Richie Foran great restraint shown

HumbersideDude

Interesting take on the article. In my view the judge didn't see it that way. Is this the same incident that saw Richie 'hiding under a car'?

Anyway, I've just read the article and am certain the wording includes that Mr Foran "admitted that he behaved in a threatening and abusive manner in Inglis Street".

We'll all have different takes on it, but court matters should be off limits for discussion. It's totally unwise to discuss court matters on football forums! It's non-football related and potentially libellous. Starting a thread relating to potential criminal behaviour by one of our players is out of order, in my view.

We'll all have different takes on it, but court matters should be off limits for discussion. It's totally unwise to discuss court matters on football forums! It's non-football related and potentially libellous. Starting a thread relating to potential criminal behaviour by one of our players is out of order, in my view.

We have a long established process of dealing with legal matters involving our players on here dating back and evolving over the last 20 years! Richie is not the first, nor will he be the last to get into a bit of bother and it is ridiculous to think that we would treat these things as if they never happened .... When it is still before the courts, discussion of any charges or (alleged) offences is pretty much off limits. However, once a verdict has been rendered then (within reason) it is open for discussion on here. Do you think the Courier or Highland News will not report this or allow comments on their sites? (comments closed on Courier site right now but not HN)

I think you will find most users are broadly supportive, but there are some who may not be. that's the nature of opinion, especially on a forum and discussions like this on CTO are very tame in comparison to some other sites where the same topic may be discussed. If a discussion gets out of hand - and it has in the past - then despite the fact that what is posted is the posters responsibility and legal actions would be against them not the site, I personally will take action to close or remove any thread from view that I feel puts the site itself in a dodgy legal position or which oversteps the mark in terms of going too far (but not to the point of lawbreaking) in the eyes of our mods..  

I see nothing in this thread that is libellous. Given that yours was the 3rd post in the thread and the original post certainly wasnt libellous, I can only assume you meant DalneighCaley's response? The police car information was in the public domain prior to the case ever coming to court and the crown seem to have accepted a not guilty plea on this, and if you do about 30 seconds of googling you will easily be able to find out that Richie has been in court before so saying he has a criminal record is not inaccurate! The USA (and Canada for that matter) do regularly deny entry to people with certain convictions so that is also true (look up moral turpitude for a list of things that tend to disbar you from entry). 

The last couple of threads I have opened have been subject to "back seat moderating" like this. I would remind users that If you find something offensive or "out of order" then please follow the site procedure of reporting the specific post to the moderators who will discuss it and make a decision. We dont need, want, or accept back seat moderating.

Interesting take on the article. In my view the judge didn't see it that way. Is this the same incident that saw Richie 'hiding under a car'?

Anyway, I've just read the article and am certain the wording includes that Mr Foran "admitted that he behaved in a threatening and abusive manner in Inglis Street".

What a load of tripe you talk - foran represents your club and is in the public eye !! What a nice example he sets for kids .

What a load of tripe you talk - foran represents your club and is in the public eye !! What a nice example he sets for kids .

According to the JP: "I am of the view that you were intimidated and hit back." whilst according to defence (and not disputed by the sound of it): "He was punched twice in the face and he reacted to that. CCTV pictures clearly show his head recoiling back from one blow."

Reading the whole story as reported (on more than one website) it sounds like there was a bit of hassle, with some neds winding Foran and Doran up after a night out because they were Irish and/or ICT players. Foran tried to walk away initially but these guys persisted and - as apparently shown on CCTV - struck the first few blows. We all know Richie is no shrinking violet so he appears to have done what many of us would do, especially after a few beers, and hit back (defended himself). the only stupid part seems to be the hiding under the car and that seems to have been dealt with by way of a plea agreement ... plead guilty to the fight and the crown will accept not guilty to the rest. 

As for him setting a bad example?    I have no problem with him turning the other cheek and trying to walk away from trouble, and by the same token, when trouble is inevitable, I have no problem with him defending himself ..... shouldn't have gone looking for that pound coin he dropped just as the cops were about to arrest him though.  :wink:

• Agree 2

Yeh looks as if some local neds of unspesified football loyalty :sad:  themselves have decided to have a go at a couple of well known lads from the Republic of Ireland. I think Ritchie has been very restreined in this incident which would never have happened had it not been for these neds hellbent on provoking and asaulting Ritchie. Its the neds who should have been arested not Ritchie.

