Rank ICT Managers

Kingsmills

How would you rank the permanent managers we've had over the past two decades in terms of achievement bearing in mind where the club was at the time they came in and the players an other resources at their disposal and putting aside any disappointment at the manner or timing of their leaving ?

Personally, my order would be;

1. Steve Paterson

2. Terry Butcher

3.John Robertson

4.  Craig Brewster (first time round)

5.  Charlie Christie

6.  Sergei Baltacha

7.  John Hughes

8.  Craig Brewster (second coming)

1. Butcher - he took us to top six and left us with a team lying second in the league. He also did wonders for our profile!

2. Paterson - it was just so much fun.  Every home game was an absolute joy, even if we didn't win

3. Christie - hugely underrated for me. Tactically astute and kept us punching above our weight.

4. Robertson - took us up, but I don't know how well we would have done in the SPL if he had remained

5. Brewster (first time round) - how much of his success was down to Brewster the player?

6. Brewster (second time round) - after an initial bounce, his relationship with the players collapsed and the writing was on the wall months before his departure

7. Baltacha - I was only about 10, but I still remember that we were rubbish, and boring, under his charge

8. Hughes - has accomplished the remarkable feat of making decent players look useless. May yet become our shortest serving manager ever

• Agree 1

No way you can rank Christie above Robbo, it was Robertson who raised us a level or two fitness wise and brought in the likes of Bingham who we would never have gone for before.  Christie inherited by far our best squad we've ever had with Cowie, Rankin, Black, Hastings, Tokely, Munro and Bayne in their prime aswell as having veterans like Wilson to call upon (Dodds aswell?).  The time we were at our best sadly coincided with a lot of other teams being at their strongest in Hibs, Hearts, Celtic and Rangers, in this current league he wouldve had us up in 2nd or 3rd no problem at all.

I'd rank the two managers who got us out of the 1st division ahead of the rest.  Pele next for the players he signed and making us an absolute pleasure to follow.

From a psychological perspective it is interesting to note the power of the narcissist and the derision and scorn placed on his successor. It would also appear that the psyche places the most "successful" in regard to the SPL. Personally it would be close run thing between Pele and Robbo fer me as those were the days when we were at our most entertaining and our most resolute.

• Agree 1

On statistics Brewster 2nd time should be above Hughes. Stats Win% Brewster 34.38. Hughes 30.43.

For me the question is a really difficult one to answer. Robbo has the glory of taking us to SPL with Pele's team but at the start of that first season, and before he left, we had won 4 drawn 2 and lost 8. Nobody knows how Pele would have faired in SPL other than his disaster at Aberdeen. Looking only at SPL level I'd have Charlie Christie up at the top. I think if Charlie didn't have to find a way of fitting Niculae (who was forced on him) into his starting 11 at the start of 07/08 season, and the pressure that put on his shoulders, he'd have been around a lot longer and built a very good squad in the process.

Butcher has to get credit for puting together the current squad and for the style and success of the start of this season but there was cries for his head in his first SPL seasons with us. Yes we won Div 1 at first attempt but only by keeping a squad of SPL players together and at a cost to the club.

1. Pele: built the squad.  He was our Bill Shankly.  Didn't achieve as much at the top (obviously) but we were still playing 'his team' for years in the SPL.

2. Butcher: a serious challenge for European football via the League? Not something I thought ICT could do.

3. Christie: Remember when the top six was just a pipe dream?  Charlie got us believing.

4. Robbo: more the mystery-man.  Got us to the SPL but would he have got us higher?  Impossible to know.

5. Brewster (1st): Good eye for a player.  Strong team and played that way.

I can't decided between Hughes, Baltacha and Brewster (2nd).  All of them have been much poorer than the team deserved.

1) Pele

2) Butcher

3) Robbo

4) Brewster 1

5) Baltacha

6) Brewster 2

7) Hughes so far

8) Christie

Why Christie bottom?  Got us to 7th in the table, with a points total above 4th, then 8th in his second.  That's got to be better than Baltacha and Brewster 2 at least.

