The world cup!

Ayeseetee

Apparently he did it because it was a Chewsday .... hopes to play for Hungary in the next world cup

Latest is that it seems like they are giving him the chop !

Suarez must be the only person whose face lights up at the prospect of getting the cold shoulder!

It will be interesting to see what the outcome of the FIFA investigation is.  Despite meeting for some time yesterday, they failed to make a decision.  Surely if it was simply to satisfy themselves that Suarez did bite Chiellini and to give Suarez a lengthy ban then that would have been done.  This sounds to me as though it is going either one of two ways.  Either they are going to say that the evidence is inconclusive and that as the referee took no action against Suarez, then neither can they.  That would be a scandalous outcome and would  be one which I am sure some members of the committee would not be prepared to accept.  On the other hand, they may say that the evidence was conclusive and given Suarez's previous record are considering some draconian measure.  They may also be considering some statement or taking action against Uruguay whose response to this episode is almost as bad as that of the goofy loony himself.  I see even the President of Uruguay has chipped in almost condoning his actions rather than making a statement to the effect that Suarez has shamed his country.

Apart from Chiellini himself, the italians have not said a lot about the incident.  That is perhaps surprising because the incident may well have cost them their place in the tournament.  It was just moments after this that Uruguay got their goal and it must have affected their focus.  It would be nice to think FIFA would throw Uruguay out of the competition as well as Suarez himself to give an absolutely clear message of how seriously they regard the incident.  Can't see it, though.

The other point that emerges from this was raised by Alan Shearer last night in relation to the France / Nigeria game.  One of the French players clearly elbowed a Nigerian in the face but this was in the situation where the Nigerian had the Frenchman in a bear hug to stop him moving at a set piece.  Where attackers are prevented from moving in this way, they are bound to struggle to free themselves.  I'm not saying this was why Suarez bit Chiellini as Chiellini was not holding Suarez at the time - but he may have been doing so earlier in the game.

By all means throw the book at Suarez but might this not be a really good opportunity for Fifa to instruct referees to take actions against defenders fouling like this in the box?  I'm sure a few decisions to award a penalty when defenders have attackers in bear hugs or are holding onto their arms etc would soon improve the situation and would prevent attackers lashing out in frustration.  It is a physical game and there will always be jostling in the box - but I just think things have gone way beyond the limit.

Had it been a player who is seen to have less quality/talent and/or little personality (be it good or bad), they would receive a much more substantial punishment. BUT because this is Luis Suarez, who is currently seen as one of the greatest players in the world today, someone who sets shirt sales through the roof, and overall rakes in money for the sport he gets off very VERY lightly. Ridiculous.

Edited by Dale94

Very lenient, as Kingsmills noted.

The guy will be back playing by the end of October! Far too soon in my book!

The 9 game ban from Internationals will doubtless be shamefully exploited by Uruguay by arranging a series of pointless friendlies! That would enable Suarez to return for the Copa America Championships next summer.

Farce.

I'm hugely annoyed that this incident happened. It's tarnished the tournament and distracted much of the attention away from the events on the pitch.

It's still a fantastic World Cup and that moron shouldn't (but will) receive many more 'column inches' - the competition goes on - and tonight's games should add to the drama!

• Agree 2

If he does it again, which must surely be a distinct possibility, the only appropriate censure must be a two year ban.

Why don't they just make him wear a muzzle during games?

If he does it again, which must surely be a distinct possibility, the only appropriate censure must be a two year ban.

Why don't they just make him wear a muzzle during games?

Maybe he'll start humping legs

• Agree 2

Dog-gone it, mantis you're on the ball.

With Suarez out, the other teams are all now... chomping ...at the... bit.

If you can lip read really well you can make out what these other guys are saying . Like the German,whojust missed scoring..."Sh.te" he mouthed in perfect English.

Looks like our native language has caught on then...?

Now that England are out, are folk able to narrow who they want to win down a little better than simply anyone but England?  Personally I'd go for anyone but Uruguay. 

Oh!  And Germany, of course!

Actually, Suarez apart, I actually quite like Uruguay as a small nation with a great footballing history punching well above their weight.

Now that England are out, are folk able to narrow who they want to win ? 

I just want the best side to win, but whilst the pundits and bookies are understandably tipping Brazil, Argentina and Germany, I think the Dutch are in with a very decent chance. 

Was a better side in the group stage?  And they now have an easier route to the semis than anyone else - Mexico, then Greece/Cost Rica.  And if they make it that far, they are well capable of beating any of Argentina/Switz/Belgium/USA.  They made the final 4 years ago and they also made the final last time it was held in South America. I wouldn't be surprised if they do that again.

Now that England are out, are folk able to narrow who they want to win down a little better than simply anyone but England?  Personally I'd go for anyone but Uruguay. 

I am rooting for Brazil still but the Colombians have been really refreshing to watch, I'd like to see them go far! 

Oh!  And Germany, of course!

Actually, Suarez apart, I actually quite like Uruguay as a small nation with a great footballing history punching well above their weight.

A style of play taught by a Scotsman and a league system founded by that same Scotsman.

I'd have liked to see Uruguay reach the final but I think they'll struggle for goals without Suarez. I can see Holland getting there and probably Brazil. I think, for quite a few of the Dutch players, this is the last chance to bring glory to their country so perhaps they have the greater desire. Been runners up on a few occassions so nows the chance.

I`ve just got to get something out of my system ! 

The Suarez incident was not the only worryingly odd thing in recent days shown on tv from Brazil. 

Did you see Roy Hodgson trotting  in his suit & tie across the pitch with both hands in his trouser pockets ! !

Colombia must have been watching ICT games in preparation, they just tried the tap corner that ICT did in the Partick game last year. Unfortunately for them the officials in their game seem to be almost as bad as ours at knowing the rules and stopped play, though at least they did so straight away. It was made to be retaken rather than giving a free kick as the ball was rolled outside the quadrant and didn't stay in it, so the assistant must have thought it just wasn't placed correctly. Maybe foreign officials, I believe this is a Dutch crew, aren't the panacea some think.