Edited by mainstander
  • Agree 5

Yeh looks as if some local neds of unspesified football loyalty :sad:  themselves have decided to have a go at a couple of well known lads from the Republic of Ireland. I think Ritchie has been very restreined in this incident which would never have happened had it not been for these neds hellbent on provoking and asaulting Ritchie. Its the neds who should have been arested not Ritchie.

Aye okay !!

Amazed that some people think that just because you pull on a football shirt you are immune to any sort of human reactions. 

If somebody punched me twice in the face I would retaliate if nothing more to make sure they don't land a 3rd blow. 

• Agree 5

Amazed that some people think that just because you pull on a football shirt you are immune to any sort of human reactions.

If somebody punched me twice in the face I would retaliate if nothing more to make sure they don't land a 3rd blow.

I very much doubt he was punched twice in the face before defending himself , if that was the case don't you think the aggressor would have been charged and not Richie ? Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

I very much doubt he was punched twice in the face before defending himself , if that was the case don't you think the aggressor would have been charged and not Richie ?

You must have missed the bit in the report that said CCTV footage backed up what he said.

• Agree 3

I very much doubt he was punched twice in the face before defending himself , if that was the case don't you think the aggressor would have been charged and not Richie ?

You must have missed the bit in the report that said CCTV footage backed up what he said.

Just because it's reported in the press doesn't make it true , if that was the case he would have denied any charges and the PF would have thrown out the case before it reached court .

Just because it's reported in the press doesn't make it true , if that was the case he would have denied any charges and the PF would have thrown out the case before it reached court .

Thanks, was hoping you would say that.  Bookmarked for future reference :lol:

Just because it's reported in the press doesn't make it true , if that was the case he would have denied any charges and the PF would have thrown out the case before it reached court.

I agree, you cant believe everything you read in the press ... BUT this was reported in the press as a direct quote from the defence agent in court. Dont think the defence is going to lie in court for his client ... especially over a physical piece of evidence (video) that could be produced !

There was more than one charge laid and IMHO the whole thing is a compromise ... he pled guilty to one charge and the others disappeared, happens all the time !

Do you know that nobody else was charged? Or did they all scarper and Ritchie was the only one stupid enough to get caught? There are breach of the peace charges dished out every day of the week but they dont all make the papers. Its just not a story if the person is not in the public eye. Sadly it happens all too often that folks in the public eye are abused when out in public.

DALNIEGHCALEY I wonder if the others involved in this case were just happy slappers!

Do you really believe that you or anyone else would have been treated differently? I suggest you contact your MP if you are outraged by this miscarriage of justice. You seem to know a bit more than the JP did. If you have any facts which were not presented in court please tell us now. You seem to be somewhat perturbed by the fact a hefty punishment was not involved. I wasn't there when the incident occurred, were you ?

Do you know that nobody else was charged? Or did they all scarper and Ritchie was the only one stupid enough to get caught? There are breach of the peace charges dished out every day of the week but they dont all make the papers. Its just not a story if the person is not in the public eye. Sadly it happens all too often that folks in the public eye are abused when out in public.

You answered your own question there . If the Captain of the local top flight football team was assaulted and the assault was captured on CCTV. I think the perpetrator would have been arrested and charged with assault and it would be all over the local press .

DALNIEGHCALEY I wonder if the others involved in this case were just happy slappers!

Do you really believe that you or anyone else would have been treated differently? I suggest you contact your MP if you are outraged by this miscarriage of justice. You seem to know a bit more than the JP did. If you have any facts which were not presented in court please tell us now. You seem to be somewhat perturbed by the fact a hefty punishment was not involved. I wasn't there when the incident occurred, were you ?

When did I say I was outraged ?

You answered your own question there . If the Captain of the local top flight football team was assaulted and the assault was captured on CCTV. I think the perpetrator would have been arrested and charged with assault and it would be all over the local press .

It doesnt take a rocket scientist ...... reading between the lines he was assaulted - as well as being subjected to sectarian abuse for being Irish - but, not being one to back down or shy away from conflict when it happens (as opposed to starting it) it sounds like he may have got the upper hand. I wasn't there so I am merely speculating .. but guys that act big when they are with a bunch of their mates tend to rapidly turn into cowards and scarper when the object of their bullying fights back and it becomes a one-on-one situation !!!

Quite possible that the person who started it buggered off and never got identified, I have no idea ....  but - based on whats been reported - Richie made the foolish decision to try and hide under a car and was nicked. Having said that, even if he had scarpered he is pretty recognisable as the "captain of the local top flight football team" so would probably have had a rap at his door later that morning anyway!