• Agree 1

1) Pele

2) Butcher

3) Robbo

4) Brewster 1

5) Baltacha

6) Brewster 2

7) Hughes so far

8) Christie

Why Christie bottom?  Got us to 7th in the table, with a points total above 4th, then 8th in his second.  That's got to be better than Baltacha and Brewster 2 at least.

My thoughts as well. Does the poster remember the season and a half of good football and good results that Charlie had or does he only remember the four defeats start of following season.

• Agree 1

Alex Macleod should hang his head in shame - but having witnessed his previous vitriolic posts it is not a surprise. Christie was certainly not my favourite manager but achieved a very credible 7th place in the SPL and a very substantial profit for the club if I remember correctly?

Alex Macleod should hang his head in shame - but having witnessed his previous vitriolic posts it is not a surprise. Christie was certainly not my favourite manager but achieved a very credible 7th place in the SPL and a very substantial profit for the club if I remember correctly?

If you take a moment to read Alex's post he is defending CC and questioning another poster's lowly ranking.

Clacher Holiday 2 - laughable you're comments and displays you're lack of genuine knowledge about the club - as summed up by so many of your previous posts! Christie actually signed Rankin and Cowie at no cost whatsoever to the club but you possibly were supporting Clach at the time???

I was a big fan of the way Charlie had the team playing. A match against Falkirk springs to mind but I can't remember the score.

I think that as in January 2006. We won 4 - 1. Great day!

Clacher Holiday 2 - laughable you're comments and displays you're lack of genuine knowledge about the club - as summed up by so many of your previous posts! Christie actually signed Rankin and Cowie at no cost whatsoever to the club but you possibly were supporting Clach at the time???

:laugh:

Rankin was/is our record signing!

Clacher Holiday 2 - laughable you're comments and displays you're lack of genuine knowledge about the club - as summed up by so many of your previous posts!

Oh dear, sounds to me like someone's got a terrible case of small man syndrome!

Accusing someone of not having any genuine knowledge about the club, yet spell both Mckay's and Doran's name incorrectly in the other thread!  :laugh:

It's also your, not you're.  Got the last one right though.  Well done you!  :smile:

Edited by Renegade

Sorry friend but do you read before you spout.

1) Pele

2) Butcher

3) Robbo

4) Brewster 1

5) Baltacha

6) Brewster 2

7) Hughes so far

8) Christie

My thoughts as well. Does the poster remember the season and a half of good football and good results that Charlie had or does he only remember the four defeats start of following season.

AlexJones puts Christie at the bottom. starchief asks why. I reiterate his question with "My thoughts as well". In other words my thought was why Charlie at bottom. I then, if you read the next part, actually praise Charlie's tenure by questioning AlexJones. Are you the only one that can't see that.

As for vitriolic posting can you please direct me to one of those?

Finally,

On statistics Brewster 2nd time should be above Hughes. Stats Win% Brewster 34.38. Hughes 30.43.

For me the question is a really difficult one to answer. Robbo has the glory of taking us to SPL with Pele's team but at the start of that first season, and before he left, we had won 4 drawn 2 and lost 8. Nobody knows how Pele would have faired in SPL other than his disaster at Aberdeen. Looking only at SPL level I'd have Charlie Christie up at the top. I think if Charlie didn't have to find a way of fitting Niculae (who was forced on him) into his starting 11 at the start of 07/08 season, and the pressure that put on his shoulders, he'd have been around a lot longer and built a very good squad in the process.

Butcher has to get credit for puting together the current squad and for the style and success of the start of this season but there was cries for his head in his first SPL seasons with us. Yes we won Div 1 at first attempt but only by keeping a squad of SPL players together and at a cost to the club.

Finally may I direct you to my first post on this subject. Especially the highlighted text. If that is some vitriolic statement against Charlie then I pity your understanding of the language I type.

We paid a fee for Rankin. Reputed at the time to be somewhere between £40,000 and £60,000