Inverness CT -V- Motherwell

Scotty

The real problem is what to do for Friday? The one pitch where narrow is the way to go and he'll not know which way to turn. Wouldn't surprise me if he now goes with wingers on Friday, which won't be the thing to do there! Aaaaagh! So annoyed!

No -it'll be same old sh*te - roll the f****ing sleeves up and lose the f***ing football match.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Can't the Board see what's happening???

The real problem is what to do for Friday? The one pitch where narrow is the way to go and he'll not know which way to turn. Wouldn't surprise me if he now goes with wingers on Friday, which won't be the thing to do there! Aaaaagh! So annoyed!

No -it'll be same old sh*te - roll the f****ing sleeves up and lose the f***ing football match.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Can't the Board see what's happening???

I am sure the board can see whats happening but what do you expect them to do at this stage ?

Really frustrated! Yet again team selection sets us up far too narrow and we are crying out for width. Eventually Yogi makes some changes and we get some width, ultimately resulting in a cracking goal from Christie.

I felt we actually matched Motherwell pretty well & their 2nd was a real sucker punch. We certainly seem to get punished badly for almost all small gaps left at the back.

Tansey seemed unhappy at being pushed to RB when Raven came off.

When will Yogi get it - we need wingers playing on the wing, stretching the play, getting in behind defences. That's what we are good at and, when he does do it, we improve!

If you listened to the BBC radio interview as I did on the way to the match Yogi said something like 'Terry Butcher liked the team to play with wingers but I like to play the ball through the middle'. He went on to talk about kids kicking a ball against a wall and not kicking it 30 yards! Think he was trying to say that he likes a close passing game.

We did play a close passing game tonight but most of our passes went back not forward. Very very poor stuff to watch and not at all fan friendly. Crowd at 2000 something tonight obviously agree.

Poor stuff, the only bright spark was Christie and Watkins.

Change the system now or we won't win another game this season. It was clearly evident tonight that we only started to make telling passes to players moving into spaces when Christie and Watkins came on. Draper also found more room when we started using the wings.

Shoddy defending also caused us to lose the game. Motherwell only seemed to have the two breakaway chances the whole game and scored from both.

I'm regretting buying a ticket for Friday now. After that though I won't be attending another game this season and unless I see a change of style or manager I won't be renewing my season ticket for 2014/15.

Every time Raven got the ball in a wide forward position he turned inside or backwards and passed it poorly giving away possession. If we are playing to a plan then it's not working. We have become predictable, boring, negative and easy to beat.

When Christie came on our passing became crisper, things started to happen, even Vincent looked more alert than he has been for a month. Tansey was unlucky with a great curling effort that smacked the post with the keeper beaten. Overall we could have got a point, reality was that we lost again.

Ryan did not have much to do, but was left exposed for the two goals, same old story.

Disgruntled.

The pre-match interview with JH was all about passing the ball. Aye great but watching the ball ping sideways, backwards, forwards, sideways, backwards sideways, forwards, sideways, all gets a bit predictable and boring when there's absolutely no end product!! Motherwell taught us a lesson in how to play direct football tonight. Their tactic was let Inverness have the ball and we'll just nick it off them go up the park and score - easy!

JH's post-match interview was all about having to educate the players and give them confidence .....??? eh ! Sorry John but I think the players need to educate you on how at the start of this season they were a joy to watch and the style of football they played was tearing other teams a new one. You said when you first came to the club that you needed to change nothing..........! What's happened? You've turned us into a shambles !

Not happy !!

:swear:

• Agree 4

Interview with the manager on Sportsound there. Jim Spence asked the question we've probably all wanted to hear asked: 'Are you trying to change too much too soon?' Hughes basically put his cards on the table: 'Terry liked to play with wingers; I like to play it through the middle.' He also said that the players would have to be patient in adapting to the system.

Fair play for the clarity. But given that the bulk of the existing squad are signed up for the new season, and we're probably limited in how many more we can bring in, it does raise questions for the future. Will he be prepared to change his system if (as looks the case so far) the current players can't get consistent result playing it? Or will he decide he needs to overhaul the squad and, if next season starts badly, will he be given the opportunity to do so?

Can't say I like the look of tonight's line-up, with Christie, potentially our most creative central midfielder, dropped to the bench, but maybe tonight will be the night it clicks...  

What happened to 'if it aint broke,dont fix it' quote from Hughes?

That team was shyte tonight, absolute shyte, only bright moment was Christies superb goal.

and so it goes on............

pass, pass, pass, pass, sideways, backwards, forward, backwards, sideways etc.etc.etc

when the ball was played to tremarco at left back all that was in front of him was a motherwell player and green grass, not a blue shirt in sight, so turn inside and start the passing again.

one ball over the top, two central defenders could not deal with and 1-0 to motherwell which was pretty much all the did in the first half.

we have been morphed into hibs under fenlon and Kilmarnock under shields.

motherwell played tonight like we used to, soak it up and pounce on the break.

tansy on the right wing ?? then right back.

please note that pirroutette thing  or 360 as my grandson calls it, that you do, stop doing it, every man and his dog knows you are going to do it. practice your ball skills and try to control it first time.

second half we were better when Christie and Watkins came on and although a wonderful hit for the goal by Christie we were lucky to get away with warren pushing the motherwell player in the back using both hands to get the ball and start the build up.

as we pushed for the winner another break away by them and game over at 2-1. it was reminiscent of the Griffiths/stokes one two's in the recent 5-0 thrashing at parkhead except vigurs didn't blast over the bar.

message to boo boo -- to play the narrow, passing game you are playing you need players who can do what you ask them. we have a team of honest laddies who butcher had playing to a system that suited everyone.

silk purse and sow's ear come to mind

Just in from the game and to be perfectly honest it was not good enough. Motherwell were not even that good tonight but again it's the same story where we leave too much space in the park and we conceded a goal. I really can't get my head around why Yogi said yesterday that the game was a 100% must win game but then chose to play 5 defenders with 5 attacking midfielders on the bench? Talk about playing for a draw! 

