The world cup!

Ayeseetee

Well said Lawrence.  Scotland should support their neighbour England.  After all, England are well known for their unstinting love for their neighbour France.

Yeah but they're French!

Anyway I'm supporting Australia...the fact that Mile Jedinak is their Captain has absolutely nothing to do with it!

Can this be correct? I've just read that, before last night, England had only ever had one player sent off in a friendly match. Ever!

Considering Scotland and England contested the first International back in the late 19th Century, that's a truly amazing statistic.

The only previous dismissal was in 1977. Trevor Cherry.

Can this be correct? I've just read that, before last night, England had only ever had one player sent off in a friendly match. Ever!

Considering Scotland and England contested the first International back in the late 19th Century, that's a truly amazing statistic.

possibly because we had the home nation tournaments and maybe they weren't classed as a friendly?

It was the first minister who said "  We Will be Good neighbours"

Great Britain did save France from Nazi oppression during my lifetime .

I won a packet at the bookies betting France to win the world Cup - what a team that was?

I did support Lens at one time and had  a Maison in the Pas de Calaise

You have to get up early in the morning to put me on the back foot

Many posters have tried but  few  have the ability  = .   Eagle ?

With your stereotype outlook on your hum drum  life

Edited by Laurence

Considering Scotland and England contested the first International back in the late 19th Century, that's a truly amazing statistic.

Scotland haven't had many reds in friendlies either. In the last 30 years I think the only one was 1995, John Spencer in Japan (2 yellows in the 1st half, game ended 0-0).

Prior to that it was Willie Johnston in Argentina 1977 (1-1) unless you class the British Championship as friendlies - Joe Jordan got one in a 2-0 defeat in Wales in 1981.

It was the first minister who said " We Will be Good neighbours"

Great Britain did save France from Nazi oppression during my lifetime .

I won a packet at the bookies betting France to win the world Cup - what a team that was?

I did support Lens at one time and has a Maison in the Pas de Calaise

You have to get up early in the morning to put me on the back foot

Many posters have tried but few have the ability = . Eagle ?

With your stereotype outlook on your hum drum life

And I was thinking starting a world cup thread was a good idea... now we have to pick up all the toys laurence keeps throwing out of his pram. Edited by Ayeseetee
  • Agree 1

Just admit it

You are bigots

Tell Mr Salmond you are not good neighbours

And for the record I don't care half as much if England do well in the world cup as I do that ICT finish in the top six

And if you keep having a go at me , I will keep reminding you to be good neighbours till you shut up

Edited by Laurence

Just admit it

You are bigots

How are people who aren't supporting England bigots?  No-one cares what Salmond said by the way and your constant attacks on other posters and all round superior attitude is tiresome, arrogant and ignorant.

Good neighbours by the way?  We aren't the ones going around calling people bigots!

Edited by Renegade

Scotland haven't had many reds in friendlies either. In the last 30 years I think the only one was 1995, John Spencer in Japan (2 yellows in the 1st half, game ended 0-0).

Prior to that it was Willie Johnston in Argentina 1977 (1-1) unless you class the British Championship as friendlies - Joe Jordan got one in a 2-0 defeat in Wales in 1981.

Good point, Yngwie. It seems true that frendlies tend not to see so many orderings-off. Indeed, Scotland have only ever had 3. (in frendlies)

I suppose nowadays, it's also 'easier' to get sent off with the 'double punishment' (as I see it), of a defender chasing back a striker and challenging him inside the penalty area. If the referee interprets it as a foul, he has to award a penalty - in the 'old rules' that would be a sufficient punishment, but now, as well as the penalty, he has to order the defender off.

Just admit it

You are bigots

And for the record I don't care half as much if England do well in the world cup as I do that ICT finish in the top six

And if you keep having a go at me , I will keep reminding you to be good neighbours till you shut up

Sorry Laurence but you are the one having a go. You are the one instigating that we should support England. As a Scot and supporter of Scotland why should I then support any other nationality? I wish England well but having watched their last two friendlies I'm not so sure they'll even get to last eight. Does that make me a bigot?

It's more bigot like to use any and every opportunity you can to try and put down those of us who are patriotic towards our own country whilst actually choosing to live in, and reap the benefits from, that same country.

Just admit it

You are bigots

Why are we discussing politics and not about all the quality players that are gonna be on show!!!!!

• Agree 1

Just admit it

You are bigots

Sorry Laurence but you are the one having a go. You are the one instigating that we should support England. As a Scot and supporter of Scotland why should I then support any other nationality? .

Well it didn't stop you changing your allegiance in season 94/95 did it Alex?

As far as I can see you try and come over pro Scottish but there is an extremely thin line between that and anti English

Dougal

In friendlies the ref's more likely to ask the coach to substitute the player....

Just admit it

You are bigots

Why are we discussing politics and not about all the quality players that are gonna be on show!!!!!

Because Larry is trolling again.

Just admit it

You are bigots

Wind your neck in mun.

Also for some reason I get the Hovis advert music in my head whenever I read a post from Laurence.

• Agree 2

Just admit it

You are bigots

Sorry Laurence but you are the one having a go. You are the one instigating that we should support England. As a Scot and supporter of Scotland why should I then support any other nationality? .

As far as I can see you try and come over pro Scottish but there is an extremely thin line between that and anti English

Dougal

What allegiance was that Dougal? If its the Inverness one you're referring to then I didn't change any allegiance. Yes I went to Thistle games in 70's but then, apart from the odd Falkirk game in late 90's, I didn't watch anyone until 02/03 season when I started to come to Longman. I wasn't involved in any of the goings on of 93/94 so couldn't have changed allegiance there.

Secondly I am far from anti English. Anti Westminster but not anti English. Many of my friends and colleagues over the years have been, and still are, English.

Just admit it

You are bigots

Dougal

Quite right, it's not as if anyone on here would hold an irrational hatred for any nationality, say for instance, the Irish. :whistle:

The BBC have trumped that today with a real scoop. Hodgson has praised the squad's positive attitude in the three friendlies against Peru, Ecuador and Honduras.

"We have been on the front foot in all of the games so far," said Hodgson.

"Maybe Italy will make it harder for us but we don't know what a back foot looks like."

Edited by TheMantis

Some people are pro England, some are anti which is their prerogative. England are building for the euros and this wc is probably a bit too soon for them. They may click & go on a run a la Italia90 but they have a horrible first game in a tricky group, I feel that Italy will grind out a result which will then make the Uruguay game a must win & I'm not sure they will win that one either. I think they will be doing very well to get out of their group.