Summer transfer targets

Doofer

Our squad is small, but it's fairly versatile.  There's good argument for a second experienced striker, but can we afford to have that and either them or Billy passing time sitting on the bench?  If we could, then I imagine we'd have brought someone in already.

What if Mckay gets injured?  What if we ever need to chase the game and get another man up-front?  What about having a two man attack Plan B?  Or are we just going to carry on playing one way regardless of whether it works or not?

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Yogi had one job this summer and that was to get cover for Billy.

Not trying to be argumentitive, but who said that was Yogis job for the summer? People on here, some fans perhaps but have the club, management or board ever come out and said this or any other objectives - if they havent then how can we speculate what Yogi was asked to do this summer?

I'm no Yogi fanboy, but I'm willing to give the guy a chance now heading into a new season with the time spent on how he wants us to play and the plaers he wants to use. As I posted before transfer window isnt closing yet so why panic.  

Edited by bdu98196

As has already been said, if we sign another striker, do we then go to play with 2 strikers. If so much easier to sign someone. If the striker is signed as cover for Billy, much more difficult to sign someone when all you can offer is to sit on the bench most weeks.

If Fleetwood do sign Billy, then they will have to pay a fee which, hopefully, we can then spend on a new striker. Don't forget, we may already have the answer within the club (genuinely do not know if one of the existing players could take this role on) but Billy didn't exactly set the heather on fire in his first season and took time to find his feet. maybe that will be the case now for someone within the club if Billy does go.

Our squad is small, but it's fairly versatile.  There's good argument for a second experienced striker, but can we afford to have that and either them or Billy passing time sitting on the bench?  If we could, then I imagine we'd have brought someone in already.

What if Mckay gets injured?  What if we ever need to chase the game and get another man up-front?  What about having a two man attack Plan B?  Or are we just going to carry on playing one way regardless of whether it works or not?

Of the existing first team squad; Christie, Vincent, Doran, Foran (hopefully not out much longer) & Watkins are all...IMO...capable of doing a job at the front should the need arise.  With the possible exception of Vincent, I think the rest have all been deployed as a forward at some point under both Butcher and Yogi.  You also have young Fergie chapping at the door.

I'm not saying it's the ideal scenario, but if people are talking about Mckay being worth 6 or 7 figures, then you have to appreciate that finding experienced/comparable cover would cost something up to that amount....and then there's the wage to pay on top of that.  We quite simply don't have that kind of cash laying around.

If people aren't content with the cover we have at present, then I don't see them being content with anything additional we could afford to bring in.

Of the existing first team squad; Christie, Vincent, Doran, Foran (hopefully not out much longer) & Watkins are all...IMO...capable of doing a job at the front should the need arise.  With the possible exception of Vincent, I think the rest have all been deployed as a forward at some point under both Butcher and Yogi.  You also have young Fergie chapping at the door.

I'm not saying it's the ideal scenario, but if people are talking about Mckay being worth 6 or 7 figures, then you have to appreciate that finding experienced/comparable cover would cost something up to that amount....and then there's the wage to pay on top of that.  We quite simply don't have that kind of cash laying around.

If people aren't content with the cover we have at present, then I don't see them being content with anything additional we could afford to bring in.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think any of those are out and out strikers and likes of Christies still inexperienced , very dangerous going into the season with just one registered striker, if Billy gets injured we have big problems.

Don't know why folk think a big striker will arrive. Doesn't really fit in with Yogi's preferred ball on the deck, through the middle style of play.

I think he eventually will sign striking reinforcements but it will likely be a player who can hold the ball up, good technical ability and be able to link play with others

You just described Ryan Christie.

Unknowingly I had just described Ryan, I do think however that this would be the sort of striking addition that Yogi would want to make to the squad.

I don't think it augers well for the season if we are almost entirely reliant on having Billy fit, in form, and most importantly still at the club!

I can see how some might think that having the likes of Vincent, Doran, Watkins and Foran in the squad may cancel out the need for another striker but for me not one of them would be a viable option to cover any long term injury or spell where Billy wasn't producing up front.

I don't buy this view that a manager doesn't want buy a player just to sit on the bench. Countless thousands of players are signed with the proviso that they are being signed on the intention of being cover or at the very least taking on the challenge of displacing the favoured striker. Most SPL clubs have 4 strikers in the first team and there's no way all of them will start of the time so they must be willing to take their share on bench time. We have one senior striker at the club going into the new season which worries me, im quite amazed that that this hasn't been addressed yet (I still have a sense/hope/dream that Yogi will sign a couple of strikers to offer cover) unless Yogi's sole intention for this club is to play for 0-0 draws.

• Agree 1

Foran could maybe do it, but he seems awfully injury-prone these days and Ferguson's too young to take over the mantle just yet, despite his potential.  Never been impressed with Watkins up there at all and I think Doran and Vincent would be even worse.  What happens if we're chasing a game though and need forward on though?  I can't say I'd fancy any of them to be much good up there.  We need cover and an alternative and we need it now IMO.

Edited by Renegade

Paddy McCourt is awful.

Signing guys who can play in a load of different positions like Horner does make sense, it's good to have players like that when our squad is small.  Proctor used to be good for that role.

Edited by ictchris
  • Agree 1

McCourt has been one of the most skillful players in the last 10 years. I'd love to see him here.  Look at how well McGinn's doing at Aberdeen, yet he's not a patch on McCourt.  Better engine but McCourt's a real game-changer.  Not that I think he will come but a terrific player nevertheless.

Not overly excited by our signing of Horner. However, we've got a reputation for re-igniting players' careers. He'll definitely have something to prove - in that he's better than the level he's recently been playing at.

It's always handy to have a utility player, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement until he's had some game time.

But I can't help thinking that he's a Hughes favourite and he wouldn't have been coming to us if they hadn't crossed paths before.

@carlfinnigan: I can confirm 100% I wont be returning to Chippa United. Want to Look at getting playing back in UK now! Good luck 4 the season #FreeAgent

Might be worth a short term deal if no other second striker is viable.

Edited by ICTRoughi

@carlfinnigan: I can confirm 100% I wont be returning to Chippa United. Want to Look at getting playing back in UK now! Good luck 4 the season #FreeAgent

HA like that worked out so well all those years ago, he must be like 30-something now pointless signing that would be!!!

HA like that worked out so well all those years ago, he must be like 30-something now pointless signing that would be!!!

Hes only 27. Is this hole going next to the Danny Webber one?  :fishing:

Finnigan was decent at Falkirk, and I stress decent. He left them in 2011 and since has a pretty poor record other than a prolific short loan spell at Dundee, but was honking when they signed him permanent. He was also poor at St Johnstone hence why he was loaned to Dundee. I don't know how he did at Chippa but it can't be a very good level considering Jaakola is getting games out there