Last nights singing

Frizzle

But I would take the responsibility becos I am one of the most law abiding, politically correct, mature and righteous individual in our support.

Me too :)).... There was plenty Police and Stewards beside them why can they not step in .

They need to be named and shamed and they may think twice next time .someone knows who they are.

They are a disgrace to the club.

Exactly. Not sure why officialdom didn't step in. Much worse than the G word chants the police get so worked up about IMHO

• Agree 3

Police probably didn't step in because no one complained that they found it offensive at the time. I would have found it so, but would have taken the IHE line and robustly asked them to desist. There is a long history of this type of chant, from Man City fans mocking Munich, Man Utd fans mocking Hillsborough to songs about Tommy Burn's cancer and Norrie MacAthie of Dunfermline's death. They are calculated to provoke and prompt a reaction from opposing fans, and there's nothing personal with regards to Mr Brittain's wife in this. Depression is a serious illness, but these laddies don't see that. It ain't funny, it didn't provoke a reaction and your fellow fans abhor it. So just stop it.

• Agree 1

Im sorry Davie but I cannot accept that as a reason for Police not stepping in .It was so offensive

I don't believe they needed anyone to spell it out to them. Im not sure that Richard Brittain or his wife

would agree with you that it's not personal .Please do not try to make excuses for these yobs

You are comparing us to Man Untd and Man City please keep in mind it was Highland Derby

.quote name="davie" post="405409" timestamp="1396725345"]Police probably didn't step in because no one complained that they found it offensive at the time. I would have found it so, but would have taken the IHE line and robustly asked them to desist. There is a long history of this type of chant, from Man City fans mocking Munich, Man Utd fans mocking Hillsborough to songs about Tommy Burn's cancer and Norrie MacAthie of Dunfermline's death. They are calculated to provoke and prompt a reaction from opposing fans, and there's nothing personal with regards to Mr Brittain's wife in this. Depression is a serious illness, but these laddies don't see that. It ain't funny, it didn't provoke a reaction and your fellow fans abhor it. So just stop it.

i would like to point out that Brittain actually gave them a thumbs up, so he could hear it so if he was bothered then he would tell the police. Just to be clear i am not defending them 

He actually gave back a sarcastic clap back to them to say "Aye, good one" etc.

Im sorry Davie but I cannot accept that as a reason for Police not stepping in .It was so offensive

I don't believe they needed anyone to spell it out to them. Im not sure that Richard Brittain or his wife

would agree with you that it's not personal .Please do not try to make excuses for these yobs

You are comparing us to Man Untd and Man City please keep in mind it was Highland Derby

What did the police/stewards say to you when you reported that you were offended by it?

• Agree 1

These little scrotums should be named shamed and hit with football banning orders

Let's face it this is not an isolated incident, we've had the famine song the big jock songs and banners along with all the flares being set off

We all need to eradicate this disease that's spreading within our ranks

The immortal jungle ender is right we should all shout down these morons or failing that report them to the authorities

Dougal

• Agree 1

These little scrotums should be named shamed and hit with football banning orders

Let's face it this is not an isolated incident, we've had the famine song the big jock songs and banners along with all the flares being set off

We all need to eradicate this disease that's spreading within our ranks

The immortal jungle ender is right we should all shout down these morons or failing that report them to the authorities

Dougal

Flares - were you still wearing them in 1994?

• Agree 2

i would like to point out that Brittain actually gave them a thumbs up, so he could hear it so if he was bothered then he would tell the police. Just to be clear i am not defending them 

Still he heard them so if he was bothered by it then he could have easily complained and got it stopped 

• Agree 1

.quote name="davie" post="405409" timestamp="1396725345"]Police probably didn't step in because no one complained that they found it offensive at the time. I would have found it so, but would have taken the IHE line and robustly asked them to desist. There is a long history of this type of chant, from Man City fans mocking Munich, Man Utd fans mocking Hillsborough to songs about Tommy Burn's cancer and Norrie MacAthie of Dunfermline's death. They are calculated to provoke and prompt a reaction from opposing fans, and there's nothing personal with regards to Mr Brittain's wife in this. Depression is a serious illness, but these laddies don't see that. It ain't funny, it didn't provoke a reaction and your fellow fans abhor it. So just stop it.

Izzy, I'm sorry if you accidentally misread what I was saying,but a couple of points. I have made it clear that I would have found this offensive and acted (as I have previously done). You must also realise that the police will only act if there has been a complaint in this respect. It seems there was none. The teams that you think we bear no comparison to are football teams who have fans as well, of all types who can be offensive as well.. I have a long background as a professional in mental health, and find your (erroneous) implication that I would minimise the effects by "making excuses" a bit - to quote you - offensive.

Still he heard them so if he was bothered by it then he could have easily complained and got it stopped

I wouldn't make any more comments on this if I were you. You are starting to appear quite foolish.

