The midfield

Doofer

I think it is about time the Hughes rejigged the midfield. Playing Vincent, Tansey, Foran and Draper together just doesn't work. There is no width and no real pace. Once they get the ball they are always looking for the next pass and not looking to run forward with the ball, sometimes its almost as if they are scared to go forward and want to pass responsibility to someone else. I would like to see Hughes start with Ross and Christie in the coming weeks to freshen things up and add a bit of pace. He needs to resort to the 4-2-3-1 as it is clearly our best formation. I think Draper and Vincent in the holding role. Christie, Ross and Watkins ahead of them with Billy up the top. That would give us 2 very good passers of the ball with good awareness in the holding role with a pacey attack.

With top 6 secured and wins not coming our way at the moment, would it not be a good time to shake the team up a bit?

Yeah it really has to be Draper and Foran or Tansey. I'd want my captain playing, but there certainly isn't the room for Draper, Vincent, Foran and Tansey in the same 11. You've also got Polworth pushing for a start now.

Ross should play more. I feel there are plenty of physical players to make up for his lack of presence, as he has better vision and guile for the defence splitting pass. He doesn't really give it away passing either. So ideally in an attacking midfield role.

Be nice to see Christie play a bit more with Doran out. He clearly has something and now would good be a good time to get plentiful 1st team exposure.

Rest some of the boys and get them to earn their spots back.

• Agree 2

At times tonight we seemed to be getting in the way of each other in the middle of the park. A lot of misplaced passes tonight as well which often undid good posession we had. I think Richie and James V need a rest. Richie off the boil and james not as effective as wide midfielder.

There was absolutely no width in last nights game, and that is expected with a 4-2-3-1 style to an extent and especially when playing a ridiculous no of central players and some out a bit wider. Hughes tried 4-4-2 and it failed but I really think we need to work with a 4-4-1-1 style with a sensible midfield of 2 central midfielders one holding one attacking. 2 wide players willing to push on and run along the wing all game. An advanced attacking midfielder to play in the hole to support billy (or Evans as the season draws to a close) and link play between midfield and further forward something like this -:

Esson

Raven. Warren. Meekings. Shinnie

Doran. Draper. Foran. Williams

Vincent

McKay

The choices are just an example of who may start but foran needs a rest. Last night he was position ally poor and his touch was woeful. Williams played pre season against raith as a sub and played left Wing and I was v impressed and hope to see him there again soon.

Need to regroup and try to get the stability back - no stupid errors, no needless passing to them instead of our own player with an easier pass and we need to create chances and have more than one tired option up front to score!!

And breath......

Draper, Tansey

Watkins, Vincent, Doran

For me thats our strongest midfield, unfortunately we are trying too hard to include Foran when the reality is he isnt really needed just now, player power perhaps?Dont get me wrong Foran is a terrific player for us but as effective a leader as he is he is not at his best in terms of playing. Draper and Tansey provide a good balance of strength and creativity through the middle. Watkins and Doran are our 2 best wingers and Vincent was at his best at the start of the season when he was playing just off Billy, he provided a good go between from midfield to attack, aint got the pace or positional sense for the wing and dosent have the strength for the holding role.

These comments of winning ugly are a tad concerning. We have the players to play good football, the idea of winning ugly strikes me as a bit lazy.

• Agree 3

Draper, Tansey

Watkins, Vincent, Doran

For me thats our strongest midfield, unfortunately we are trying too hard to include Foran when the reality is he isnt really needed just now, player power perhaps?Dont get me wrong Foran is a terrific player for us but as effective a leader as he is he is not at his best in terms of playing. Draper and Tansey provide a good balance of strength and creativity through the middle. Watkins and Doran are our 2 best wingers and Vincent was at his best at the start of the season when he was playing just off Billy, he provided a good go between from midfield to attack, aint got the pace or positional sense for the wing and dosent have the strength for the holding role.

These comments of winning ugly are a tad concerning. We have the players to play good football, the idea of winning ugly strikes me as a bit lazy.

