nick ross

bigman

Nick Ross deserves better than 2 minutes of injury time -to me that was an insult to the lad . Hughes really thinks he is something of a tactical genius but to me the sooner he does one the better,second half was appalling.

• Agree 2

Nick Ross deserves better than 2 minutes of injury time -to me that was an insult to the lad . Hughes really thinks he is something of a tactical genius but to me the sooner he does one the better,second half was appalling.

But first half was sensational though 

• Agree 1

Probably a combination of OCG and DD explanations.

Who would you have played him instead of? The only one of our front 6 I felt was below par was Tansey, passed to too many tangerine shirts for me, and that position isn't really one Ross could fill.

To me it showed disrespect to NIck Ross ,don't suppose Nick was to chuffed either.

But this is life under John Hughes a threadbare squad and players being released without replacements brought in see Greenhalgh scored again

• Agree 1

Plenty of managers put on players with a couple of minutes to go. Don't see what the big deal is tbh. Yogi generally seems far more willing to put on players earlier than Butcher ever did.

Forres Jags - another positive post??? Many managers throughout football make substitutions with minutes remaining to 'break up the game' and run down the clock. Especially when their team has several first team players missing through injury or suspension as was the case today. If you think Nick Ross's performance's of late have deserved a starting slot you are delusional.  

People will moan about anything...

Mostly related in a 2+2=5 formulation aimed at John Hughes ?

Most managers bring on players with minutes to spare to run down the clock or give a MOTM the recognition he deserves....seems to me as though people can't wait to criticise Yogi.

• Agree 1

I think this is a ridiculous complaint, managers take on players with minutes/seconds to go every week

While some, including myself may have doubts about Yogi having a go at him for this is uncalled for.

Edited by gordieict
  • Agree 1

You are just another "victim" caught in the crossfire :wink:

Nick Ross - to me - is the most annoying player that we have - he can look like a real winner one week and go to the other end of the scale the next. He has the experience, he has a bit of pace, he can certainly pass and score BUT I cant believe that he has not muscled up over the years - he looks the feckin same. Poor Nick has turned in to a bit of a squad player and a good late substitute - and that is all down to inconsistency.

• Agree 2

Couldn't agree more, very talented but very frustrating to watch.

I think he needs a very good manager, someone who can convince him how good he is and not be scared to score 

Couldn't agree more, very talented but very frustrating to watch.

I think he needs a very good manager, someone who can convince him how good he is and not be scared to score 

Sorry Ronaldo but a very good manager cannot give him the physical aspect of the game that Nick needs to secure a future. I have said it many time before, he just doesn't seem interested or willing to fight for the 50/50 ball or making the tackle when needed. If he could add this to his game I would give him a regular start - but I don't pick the team.

Absolutely.  He wouldn't be in my starting line up at the moment but there is no doubting his talent.  It's interesting to watch him in the warm up routines before a match when he is as good as anyone in playing the 1,2 with the coach and burying the ball in the back of the net.  It doesn't happen on the park though and when he does have the opportunity to shoot he is more likely to pass.  He is a good passer of the ball and his ball control is good.  He has the ability to drift past players from time to time but doesn't do it enough.  It maybe sounds silly but sometimes with the way he moves and his natural balance he reminds me a bit of George Best.

But - and it's a big but, he doesn't pressure the opposition enough when they have the ball, as Caleyboy says, he doesn't fight hard enough for the 50:50 balls and he doesn't take enough responsibility for making things happen when he's on the ball.  It is hugely frustrating because he has the potential to be a superb player.  I think you have to accept that his physique is what it is and I agree with Ronaldo that it needs a good manager to get him to believe in himself and motivate him to show more aggression in his game.  It may actually be Latapy rather than Hughes who can convince Nick of his ability and what he needs to do to realise his potential.  Until he does toughen up mentally I can't see him featuring too much in Hughes' line ups.

• Agree 1

Yep, needs the gym too for some muscle building, I wouldn't disagree with that, but this should be apart of his personal development plan, or is this just for civil servants like me! 

Forres Jags - another positive post??? Many managers throughout football make substitutions with minutes remaining to 'break up the game' and run down the clock. Especially when their team has several first team players missing through injury or suspension as was the case today. If you think Nick Ross's performance's of late have deserved a starting slot you are delusional.

Having slept on it you are right his performance yesterday was poor, no killer passes, no shots on goal think Mr Hughes should halve his game time to 60 seconds next week.

Good point though about running down the clock when we were in need of the three points more than the opposition genius.

Whereas I don't see it as an issue that he was brought on at the end. a) Christie gets a round of applause, b) Ross gets an appearance fee no doubt. It'll probably cheer him up.

It is surprising he's not getting more game time. He is one of the best passers in the team and capable of things others are not. He has talent, of that there is no doubt.

He is however soft, and can be inconsistent. Next season, for me, might be make of break for him. He needs to, over the summer spend a bit of time in the gym and try and bulk up for pre season. He's got the build of someone who will never get fat but with the right diet he can add upper body strength. Chicken and fish for dinner!

He has to earn that game time in training though.

• Agree 1