Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone

Scotty

Guest Mahonio

How much do we net for finishing 5th?

Very satisfied with end to season and good to see Young Christie on scoresheet again :-).

Bring on next season and a push for Europe lol :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

You don't really need to watch the Alba screening until half time as absolutely nothing happened in one of the dullest 45 minutes of football ever seen on this planet, or any other planet for that matter. However, we went up a gear after the break and thoroughly deserved our win. Tansey's goal worth waiting for as he crashed the ball home in the last minutes of the game. Billy McKay left the field early after taking a knock challenging Mannus. We probably should have made more of some of our breaks forward and had a couple booted away from entering the net, but 2-0 it was and our goal difference ended at zero for the season.

Most exciting thing in the first half was the introduction of Mr Whippy from the start, did a roaring trade. The second half was better because we didn't need to concede a goal before moving up a gear. Good end to the season with a clean sheet though.

• Agree 1

Just noticed that the game is on alba at half past six.

As Captain Mainwaring used to say..... "I was waiting for someone to notice that". Except I really WAS waiting for someone to notice it. :smile:

Full game "as live" coverage. Programme on from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Post match interviews with Ryan Christie and Graeme Shinnie.

As Cpt Mainwaing used to say...." you stupid boy" lol

Charles....sssssh! Your age is showing. Do you remember Biggles and Algie his Navigator perchance?

Or Dick Barton,. Special Agent--kept me glued to the wartime radio.He was something else.

Or even Catherine Garscadden of  Children's hour broadcast from Glasgow on the Home Service? :wave:

Tm4J-- where is the question mark?  

Cannae answer a statement telling me ah'm human, which and I take to be a compliment, unless I know what you want from me. Aye! :lol:

Hope to see you back next season Manfer. Always enjoy your craic --and your reports and pre-game summaries which have proved over time that you are a very smart cookie.

There you go--issue defused. :cheer01:

Decent end to a somewhat frustrating run in. 2 well taken goals and a clean sheet, cant say fairer than that. Think it was fairly clear that St J's had 1 eye on the cup final, which I suppose is understandable but was really impressed by some of our play, especially in the 2nd half. 

Glad the season is done, felt like it was starting to drag on a bit, we all deserve a break  :happy: . Hope the players come back rejuvenated and get off to another flyer next season.

Been a season of real highs and real lows but as always its a pleasure following this club with such good fans...see you all in 14/15  :ictscarf:

• Agree 5

That was a poor show from ALBA.  Where was the warning about the sight right at the end of the program?  The kids are off to bed and I am fully expecting screaming nightmares to occur through the night.  I spent years telling them there are no monsters in the house, and then Alba show CALEYD !!!!   ;-)

I don't know what to make of that. Obviously it was great to end the season with a win, end in 5th rather than sixth and to beat last year's points tally. Great also to sign off the season with an excellent last minute goal from Greg Tansey.  But what do we learn from the match to take into next season?

It was very much a game of two halves - again! First half was dull with very little action. Lots of sideways and backwards passing culminating in a pass back to Brill from Shinnie of all people from inside the opposition half! Second half was much, much better. It looked as though the half time team talk went something like "OK boys, forget everything I've taught you and just go out and play your natural game and give it a right good go!" We were much more threatening when we were more direct and attacking with pace and width.

But then after the match Hughes in his interview was saying that we'd not been passing it quickly enough and we needed to up the pace of the game.  He said the players were taking on board what he was trying to do and it showed in the second half.  It does seem to me that the way we played in the first half was how we've tended to play since Hughes came in (ball to feet) and the way we played in the second half was how we were playing in the first half of the season when when we were 2nd (ball into the spaces).  If how we played in the 2nd half was the way Hughes wants the team to play then that's fine by me but it certainly contrasted sharply with the style of play we have only witnessed since Hughes came here.

The conclusions I reach are:-

1. We have a very talented squad of players who are capable of playing very exciting attacking football.
  2. We have a manager who in recent weeks has had the team playing in a style which is boring to watch and which has been very unsuccessful.
  3. We have a manager who today takes credit for a 2nd half performance which was much more in the style of the team before he took up post.
  4. I have no idea what Hughes really wants from the team and consequently no idea of the style of football we are likely to witness next year.