I would possibly give Warren the captains armband next season, I know shinnie is vice captain but I think Gary Warren has the potential to be more of a leader than shinnie is

Draper, Tansey

Watkins, Vincent, Doran

Good post from AJS, I fully agree and whilst Foran's contribution and influence will never be doubted, a role from the sidelines may be of more benefit to the team in the short run and the long run. I've been very impressed with young Christie and he's one I'd like to see put pressure on Vincent for the position in behind Billy. 

My worry is that Yogi doesn't seem to be too keen on playing two wingers at the same time. I think the strategy is for the full backs to provide the width which means the wingers are tucking inside too much for my liking. Doran in particular has taken to this very much in the last couple of years. I'd love to see us getting back to two out and out wingers providing width and crosses.

If we are going to forgo one winger, I'd probably say the left winger. Shinnie is good going forward and has a good cross on him and is willing to shoot. Doran or Watkins are good for the right, and I'd say whereas Raven links up well he's not as natural a wing back as Shinnie.

Vincent has to play in the middle, preferably behind the striker, or not at all. I wouldn't be adverse to see either Ross or Christie play in the AMLC role.

A choice has to be made between Tansey and Foran. I'd prefer Foran in all honesty. I think Tansey flatters to deceive. Sure he has the occasional hollywood pass or scorcher but every time i see a game he disappears and he doesn't appear to do the ugly work either. If Foran was to just sit in front of the defence and remind Meekings to not pass it back to Brill when playing Dundee United I'd be happy with that. And I think he could marshall the game from there.
Thus allowing Draper to expand the game.

My team would be as follows -

- Brill-

-Raven- -Meekings - Warren -            

-Shinnie-

-Foran-

-Draper-        

-Doran-              -Vincent*- -Ross**-     

-Mckay-

* or Ross

** or Christie

Sure it looks a little lopsided but that's to define the way the team would look to play. Shinnie would be urged to get forward at all opportunity and Foran would sit. Draper would be an out and out central midfielder and Vincent the attacking midfield link. Ross would be used to link Shinnie down the left and the striker and AMC. Doran (or Watkins would be an othrodox winger.

IMO we should be playing Shinnie on the left wing. Having Tremarco playing at left back would mean that the left back area was always covered and Shinnie could stay further up the pitch, going what he does best - rampaging forward.

There's no such thing as a 'strongest team' per se. Players form fluctuates throughout the season. Also, you need to take the opposition into account.

That said, I agree we have too many holding central midfielders in the team, it's congested and unbalanced.

Playing Polworth and Christie makes sense as a long term investment. The more experience they accrue, the better they're going to get. 

Our attacking players haven't been doing the business recently. Vincent and Tansey shouldn't be considered undroppable. Since they both came into the team, we've barely scored any goals, let alone won games.

Foran hasn't been up to standard recently, but in fairness I think the excessive tippy tappy style currently being employed doesn't suit his game. 

Tremarco is unfortunate to be out of the team. As above, since Shinnie was put back at LB, we've conceded a lot of goals and not picked up many points. I would rest Shinnie, and on his return put him back into midfield where he did so well earlier in the season.

Edited by AlexJones

The only problem I see with that is the opposition would quickly figure it out and combat it. There's no option to switch play to the other side,

Could be said for most formations. All about the implementation of it.

However I don't see how you cant switch play, you've got Shinnie left and Doran Right. Both providing crosses with Ross and Vincent through the middle.

I would like to see Shinnie play on the left mid. Or even right if both he and Doran are coming into shoot, though I do prefer orthodox wingers to the inverted.

I would like to see Doran and Watkins on the wings, for pace and creativity, with any one of Vincent, Ross, Christie in the hole supporting Billy. I agree that there should be no 'automatics' for midfield - selection should be on form and open competition for places.  

It's Time to change football. We could feck sh*t up with a 3-5-1-1 diamond formation that i just made up.

------------------Brill------------------

----Raven-meekings-warren----

-----------------foran-----------------

Doran-Draper---tansey-shinnie

----------------Vincent---------------

----------------Mckay----------------

Would be great to have bobby Mann at the heart of the defence but feck it meekings will do.

Edited by lukemackay

Dream on Luke - thinking a back three of Raven/Meekings/Warren is feasible is farcical in the extreme. Who would cover wide right defensively? Dorans? No.

And no Polworth or Christie but you select Vincent? Have you watched any of the previous 8 games?