Why Hughes should STAY!

Eagle4Caley

Sorry to get into this DD, but having spoken to Yogi after almost every game of his tenure thus far, he hasn't changed his philosophy one jot. It's simple - if we keep the ball the opposition can't hurt us. It's also pretty effective, we've scored a lot of second half goals as teams tire after being moved around so much. Under TB, we would increasingly put long diagonal balls into the channels for crosses but there were times when it really didn't work. Now, that ball is played into those channels effectively.

In terms of change from TB to JH, the transition was quite painful as the style of game was changed radically - hence that "slump" at the end of last season. The first bit of that was to teach players that they were good enough to play this type of game ( and not hang them out to dry for their mistakes) and then get them to do it. They never had that type of approach under TB. Look at Hughes's interviews and see how often he uses terms like "teach" "educate" "learn"  What you are seeing now is a group who have outgrown TB's legacy and surpassed it with some ease. This is due to Hughes & Latapy. Please bear in mind that the players you refer to were identified in England's lower leagues by Steve Marsalla for their low price and potential and it's under Hughes that they are realising it and increasing their value. This is no more Butcher's team than anyone else's - it's Caley Thistle's team but it's Hughes that is taking it forward.

• Agree 10

That's an amazing stat! But, sadly, not quite true! In 96/97 on the way to our first promotion, we had 47 points from 22 games. Damn!

But having 44 from 22 games in the top-flight is staggering.

Yeah, I did wonder about that season Sneckboy when I heard the stat.

I wondered if they just meant top flight seasons?

It's not good enough - 5 points off the mark.  Hughes must go...  :amazed: 

Man I loved that 96/97 season!  Also to this day my favourite ICT top.  :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

I confess, I underestimated John Hughes - but am delighted to admit it! Although we've players to get signed-up, I agree with Kingsmills (from an earlier post) that we should be looking to extend the manager's contract. He's proved his worth.

I was a huge Terry Butcher fan but the club will always be bigger than any personality.

Here's a table to celebrate both Terry and Yogi's time at the club - and Robbo's, of course! But, Paterson (for me) remains the 'God' for improving our then novice club, year-on-year in the Scottish League.

Key:

Red = best ever

Year = season ending (ie 2004/05 = 2005)

Any entry = 'best ever' or equalled 'best ever', at the time

New nomenclature used ie (old 3rd Division = League Two)

post-3020-0-35256600-1421940309.jpg

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 4

I must say I am enjoying the various insights from people...and I rather agree with Kingsmills that Yogi's next big test (aside from finishing 3rd in the league and beating Partick in the Cup) is the summer transfer window when Graham Shinnie and Billy McKay may have departed ...and when we may get bids for Watkins, Christie and Meekings (dreading the thought)

One thing that I think is being recognised is that a) Yogi has maintained ICT's stature in the upper level of the SPL, whilst b) having changed the style of football, and c) having found different sources of goals than just McKay

Theres nothing wrong with praising Hughes's style of football and criticising Butcher's but why weren't these people saying that at the time? In fact, it used to be the case that any hint of criticism of their then Dear Leader, was met with a jumping down of the throat within a matter of minutes. How times have changed...

• Agree 1

A tipsy Slovak, a sailor boy, goes into a pub in Hamburg, Germany, sits down at the bar, looks at the guy sitting next to him and says... "My name's Vyshinski - Vyshinski,  with a hyphen. What's yours?"

The Scotsman, also a  mariner, looks him up and down and replies " a whisky and a steiner of good beer, laddie."

:smile:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I decided to bump this given Yogi's achievement of a second Semi final in 12ish months and a Final :notworthy:

And still being in 3rd place at this time of the season....even if this is partly to do with Dundee Utd's implosion, given our small squad (and barely an orthodox striker to boot)  it is still a major achievement :clapoverhead: , although I would suspect hanging onto this place with the Final coming up will be a tough call, let's face it who wants to pick up an injury now?

If we win the Cup and get into the Europa League next season, he should definitely stay :lol: :lol:

Next season could be a toughie though :unsure: