The Men Who Watch Goal Posts?

DalgetyBayJaggy

Does anyone know what the two blokes sitting behind each goal at the cup final were meant to be doing?

They had 'pitch control' or something similar on the back of their HiVis jackets, were sitting on fold out stools, one behind each post, and seemed to be watching the posts....or the grass....

Best guesses so far:

Although they didn't look particularly fast or fit they were there to stop/tackle streakers?

Make sure no-one nicks the goalposts during the game?

Goalposts recently painted and had to make sure no-one leaned against them and got paint all over their Sunday best?

There to break up any fights?

Give the impression that it's a European match with extra 'officials' behind the goal?

Any help on solving this mystery greatly welcome!  

I was really hacked off with the Aberdeen under 12 boys dancing behind the goals during the shoot out. This should never have been allowed at a major national final our boys showed a bit more respect and sat down when asked. I thought the whole affair was very amateurish!  My pal in Glasgow also noticed the Aberdeen neds whilst watching the match on the box! Anyway rant over I think it was the Aberdeen Ned who had a kind of Mohecan who put our boys off, I'll go as far as to say he cost us the final lol!

I may be wrong but I think it was Peter Lorimer who said that he would see someone in the crowd behind the goal in row G or whatever, focus on them through the net and then try to hit the ball as hard as possible at them.  Had Greg and Billy aimed to knock the head off one of the Aberdeen lads, things might have been very different.

But back to the OP.  Very good question to which nobody seems to have come up with a remotely plausible answer yet.

• Agree 1

Does anyone know what the two blokes sitting behind each goal at the cup final were meant to be doing?

They had 'pitch control' or something similar on the back of their HiVis jackets,

A pitch control is a control on an audio device such as a turntable, tape recorder, or CD player that allows the operator to deviate from a standard speed (such as 33⅓, 45 or even 78 rpm on a turntable).

Hope this clears it up.

• Agree 1