The world cup!

Ayeseetee

I was just wondering what team you will be supporting this world cup and why?

For me its Belgium simply because they were top of Scotlands qualifying group and the last world cup I used the same logic and supported the Netherlands who got to the final!

Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

I admire the craft of Italy's midfield play-maker, Pirlo; the goalscoring prowess of Uruguay's Suarez and I particularly enjoy the coffee from Costa Rica.

It's ironic that the three of them have ended up in the same group!

• Agree 2

Nigeria

Like Scotland, Canada did not make it to the world Cup so I dont have a direct team to support, but as my wife's parents are Nigerian, making my son's heritage Scottish, Canadian, and Nigerian then I have to go for them.  

Will also keep an eye on the teams that players from Toronto FC will be representing. That would be Brazil (Julio Cesar), USA (Michael Bradley) and England (Jermain Defoe). I wont be supporting England - nor will I be a 'hater' - but I will be hoping Defoe does well on a personal level if he makes the final squad. Spain, Italy, Portugal will get a favourable nod too as I enjoyed recent holidays in those countries.

As I got France and Cameroon in the work sweepstake it will have to be them then....not holding my breath though....

No European team has ever won the World Cup in South America so will be interesting to see if any of the European teams can prevent that from continuing - Spain may be the best bet but we shall see....

Been following World Cups since 1970 in Mexico sometimes including Scotland and latterly not and I have never been less enthusiastic about the premier international tournament than this one.

At this stage, honestly don't care.

I really dont have a "beef" with any of the teams competing. So, on that basis, I will be cheering on my usual faves (Brazil), but would also love to see an underdog win for a change. An African winner would be cool!

Been following World Cups since 1970 in Mexico sometimes including Scotland and latterly not and I have never been less enthusiastic about the premier international tournament than this one.

At this stage, honestly don't care.

Same.  Just don't feel enthused about it in any way, shape or form.  Seems very low key at the moment but wondering if that is more to do with how close the English Premiership was run up until the final games at the weekend.  I expect the media deluge to start any . . . moment . . . now.

Maybe there's a bit of football-fatigue setting in! It's simply relentless - we never really get a break from it!!

This season, there's still the Cup Final to come and the Europa and Champions League finals. Next week it's the Hibernian play-offs. Even then, the season's not over - the Scottish Junior Cup final is on 1st JUNE! There's even a Scotland v. Nigeria game in there somewhere....

Then of course, a matter of days later, sees the start of the World Cup....during which, we'll actually have already played at least one pre-season friendly!! The one confirmed game we've got so far is Elgin (away) on Saturday 12th July - the day BEFORE the World Cup final! There really is no 'close season' this year.

The one confirmed game we've got so far is Elgin (away) on Saturday 12th July - the day BEFORE the World Cup final!

Apparently this fixture clash is the reason Hodgson didn't name Meekings in his squad.

• Agree 3

You lot get me going

When Scotland entered the World Cup I think Munich. All of England were behind them

Now due to the "little man syndrome", which prevails north of the border, we get this nonsense

You lot get me going

When Scotland entered the World Cup I think Munich. All of England were behind them

Now due to the "little man syndrome", which prevails north of the border, we get this nonsense

Quite right Laurence, it is ridiculous those Jocks don't think or act how you want them to, especially after all this time you have lived in Jockoland, and given that they forced you to live among them.

Poor show by the sweaties. 

• Agree 2

You lot get me going

ABE now for sure.

What is with the English obsession that Scottish people should support them. There is enough people in England they don't need our support. Rivalry is a major part of football, will Tottenham fans be supporting arsenal today as they are a London team?

There is a particular fetish they have about Scottish people supporting their country and mock outrage when they say they don't care. Although it seems it's not just restricted to Scotland. If you watch the breakfast tv programmes especially the arrogance that everyone should care about the England football team is quite funny. Last time they would ask any American actor interviewed if they would be supporting England, when their own team was in the competition and in England's group. Shakira was also interview and got the same question! Why do they think that a Colombia married to one of the Spanish players would be supporting England.

I wonder if Austrian's get asked every year if they will be supporting Germany.

• Agree 3