Summer transfer targets

Doofer

JOHN Hughes remains hopeful of adding to his squad before the closure of the transfer window.

One of the strikers that was previously on trial with the club has departed and the Caley Thistle manager is still in the market for a first-team player.

The remaining trialist notched a hat-trick in a midweek bounce game with Inverness City, in which Danny Devine also made his comeback from injury.

Free agents can still be signed outside the transfer window but any players currently with a club must be signed before 11pm on 1st September.

Hughes said he may cut his losses on the remaining trialist at the club in order to look at a couple of others.

"The problem we have is that I still have one or two trialists lined up and I think it’s worth the gamble with losing this one to have a look at one or two next week," he said. "Hopefully before the window closes we’ll have another one added to the squad."

A name was put to chairman Kenny Cameron by Hughes last week of a striker he would like to bring in, with the Inverness manager admitting he would have to "twist the chairman’s arm" about it.

"Ever since that, the chairman’s been hiding from me and never mentioned him again," he said. "I think he’s probably seen his CV and the clubs he’s been at and worked out the figures it might cost him.

"I just want to bring good players to the club but I’ve never been a chequebook manager. I would never hold the club to ransom."

Linky is up now:

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Hughes-keen-for-new-Caley-Thistle-striker-28082014.htm

I was thinking possibly Nimely? his CV has Man City, Crystal Palace etc on it, Gow has East Bengal and some lower league team from Glasgow on it :wink:

I wouldn't have thought Gow was in a position these days to command a large wage....IMO given injury history and age

Could well be a name that none of us are aware of yet

A wee twist of the arm to meet the demands of Gow perhaps?

I would hope not. In his position, he needs us more than we need him!

He's battling-back to overcome a serious injury, which at his career stage, (and football age) may see him struggle to recapture his form of old. And, To be honest, his best days are already behind him. Any player who goes off to play in the backwater of India (in football terms) in the 'prime' of their career surely hasn't lived up to their early career potential.

If a player like that is holding-us-to-ransom, I'd say 'no thanks'!

Edit: Libero 'beat' me by a minute in posting - what I've said mirrors his views entirely regarding Gow!

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

Think it's the Nigerian lad who has been let go. It was the guy Marlon who scored the hat trick in the bounce game.

I'm not overly convinced the trialist is Marlon Jackson.

How not, is it cause i found him and you didn't  :cheer01:

Not at all I really don't care if you found him before I did. I am just not overly convinced that the picture in the courier is of Marlon Jackson.

Think it's the Nigerian lad who has been let go. It was the guy Marlon who scored the hat trick in the bounce game.

I'm not overly convinced the trialist is Marlon Jackson.

It may not be Marlon Jackson but it is a guy called Marlon. Thats what he was referred to as by his team mates on Tuesday...

Foran hopefully coming back within the next month or so will be like a new signing.

On saying that it would be slightly disappointing if no one else brought in

I sincerly hope hes not comin straight into starting 11 though,

Whos place would be worth sacrificing for Richie

Great to have him on bench as an impact sub when required tho

It is 100% Marlon Jackson. I don't think we will sign him though.

If you think he is a baller i hope we don't sign him!!!!

Just remember Iain I've seen you play football...

Aye and i've seen you play aswell.

Ive seen you both play and neither one of you have anything on the mighty Doug

...anyhoo back on topic. I would ideally like us to bring in at least one more striker, there are still a few free agents out there so even if we have nobody in by tonight we will still have a few options. Lots of players will get released by clubs today ahead of looking for another move so we may even get a few fresh opportunities.

McFadden says he is looking for a new club if some one asks...................why don't we ask him if he would be prepared to fit into our wage structure and play on a performance related basis like the rest of the squad?

I wouldn't mind him for his experience but if we can't afford Alan Gow then am sure it will be the same case with McFadden.

We can't afford Gow? Apologies if I've fallen behind in our search for a striker.

I thought I read something along those lines that it would come down to finances in the newspaper but I could be wrong. I think Celtic not making the champions league group stages has put a dampener on things hence why he haven't signed one up yet but hopefully with this international break it should give Yogi enough time to weigh up the options.

Edited by ICTRoughi

We're actually in a fairly fortunate position as we have a squad that is performing and, whilst small in numbers, has enough depth to offer cover and options all over the park.  i.e. There's no dead wood.  Can you say that about any other Premiership Club?

Yogi has said we will only bring in player/s that are the right fit for the team/club....and he's still looking.

Adding another forward would be nice, but I'm of the firm opinion that we have players capable of stepping in there should the need arise...certainly short term...so there's no immediate panic to bring someone in.  On that basis, Yogi is right to be taking his time to make sure he gets the best he can get.

Players like Gow and McFadden may still have something to offer in the game, but with them being at the tail end of their playing careers, they wouldn't exactly represent an investment in taking the club forward for the future.  That's not to say these types of players can't/shouldn't be considered, but I personally would rather see us spending wages and investing time training players who we might have a chance of getting a return on further down the line....either in length of service or from selling on.

• Agree 5