Pre-season friendlies

caleydawson

That's hardly a report! It's a compiled version of Twitter posts!

Sorry. I was going to post it in articles, but they are all results and comments with a couple of reports thrown in so sod it, I posted it in the reports section.

Some of them are tweets, but that's all we have to go on. Just trying to keep everything in order before the season starts.

• Agree 2

That's hardly a report! It's a compiled version of Twitter posts!

Sorry. I was going to post it in articles, but they are all results and comments with a couple of reports thrown in so sod it, I posted it in the reports section.

Some of them are tweets, but that's all we have to go on. Just trying to keep everything in order before the season starts.

I know you were - I was just being pedantic! :crazy:

Thought today was a good demonstration of what Yogi is trying to achieve in terms of ball retention and movement....in all areas of the pitch.

What we all need to keep in mind is that these are essentially training games and the main objective/focus (for now) might not be how many goals we can score.  I know from discussions I've had with Russell and stuff we're putting in place for video analysis (first season where we're being asked to produce footage specifically for that purpose) that the team are concentrating on positioning at the moment and both he and John were happy with what they witnessed today in terms of the progress being made on that front.

Raith Rovers are no slouches and having spoken to one of their guys after the game he was both surprised and impressed by how much we frustrated them by not allowing them to get any time on the ball and limiting their options to all but trying to catch us on the counter....and credit where it's due, they just about did on a couple of occasions.

What was also reassuring was the fact that we made 5 half-time subs with a further 2 later on in the game....and every player that came on slotted into the team seamlessly.  That goes a long way to removing the fear I've had in previous seasons where injuries etc have left us having to rely on untried players or players without much match time.

Anyone who's not had a chance to see much or anything from the pre-season games should make sure they get themselves along for the Fleetwood game next Sunday....I have a feeling you'll regret missing it if you don't.

• Agree 2

Enjoyed the game at Stark's Park yesterday. Our play looked a lot more fluent and we controlled long stretches of the game far better than in the equivalent fixture last year, and as Don mentioned above, the changes in line-up didn't disrupt the fluency; in fact, our dominance became greater as the game wore on. We did lack impact in the final third: some of the final balls were a bit disappointing, and the Raith defence marshalled Mckay well and didn't give him much freedom, despite some excellent first touches. Williams seemed to be playing in a more central role than towards the end of last season, almost in the hole behind Mckay, and he had a very good half. Christie again provided real creativity in attack when he came on, and I really hope that the manager is thinking of him as a first choice starter in the coming season. I also liked the look of the number 18 when he came on (I thought it was Calum Ferguson, but someone mentioned above that he was playing for the U20s yesterday, so presumably it wasn't) - he seemed to have a good turn of pace in wide areas, which is something we could really do with.

The Fleetwood and Birmingham games will probably provide much tougher tests, but there was plenty to be happy with yesterday.   

• Agree 3

Enjoyed the game at Stark's Park yesterday. Our play looked a lot more fluent and we controlled long stretches of the game far better than in the equivalent fixture last year, and as Don mentioned above, the changes in line-up didn't disrupt the fluency; in fact, our dominance became greater as the game wore on. We did lack impact in the final third: some of the final balls were a bit disappointing, and the Raith defence marshalled Mckay well and didn't give him much freedom, despite some excellent first touches. Williams seemed to be playing in a more central role than towards the end of last season, almost in the hole behind Mckay, and he had a very good half. Christie again provided real creativity in attack when he came on, and I really hope that the manager is thinking of him as a first choice starter in the coming season. I also liked the look of the number 18 when he came on (I thought it was Calum Ferguson, but someone mentioned above that he was playing for the U20s yesterday, so presumably it wasn't) - he seemed to have a good turn of pace in wide areas, which is something we could really do with.

The Fleetwood and Birmingham games will probably provide much tougher tests, but there was plenty to be happy with yesterday.   

Thought today was a good demonstration of what Yogi is trying to achieve in terms of ball retention and movement....in all areas of the pitch.

What we all need to keep in mind is that these are essentially training games and the main objective/focus (for now) might not be how many goals we can score.  I know from discussions I've had with Russell and stuff we're putting in place for video analysis (first season where we're being asked to produce footage specifically for that purpose) that the team are concentrating on positioning at the moment and both he and John were happy with what they witnessed today in terms of the progress being made on that front.

