Richie Foran great restraint shown

HumbersideDude

DALNIEGHCALEY I wonder if the others involved in this case were just happy slappers!

Do you really believe that you or anyone else would have been treated differently? I suggest you contact your MP if you are outraged by this miscarriage of justice. You seem to know a bit more than the JP did. If you have any facts which were not presented in court please tell us now. You seem to be somewhat perturbed by the fact a hefty punishment was not involved. I wasn't there when the incident occurred, were you ?

When did I say I was outraged ?

I said if you were outraged you ought to take the matter further. You seem upset by the court ruling!

DALNIEGHCALEY I wonder if the others involved in this case were just happy slappers!

Do you really believe that you or anyone else would have been treated differently? I suggest you contact your MP if you are outraged by this miscarriage of justice. You seem to know a bit more than the JP did. If you have any facts which were not presented in court please tell us now. You seem to be somewhat perturbed by the fact a hefty punishment was not involved. I wasn't there when the incident occurred, were you ?

When did I say I was outraged ?

I said if you were outraged you ought to take the matter further. You seem upset by the court ruling!

I'd say mystified more than upset .

You answered your own question there . If the Captain of the local top flight football team was assaulted and the assault was captured on CCTV. I think the perpetrator would have been arrested and charged with assault and it would be all over the local press .

It doesnt take a rocket scientist ...... reading between the lines he was assaulted - as well as being subjected to sectarian abuse for being Irish

According to that article, he wasn't subject to sectarian abuse, as being Irish isn't a religion (apart from some pretendy "Irish" Celtic supporters!).  

tell that to the HN: http://www.highland-news.co.uk/News/Caley-Thistle-star-Richie-Foran-in-court-over-hate-mob-brawl.htm

For the record, sectarianism does not just cover religion, although in Scottish football that is mainly what the focus is. The Nil By Mouth campaign offers up a definition: http://nilbymouth.org/what-is-sectarianism/ 

The prejudice which stains Scottish culture fuels an alarming reality that you need not belong to a particular faith to be a victim of sectarianism. The school you attend, the community you belong to, your name, your accent or the colour of your clothing can all mark you out as a target for discrimination and abuse. There are many many examples of where this has been the case. We define sectarianism as: “Narrow-minded beliefs that lead to prejudice, discrimination, malice and ill-will towards members, or presumed members, of a religious denomination.”

You cant tell me that the inference in the article I linked above was not that (Southern) Irish = Catholic and therefore open to abuse.

tell that to the HN: http://www.highland-news.co.uk/News/Caley-Thistle-star-Richie-Foran-in-court-over-hate-mob-brawl.htm

For the record, sectarianism does not just cover religion, although in Scottish football that is mainly what the focus is. The Nil By Mouth campaign offers up a definition: http://nilbymouth.org/what-is-sectarianism/ 

The prejudice which stains Scottish culture fuels an alarming reality that you need not belong to a particular faith to be a victim of sectarianism. The school you attend, the community you belong to, your name, your accent or the colour of your clothing can all mark you out as a target for discrimination and abuse. There are many many examples of where this has been the case. We define sectarianism as: “Narrow-minded beliefs that lead to prejudice, discrimination, malice and ill-will towards members, or presumed members, of a religious denomination.”

You cant tell me that the inference in the article I linked above was not that (Southern) Irish = Catholic and therefore open to abuse.

Actually yes.  I've heard many stories about the players out and about and some of them as people, sound absolutely horrendous.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if they drunkenly rubbed someone up the wrong way and thus led to this scuffle.

Edited by Renegade

Mystified at what? That he's not been sentenced yet?

Mystified that the victim of an assault gets charged for defending himself . Fair play to Richie though and I personally hope he leathered the racist .

Nothing mystifing about a victim being arrested.  It happened to me. I was attacked by 8 ski-bum types one night in Carrbridge  and as they were knocking umpteen piles of poop out of me, I hit one with a bottle that one of them had dropped. Messy. I had broken wrist, knocked out for 5 minutes and cuts all over  I got charged with assault and one of the other guy's got charged with breach of the peace.

When the 'victim' is deemed to have given as good as he/she got they are frequently charged !!! In my opinion, the cops reach for the sky with some charges or take a scattergun approach and lay multiple charges in the hope that a guilty plea is negotiated for some.

I sat on a High Court jury many years ago where according to the story (corroborated by both sides) the accused was getting seven shades of **** kicked out of him but - according to the defence - he had managed to grab something, anything, nearby, which happened to be a bottle. He hit one of his attackers and the bottle broke, the attacker was cut badly (left a scar) and when all the dust settled the guy who had been set upon was charged with attempted murder. We might have found him guilty of assault, but no way was it attempted murder and from what I can remember the jury settled on 'not proven'.

• Agree 1

Surely if you are assaulted in the street,you are allowed to defend yourself?

The news reports and CCTV seem to indicate he was punched twice before he retaliated so why was he even charged? If your not allowed to defend yourself whilst being attacked,what are you supposed to do,sit and take a kicking?

Is this the Police taking the huff because he ran away? Find it quite disturbing that you could end up in court for defending yourself or is it on the basis how far you go in defending yourself?

• Agree 1

Having read a couple of reports on this I get the impression a couple of beat cops saw a fracas and moved in. Everyone ran and Richie tried to hide but was caught and subsequently charged with breach of the peace. Looks like that and cctv were the only evidence and no further investigating was carried out to trace the others involved. It seems there were no assault charges laid at anyone. Just breaking the peace. Cops added perverting the course of justice to make a case of it but that was thrown out. Probably none of it should have ever reached the courts. Thats my take on it anyway.

• Agree 2