With this tactic I am finding the most frustrating thing is that we find some good space on the wings but yet we pass it back to the back four and keeper - fecks that all about? Carl Tremarco and credit to him I could see him buggering the system and got in some decent crosses from the left and if I was the manager of ICT he would be playing at left back regularly and with Graeme Shinnie pushing up in to the left wing. Gareth Bale started off as a left back and got played as a left winger and look at him now being bought for £100m playing for Real Madrid. Graeme Shinnie has a fantastic left peg on him and could reach a high level as an attacking winger. I found at times that him and Tremarco linked up so well on the wing but again it was the same crap by playing it too narrow and not getting the best out of the players we have.

I didn't understand why Ryan Esson was in goals tonight but fair play to him I don't think he really had that bad of a game. It was the back four leaving too much space for Motherwell to utilise and pretty much did half the work for Motherwell. Their second goal, they couldn't have had an easier goal if they tried.

Why did Yogi take off David Raven? In all honesty I didn't think he should have been taken off because he had a reasonable game and it left us without a right back and we played Greg Tansey at RB? 

The only positivity I can take from tonight was Ryan Christie's goal really deserving of it and what a strike it was! He adds so much energy and attacking play to our team, He MUST start on Friday. 

Just looking at the stats, we've conceded 18 goals in the last 9 games and we have only won 1 game in the last 9 - Not good enough. 

• Agree 1

oops forgot to mention hughes masterstroke this evening.

he sent on the groundsman with a hose and for the whole of the half time break he watered the end of the pictch we were defending second half. 

pity he didn't do it on Saturday and maybe billy would have scored when one on one with the keeper instead of nearly hitting the corner flag blaming the ball taking a bobble when he went to hit it.

Narrow, ponderous, pedestrian, predictable, Mckay hardly got a touch (all from BBC). 7 chances over 90 min is not entertainment. More chances in last 20 than previous 70 coincided with Christie's arrival (delighted for him, but he should have started).

You may be annoyed but surely you're not surprised. The team is doing what every team John Hughes has managed has done throughout his managerial career and with the same result. Next will come the factionalisation of the once united dressing room with some favourites and some outsiders which too has been a feature of every club he's managed.

However, the manager is going nowhere this season or next so we need to get behind the team even if we do slide to sixth place this season and even more so next season which could well be a relegation battle. Treading water next season in the lower reaches of the division will be disappointing but not a disaster as long as we're not relegated.

With the fans behind the team, the players are talented enough to get at least tenth next year even being as badly managed as they clearly are. It's easy to support a team who are entertaining and successful but now and probably next season is the time to get right behind the players. It is not their fault for failing if they are simply trying to do what they are being instructed to.

Interview with the manager on Sportsound there. Jim Spence asked the question we've probably all wanted to hear asked: 'Are you trying to change too much too soon?' Hughes basically put his cards on the table: 'Terry liked to play with wingers; I like to play it through the middle.'

Quote from Hughes on the day he took over the team that was flying high in 2nd place and well clear of 3rd : "I'm not going to change too much"

We all assumed he meant he wasn't going to change ICT too much, but now it seems he meant it in the sense that he wasn't going to change his own approach too much!

I have to say that's what I don't understand. How do you go from changing nothing to, well this? Quite a jump.

Team still need to fight. We are in a battle with St Johnstone for fifth place and the extra £80,000 or so of place money which goes with it.

A handy sum for a club of our size especially with our already modest crowds diminishing and likely to fall further.

The really worrying thing about tonight's game for me was that I thought the players gave their all and actually played pretty well within the tactics that were deployed.How bad will it get when performance levels drop off?  Shinnie, Draper, Tansey and Vincent all worked hard in midfield but time and time again it all came to nothing because there was no width. 

But it's worse than just there being no width - I got the impression that players have been told to play the ball to feet. On the odd occasion that Raven or Tremarco were wide in space the ball was played to feet and so by the time the ball reached them their way forward was blocked and so it was sideways or back again.  A few months ago the same players would have had the ball played into space for them to run onto. It was the same with the forward ball - lack of width meant there were few gaps to exploit and therefore sideways it went again.

Motherwell had players out tonight and were there for the taking.  With the effort our lads put in we would have taken them to the cleaners if the tactics had been better.  Unless things change soon it is going to be a disappointing 6th for us at the end of the season.  Very proud of the effort of the players tonight but hugely disappointed at the way they were told to play.

• Agree 5

oops forgot to mention hughes masterstroke this evening.

he sent on the groundsman with a hose and for the whole of the half time break he watered the end of the pictch we were defending second half. 

pity he didn't do it on Saturday and maybe billy would have scored when one on one with the keeper instead of nearly hitting the corner flag blaming the ball taking a bobble when he went to hit it.

Groundsman did his very best in 10mins he had and him running back and fore trying to connect stand pipes and turn the taps off and on all on his own was funny if not shambolic. As for the young reserves sent to help him - a few extra boot room duties required for those lads to learn about teamwork.