Summer transfer targets

Doofer

I felt Ferguson did well in the preseason games I've seen on our Utube channel. Could be a hard working star in the team's future.

When Canada didn't qualify for the world cup naturally there was a loss of interest her in Vancouver.

A recent article in the local paper by a local pundit expresses the view that Canadian soccer has quite a long way to go to catch up to the rest of the world as far as training of youngers at a very early age is concerned, general training facilities and preparation.

According to him there is simply no depth at the moment. Comment was made that the Germans are light years ahead of us and most other teams, in terms of their preparation for this world cup, when every single possibility was apparently considered to ensure they were totally prepared for any eventuality occurring that might either undermine their chances-- or enhance them.

Guest Shaun

Taking from The Sun's match report from last nights 2-0 win at Brora with headline: GOING IT A LOAN.

"John Hughes is ready to take a loan of stars to bolster Caley.

Boss Yogi saw goals from James Vincent and Marley Watkins see off Highland League champs Brora last night. But he admits hard-up Caley can't afford to dabble in the transfer market.

He said "I think there is money for one new player but that could turn into two loan players."

I think John is doing right thing and tbh all he needs is a Striker but it is also good to bolster squad a wee bit so a couple of loans isn't going to overload squad imo.

Also, he says that a Right and Centre back was needed but he has tried a couple of players in these roles so, is that a must? I wasn't at these games so can't comment but going by reports on this forum, I would be inclined to say no?

I'm in the 'just a striker' camp as well. The rest of the squad looks fine. Might be a little stretched this weekend with a double-header against Rothes and Raith Rovers but big Duncan Shearer can pull his boots on in Rothes if we're stuck!

I agree with bringing in a right back and centre back. From what I've seen we do have players that are more than capable of playing out of position to cover but it would be a good idea to bring additional players in these positions IMO. Nothing wrong with a bit of competition for places either.

Just noticed in the Highland news that we have Alan Gow (ex Falkirk) training with us but says the chances of us signing him are slim. I reckon he would be a good signing for us probably back in 06' but I haven't heard of him much these days.

Don't think we should be too quick to dismiss Gow.  He certainly had talent.  But who knows what he's like now.  Training/a trial seems a reasonable way forward.  If he's not good enough or wants too much, then fine.  But let's wait and see first.

I may well be wrong but I dont think there are International U-20 tournaments. I think its U-21, U-19 and U-17. Thats getting away from topic though.

You're both wrong. It was the U18 Canada Development Squad and they played in the COTIF U20 Tournament.

Just noticed in the Highland news that we have Alan Gow (ex Falkirk) training with us but says the chances of us signing him are slim. I reckon he would be a good signing for us probably back in 06' but I haven't heard of him much these days.

He is with Exeter City but he was with Bristol City on loan but sadly he got a season ending ankle injury, and at the start of the month rejected a long term deal with Bristol City 

Gow was a great player for Falkirk. Career completely dwindled after his vanishing act at Rangers. Would be worth taking him on though as cover.

Gow was a great player for Falkirk. Career completely dwindled after his vanishing act at Rangers. Would be worth taking him on though as cover.

What we need is someone to put serious pressure on Billy but unfortunately experience doesn't come cheap.

He's only training with us - I doubt he's a signing target. Well, I hope not!

Another one in the mould of Garry O' Connor or Derek Riordan - lauded as wonder kids due to a stellar youth career. Dow's been a journeyman for years now.

He probably knows Hughes through a Falkirk connection and he's made training 'facilities' available.

He's been a bit-part player in League Two in England - a league that Sam Winnall found 'easy' to score in! I'd rather him back - who knows, I was stunned when Tansey returned!

A Sam Winnall-Billy McKay partnership could be lethal.  

As much as I thought Butcher's reign here was utterly outstanding, I feel he didn't give that player enough opportunity to show his worth.

He's only training with us - I doubt he's a signing target. Well, I hope not!

Another one in the mould of Garry O' Connor or Derek Riordan - lauded as wonder kids due to a stellar youth career. Dow's been a journeyman for years now.

He probably knows Hughes through a Falkirk connection and he's made training 'facilities' available.

He's been a bit-part player in League Two in England - a league that Sam Winnall found 'easy' to score in! I'd rather him back - who knows, I was stunned when Tansey returned!

A Sam Winnall-Billy McKay partnership could be lethal.  

As much as I thought Butcher's reign here was utterly outstanding, I feel he didn't give that player enough opportunity to show his worth.

I dont think Gow was ever lauded as a wonder kid and yes he probably knows Hughes because Hughes signed him at Falkirk. As for training facilities dont you think that maybe he'd find better closer to home than suffer the expense of coming to Inverness?