Keep calm and carry on

wynthank15

As someone who seemed to be in the minority of wanting rid of Brewster the season BEFORE we were relegated (our second half season performance was only just better than Gretna) I can't say the same YET about John Hughes.

The second half against Motherwell was dominated by ICT and I can see what JH was trying to do with the players in terms of ball retention. The problem was that we played to feet so often on the edge of the 18 yard line that we ended up with 4/5 players facing the ball with their backs to goal. When the ball is played to feet we need two players running off the receiver towards the box to break the offside line created by the defence. This is something the players need to work on including running from deep so that one ball over the top breaches the back four (something which has damaged our own defence too often since JH's arrival)

Renegade made an appropriate post on the string for sacking Hughes along the lines of watching his (Hughes) teams is like watching Barcelona without the goals. This is fair comment. You can only play this style of football if the players have the intelligence to implement it. An observation from that night is that Foran is one of the worst passers in the team despite his battling qualities, when playing in midfield he should be told just to win the ball and give it to someone who can pass.

Keeping the ball or not is what produces goals for and against.

Just a comment on the cup final, I believe adventurous managers would have changed our team immediately after Hayes was substituted, without him and Pawlett Aberdeen's pace and penetration was significantly reduced, bringing on more attack minded players immediately would have sent a message to Aberdeen's management and players and put them on the back foot. I accept that hindsight is 20/20 vision and understand why he didn't do it but as I say the best managers would have made that move however controversial.

We are comfortably in the top six, if JH style produces goals and attractive football then everyone's a winner, if not and the players can't adapt then a change is needed though I don't believe that decision is required until next season unless upcoming results suggest relegation.