistic that Hughes can take this team forward. But lets not get carried away - it's still far too early for the statue.

• Agree 1

Sorry DoofersDad, but I think you are looking for comparisons to justify your early (and some continued) thoughts on Yogi's managerial acumen.

It's far too easy to pick a single match under the old managerial personnel and draw comparisons to one game under the new guy.  You have to take a wider view and and there's no way you can say that Butchers philosophy of hoofing balls down the channels is anything like the way we play now.

I'm not saying that they way Butcher played was right or wrong, but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable to watch as the football is now...and arguably not as successful.

I also think it does the players a huge injustice to suggest they are only just getting back to where they were before in terms of performances.  These are guys who have (arguably not for the first time) re-invented the way they've been playing the game and pushed themselves on to another, higher, level.

What's more....we are once again a team that is improving week on week, the same team that some thought had plateaued under Butcher.

• Agree 3