Raith Rovers are no slouches and having spoken to one of their guys after the game he was both surprised and impressed by how much we frustrated them by not allowing them to get any time on the ball and limiting their options to all but trying to catch us on the counter....and credit where it's due, they just about did on a couple of occasions.

What was also reassuring was the fact that we made 5 half-time subs with a further 2 later on in the game....and every player that came on slotted into the team seamlessly.  That goes a long way to removing the fear I've had in previous seasons where injuries etc have left us having to rely on untried players or players without much match time.

Anyone who's not had a chance to see much or anything from the pre-season games should make sure they get themselves along for the Fleetwood game next Sunday....I have a feeling you'll regret missing it if you don't.

If Yogi and Russell are happy with the performances in terms of what they are looking to achieve then thats good enough for me. I was probably slightly harsh in my review having a bit more time to reflect as there was a lot of positive stuff being played on the field. 

Number 18 yesterday was a Chris Brown and I agree looked comfortable on the field. Would have liked to have seen Ryan Baptie a bit more as have heard some good things about him from some of my hibbie friends. I think the real positive we have to see for the future of the club is these young lads coming on and making an impact Christie, Polworth and Ferguson are all up there in my eyes and excited to see them develop at the club.

• Agree 1

Can only echo what has been said from the Game. 

First half we looked confident in possession and passed it around easily limiting them to breaks. Which is fine. but felt we didn't create enough clear chances and looked vulnerable to the break. Its possible that against better opposition we'd be punished but also against better opposition we would probably have more space to play in as they wouldn't sit so deep all of the time. Have to see how it looks when the season gets going.

Second half much of the same but with a change in personnel. I say much the same but i actually thought we looked much better and definitely more fluid than in the first. cutting through the defense more and creating more clear cut chances. Billy missed a one on one while Christie and Doran had a few pot shots before the goal. Still looked vulnerable though. Would really hope Christie gets the start ahead of vincent, I just feel he is more direct and definitely has a bit of a goal threat about him.

Raith were solid and Nade does a great job of holding up the play and getting in about the defenders. I feel we could do with a similar type of player for days when Billy's subtleties and mobility aren't called for. and as a viable alternative of course.

All in a good day, plenty to feel good about but still plenty of questions.

Would really hope Christie gets the start ahead of vincent, I just feel he is more direct and definitely has a bit of a goal threat about him.

This, absolutely. Christie and Vincent's goal ratio for minutes on the pitch must be chalk and cheese! I really hope Christie becomes unstoppable this season as we look much more dangerous with him playing off Billy.

• Agree 1

Would really hope Christie gets the start ahead of vincent, I just feel he is more direct and definitely has a bit of a goal threat about him.

This, absolutely. Christie and Vincent's goal ratio for minutes on the pitch must be chalk and cheese! I really hope Christie becomes unstoppable this season as we look much more dangerous with him playing off Billy.

I've just noticed autocorrect changed "undroppable" to "unstoppable"...

Unstoppable would also be good though.

• Agree 1

They were apparently unlucky to lose 2-1 it was Ferguson again who got the goal.

He's 'flying' 'tisnow!

I'm sure you're spot-on about there being a lot of the 'kids' playing last night, as the Highland League website advertised the game as being our U19's.

Huntly v Ellon United (7.45pm)

Wick Academy v Elgin City (7.45pm)

Clachnacuddin v Ross County (7.30pm)

Dufftown v Lossiemouth (7.30pm)

Keith v Inverness CT U19s (7.30pm)

Nairn St Ninian v Strathspey (7.15pm

I expect tonight's game against Deveronvale will feature a mixture of the first team and U20's, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson was again involved at some point!

Could we have unwittingly, from with-in, solved our search for another striker?! I certainly see him making his full first team debut this season. Maybe our early League Cup game?

The real pre season starts Sunday up till now any loss would have been considered a major shock which shows how far ICTFC has come " we are one of Scotland's big teams " now

Roll on the 9 th !!

The real pre season starts Sunday up till now any loss would have been considered a major shock which shows how far ICTFC has come " we are one of Scotland's big teams " now

Roll on the 9 th !!

Well let's hope if Fleetwood get a penalty their manager doesn't decide to take it himself.