I don't think its right, keep the insults for Ross county, if she was coloured and a comment was made on the colour of her skin the game may have been stopped. People would have ended up in court and the club possibly fined. Which reminds me did any one get a court appearance for throwing what looked like a cricket ball or a base ball at one of our players in the cup final

Izzy, I'm sorry if you accidentally misread what I was saying,but a couple of points. I have made it clear that I would have found this offensive and acted (as I have previously done). You must also realise that the police will only act if there has been a complaint in this respect. It seems there was none. The teams that you think we bear no comparison to are football teams who have fans as well, of all types who can be offensive as well.. I have a long background as a professional in mental health, and find your (erroneous) implication that I would minimise the effects by "making excuses" a bit - to quote you - offensive.

• Agree 1

I did not mean to offend anyone Davie and I apologise if you have been offended .I take your point about the Police and had I been closer I would have said something .I can't imagine how offended Richard Brittains wife feels and its her I was speaking up for . I too have worked in Mental Health Davie and this is why I feel so passionate about it.

Reading OTB there are fans on there stating how there are a few of our fans going to get our club into trouble with that particular song.

I hope I have explained myself and my apology is accepted, but my views on the original post does not change.

• Agree 1

Maybe Caleyjagsforever could add this topic at their next meeting it's all very well admitting the chants were offensive but without action the problem won't go away

A closer working relationship with the club and the authorities should help weed out the troublemakers

I blame movies like football factory and green street, school children are easily lead and they think that kind of behaviour is sadly acceptable

Dougal

• Agree 1

Maybe Caleyjagsforever could add this topic at their next meeting it's all very well admitting the chants were offensive but without action the problem won't go away

A closer working relationship with the club and the authorities should help weed out the troublemakers

I blame movies like football factory and green street, school children are easily lead and they think that kind of behaviour is sadly acceptable

Dougal

Well said Dougal ...then maybe this thread wouldn't have been in vain.

• Agree 2

Strikes me that far too many people seem content to sit quietly at the time of these problems...offended, but not so much that they wish to take action themselves...and then come on to the internet and moan and complain that others aren't doing anything.

• Agree 6

Strikes me that far too many people seem content to sit quietly at the time of these problems...offended, but not so much that they wish to take action themselves...and then come on to the internet and moan and complain that others aren't doing anything.

So rather than posting on this thread to condemn the sick shameful chants and those who were responsible you have twice now posted to be critical of those who were offended but may have been too far from or felt too intimidated by those mindless yobs to intervene personally. 

Those brave enough to intervene should be applauded. Those who might have felt themselves to frightened to confront those intimidating individuals have every right to comment on this forum without it being suggested that they were cowards or hypocrites for not acting at the time.

• Agree 8

It is disappointing that this is being discussed again as the same ignorant chant was made at the game in Dingwall earlier in the year and was condemend on this forum then. 

It is disappointing because one might have hoped that those responsible would have reflected on it after the last match and realised that whilst they might have thought it funny / clever first time round, it really was well over the line. 

Secondly, it is disappopinting that nobody in the club appears to have taken any action after the last match.  This could either have been to have a word with a few of the folk in the singing section to get them to acknowledge that the chant was not appropriate and to pass on the word to others that it is not on, and/or the club could have had a word to the stewards / police to ask them to intervene in the event that this chant was sung.

Thirdly, it is disappointing that the police or stewards did not intervene on their own initiative.  Surely they aren't so dumb that they don't know that the chant was offensive.  Whilst the fans pay good money to watch a game of football, the stewards and the police are being paid to do a job of work and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to do their job.

Yes it would be good if more folk had the guts to get out of their seats and have a word with those doing the singing but please let's not condemn those that don't.  I personally have seen some guy (quite a big guy at that) being subject to a tirade of aggressive abuse from 3 or 4 young adults in their 20s or 30s when he tried to intervene on some other offensive chant.  It is little wonder that others stay in the seats and expect the stewards and police to do what they are being paid to do.

I should, of course, add, that it would also be nice to see these people do their job amongst the home support at Ibrox and Celtic Park. 

• Agree 4

Don't believe I suggested for a moment that anyone intervene by means of direct confrontation....and would actually advise against such action.

However, there should be no feeling of threat or intimidation in approaching the police or a steward in order to make a complaint.

So no cowards...but hypocrites aplenty.

I think a hypocrite in this situation would be someone who was singing the chant and then came on here to condemn it.

I don't think it is fair to call someone a hypocrite who decides not  to take their attention away from the game and squeeze themselves between all the other fans in the their row,then to find a steward / police officer to make their complaint to before going back to their seat (and missing an Aaron Doran wonder strike in the process).  We spend enough energy telling the referee how to do his job without telling the stewards and police as well.

• Agree 4

I dream of a day when people put as much energy into actively changing things as they do to sitting around shouting for others to be doing it.

When that day comes, ICTFC will achieve more than any of us could imagine.

• Agree 2