Europa Qualification Permutations

Bush

I know this has been mentioned on another thread (can't find it just now), but is there proper clarity on the most likely permutations that would see us qualifying for European football?

As I understand it (& this could certainly be wrong!) the most reasonable possibilities are:-

* We finish 4th in the league (behind Aberdeen & Motherwell) & Aberdeen play The Rangers in SC Final

* We finish 4th in the league (behind Aberdeen & Motherwell) & Aberdeen beat Dundee Utd in SC Final

Is that correct, and are there any others that could see us qualify?

I know this has been mentioned on another thread (can't find it just now), but is there proper clarity on the most likely permutations that would see us qualifying for European football?

As I understand it (& this could certainly be wrong!) the most reasonable possibilities are:-

* We finish 4th in the league (behind Aberdeen & Motherwell) & Aberdeen play The Rangers in SC Final

* We finish 4th in the league (behind Aberdeen & Motherwell) & Aberdeen beat Dundee Utd in SC Final

Yes......finish 3rd or 2nd

• Agree 1

If we finish 4th and Aberdeen or Rangers win the cup then we are in Europe. That's how I understand it after it was pointed out to me that only the runners up get the European place if the cup winners are qualified for the Champions league.  

As Alex says, 2nd or 3rd would do it, but that's almost certainly beyond us now. But your scenarios for 4th place are spot on. I can't think of any other possible circumstances barring some unlikely UEFA Fair Play allocation.

Just checked the Fair Play situation and Scotland are 9th with only the top 3 associations getting a club in, so that's gone!

Previous season I've looked at the early rounds of the Europa League, seen some of the team names and thought "how the hell do you pronounce that?!..."

I love the thought of someone in Finland, Lithuania, Cyprus or wherever looking at "Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC" in the fixtures and thinking "f**k that!"

• Agree 5

As Alex says, 2nd or 3rd would do it, but that's almost certainly beyond us now. But your scenarios for 4th place are spot on. I can't think of any other possible circumstances barring some unlikely UEFA Fair Play allocation.

Just checked the Fair Play situation and Scotland are 9th with only the top 3 associations getting a club in, so that's gone!

Wouldn't write us of just yet. We need to play all the teams and can take points of any of them. All those above us will drop points to Celtic and to each other so I think things will be a lot closer than they look at the moment.

Here's my theory: Celtic take15 pts. We take 12 pts out of fifteen. The rest can then only take nine. Lets say Aberdeen take the 9 that would mean only 6 available for DU and Motherwell and St Johnstone. St Johnston take 3 from DU and Motherwell takes 3 from St Johnstone but lose to DU.

Final Standings

Celtic...............103pts

Aberdeen..........72pts

Inverness..........64pts

Motherwell........63pts

Dundee U.........57pts

St Johnstone....51pts

Simples really........................................now how to get that 12 pts.

Edited by Alex MacLeod
  • Agree 2

Jim Goodwins elbows probably put us down a few places on their own

• Agree 1

I may be wrong, but it has been mentioned to me that (whilst unlikely) UEFA do not have to honour a Europa place for the team finishing fourth.

Not sure where your getting that. Cup runners up only qualify if the winners have qualified for the champions league. Aberdeen will be in Europe already and rangers are barred from playing in Europe so a final between them moves the cup place to 4th. As does an Aberdeen win over Dundee United. If we do over take Dundee United to 4th then only a Dundee United or St Johnstone cup win would see them take the European place instead of 4th place.

Scotland has 3 Europa league places to be taken up.

What would scupper it would be St Johnstone win at the weekend as I very much doubt we will catch 3rd place. Relying on an Aberdeen win really

To be honest, I've not checked into it myself, so it may well be inaccurate.

The way it was explained to me was something about moving a qualifying position from the cup to the league being a discretionary process that would need signed off by UEFA as opposed to it being a process set in stone.

Let's waken up and smell the coffee - we can't afford to qualify for Europe - so let's just concentrate on finishing as high as we can. I don't know how much each place in top six is worth but the money can be spent on better things!

It needs to be a Aberdeen v Rangers final and us to finish 4th for us to get Europe.

It doesn't necessarily 'need' to be Aberdeen vs Rangers but it gives us more of an advantage if we finish 4th. Aslong as Aberdeen win the cup and we finish 4th it will be plain sailing because I can sense a lot of debate if a Rangers win and we get the European place.

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

Why all this negativity, 3rd is still possible, if we beat Aberdeen and Celtic beat Motherwell next week, we are only 5 behind Motherwell with 4 games left.

Until its mathematically impossible: BELIEVE :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.