• Agree 1

I don't know what to make of that. Obviously it was great to end the season with a win, end in 5th rather than sixth and to beat last year's points tally. Great also to sign off the season with an excellent last minute goal from Greg Tansey.  But what do we learn from the match to take into next season?

It was very much a game of two halves - again! First half was dull with very little action. Lots of sideways and backwards passing culminating in a pass back to Brill from Shinnie of all people from inside the opposition half! Second half was much, much better. It looked as though the half time team talk went something like "OK boys, forget everything I've taught you and just go out and play your natural game and give it a right good go!" We were much more threatening when we were more direct and attacking with pace and width.

But then after the match Hughes in his interview was saying that we'd not been passing it quickly enough and we needed to up the pace of the game.  He said the players were taking on board what he was trying to do and it showed in the second half.  It does seem to me that the way we played in the first half was how we've tended to play since Hughes came in (ball to feet) and the way we played in the second half was how we were playing in the first half of the season when when we were 2nd (ball into the spaces).  If how we played in the 2nd half was the way Hughes wants the team to play then that's fine by me but it certainly contrasted sharply with the style of play we have only witnessed since Hughes came here.

The conclusions I reach are:-

• We have a very talented squad of players who are capable of playing very exciting attacking football.
  • We have a manager who in recent weeks has had the team playing in a style which is boring to watch and which has been very unsuccessful.
  • We have a manager who today takes credit for a 2nd half performance which was much more in the style of the team before he took up post.
  • I have no idea what Hughes really wants from the team and consequently no idea of the style of football we are likely to witness next year.

You and yogi lol

npa5yMn.gif

Hooda taut it - wee ICT finishing so far up the very best league in the country !  I'm proud to claim my home town team as my favourite side !  And look forward to even better results next season, please ?

• Agree 6

......and, referee Steven Maclean who missed the fairly blatant Considine push on Richie at the end of the cup final, yesterday felt Sutton's last minute aerial body check on Langfield yesterday, was fair. Fair play to Motherwell for finishing 2nd again. 

................will Falkirk send Butcher down again? If Butcher takes them down let us not forget this great quote ''Malpass confessed he would have been better off financially if he had stayed in Inverness but admitted the lure of a big club in the capital was too much.''

ICT set a new record points haul in the top league yesterday and take a well earned rest before regrouping and learning significant lessons from this season. 

The team was obviously missing a few players and this affected the team choice however we looked unbalanced until Vincent was taken off when at least we seemed to have a natural shape.

Have yet to be convinced by Vincent though he started the pre-season very well but one thing for sure is that he is not a wide midfielder and his instincts take him to the wrong places continuously (can't fault his willingness to keep going though).

Baffled why we did not just start Doran wide right (where he eventually finished the game) and Nick wide left (where he started the season).

Best players were Tremarco and Devine followed by Shinnie and Raven. Ryan was a bit patchy (which is what you get with young players) and Doran huffed and puffed (may just be too many pies though ;)) however his shot showed why fans of other teams fear him as he has the ability to change the game even when he is not on a good day.

Strangely given how much I rate Warren I am now starting to think that a Devine/Meekings central partnership may be our strongest. Great place to be in to have three solid guys in this area.

Finally, Billy needs to make up with whoever has put a bad luck curse on him. On another day he would have had a couple of goals but deflections went against him.

......and, referee Steven Maclean who missed the fairly blatant Considine push on Richie at the end of the cup final, yesterday felt Sutton's last minute aerial body check on Langfield yesterday, was fair. Fair play to Motherwell for finishing 2nd again. 

................will Falkirk send Butcher down again? If Butcher takes them down let us not forget this great quote ''Malpass confessed he would have been better off financially if he had stayed in Inverness but admitted the lure of a big club in the capital was too much.''

ICT set a new record points haul in the top league yesterday and take a well earned rest before regrouping and learning significant lessons from this season. 

Not strictly true as we actually attained 58 points in season 2005/06.