The world cup!

Ayeseetee

You lot get me going

When Scotland entered the World Cup I think Munich. All of England were behind them

Now due to the "little man syndrome", which prevails north of the border, we get this nonsense

Because all english people are saints and I have never heard "scottish football is crap" or "who are ict and why not support a real team" I dont hate you as individuals but collectively oh yeah!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5112364.stm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/jun/19/euro2000.sport3

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/26/football-hooligans-world-cup-ban

And for comparison

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1961&newsCategoryID=3&newsID=650

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-fans-help-clear-serbian-1786167

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/europe-sees-tartan-army-as-football-s-perfect-fans-1-2130819

Why don't the english support germany when england get knocked out?.....our queen is german!

Edited by Ayeseetee

I agree we are all British so Scots should support England.  After all, if you look at the EPL, in Manchester, the United fans were all cheering on City as they are all from the same area.  That's also why Rangers fans are delighted that Celtic are winning the SPL, so at least they can enjoy their fellow city-dwellers bringing home the trophy to Glasgow.

There is really no room in football for any sort of rivalry.  Let's take a lesson from the SPL/SFL playoffs where the fans of Hearts and Hibs will, as ever, sit together cheering on the Edinburgh team. Any Edinburgh team.  After all, they are near each other, so why would there be any animosity?

• Agree 1

You lot get me going

When Scotland entered the World Cup I think Munich. All of England were behind them

Now due to the "little man syndrome", which prevails north of the border, we get this nonsense

You have strengthened the opinion that English people are the racist ones with your first sentence Laurence. Not Scots or people from the north. No! It has to be You lot

Mile Jedinak (Captain of Palace) will pull on the armband for Australia...their my team

I have no beef with a Scot not wanting to support England, seeing that overrated oaf Rooney in the side when he's does F all is enough to make me wince!

You lot get me going

Laurence don't think for one minute we are all anti English I think England might do quite well in this World Cup

There seems to be far less hype anew expectation on this England team than there usually is and that makes them more dangerous in my opinion

A lot of young quality players in their squad and they won't have any fear they could surprise a few nations I reckon

Certainly seems to be a few folk who are more anti English than pro Scottish on CTO which is quite sad

Dougal

Well since I live in Spain I will be watching them - Don't think they will win it this year - I also like the look of Belgium and they could go close , but the winners I think will come from one of the South American Countries but which one is anyone's guess

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the FIFA rankings, and the highest ranked teams not to qualify for Brazil are Ukraine (17th) and Scotland (22nd).

The lowest ranked of the 32 to be there are Australia (59th).

Grew up and live in Scotland, so I'll support them.

Didn't they?

Well, I'm Canadian-born, so come on the Maples!

No?

Wife's Egyptian, so Pharaos it is!

Not them either?

Ah well, I'll just have to go a little bit back in family history and cheer on Northern Ireland.

Are there any bloody teams in this poxy tournament???

Edited by starchief
  • Agree 2

All I want to see is good exciting football with teams competing right from the outset and not settling for safe draws.

If I have to make a choice I'll back the little urchin's team for the sake of the Auld Alliance or Spain.

Not anti English by any means but hate their exaggerated hype when it comes to football, especially from their commentators, besides they are not at home, I don't think they are good enough and have had to qualify to get to the finals. Three good reasons for them not to win.

• Agree 1

I see all you bigots having a go at me , as usual nothing different there,

Do I have to remind you your leader said ,  " Scotland and England should be good neighbours",

Neighbours usually support each other not the guys thousands of miles away? 

I didn't mean Scots or Northerners.

I meant the usual Anti Dingwall, Anti Butcher, Anti everybody brigade who frequent this message board.

They know who they are. I don't think but a few of them are a third of my age.

Not wanting to sound pompous but I felt "you lot" summed up completely my feelings.

I am not anti anybody. I quite like Scotland, Ross County, Hibernian or even Rangers.

The exception that proves the rule is I anti bigotry on this message board.

I didn't mean Scots or Northerners.

I meant the usual Anti Dingwall, Anti Butcher, Anti everybody brigade who frequent this message board.

They know who they are. I don't think but a few of them are a third of my age.

Not wanting to sound pompous but I felt "you lot" summed up completely my feelings.

I am not anti anybody. I quite like Scotland, Ross County, Hibernian or even Rangers.

The exception that proves the rule is I anti bigotry on this message board.

When can we expect the English translation of this? :blink:

Laurence, calling people bigots personal abuse and a clear breach of site rules. Disappointing from one of our more mature contributors, at least in terms of age, any more of it and you will find yourself unable to post on this thread.

Do I have to remind you your leader said ,  " Scotland and England should be good neighbours",

'Bigots' is awfully strong isn't it?!  I think you'll find that most Scottish people view the Scotland/England rivalry as a bit of sporting banter, there's no real hatred or bitterness towards the ordinary English person, rather annoyance towards the "England are great" and this "Big Daddy England are going to win it" attitude that seems to permeate the media at these times and delight in seeing their closest rivals smug dreams tarnished yet again.

You might also find a large amount of Scots couldn't give two hoots whether England win or lose and others may be supporting another country due to links with them.  Many Scots will have lived in Australia or America or on the continent for example.  Why should they support England, just because they happen to from the country next door when they have a much stronger connection with another nation?

What I do find irritating though is your constant "Big Daddy England" attitude, as if we little Scottish people are inferior to you.  Claiming that Scottish people should support England, just because we live near-by, is arrogant and ignorant in the extreme.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I had a quick look Laurence but can't find any bigots having a go at you personally.

I see one or two questioning your views but nobody's calling anybody names, apart from yourself.

I suggest you use the 'report' button in future for specific users, rather than just rant at all the users, aka 'you lot' .

Edited by TheMantis