Summer transfer targets

Doofer

He's a tall striker could have just set up a small striker up.

Tall striker?  He's 5"9! 1eye.gif

Taller than billy

Aye two inches.  Still not exactly tall! 1eye.gif

Edited by Renegade

He's a tall striker could have just set up a small striker up.

Tall striker?  He's 5"9! 1eye.gif

Taller than billy

Aye two inches.  Still not exactly tall! 1eye.gif

Two inches could be all the difference in hitting the ball with the top of your head and getting a clean hit on the ball and scoring 

An unsellfish striker to do the work for billy? Tell you what bring back Tade... :crazy:

Are we all forgetting that Foran can play up front too? Id suggest that would be his role this season with the likes of Tansey, Draper, Polworth, Williams, Vincent, and potentially Horner, all able to play centre midfeild all be it different roles in there.

Foran, Billy, Ferguson as our strikers with Christie able to play just off the front in the 10 role.  Thats 4 decent options, is a fifth being greedy?

This obbsession with a tall strikers odd to say the least. A striker doesnt need to be tall to hold the ball up. billy does it brilliantly when its at his feet, and if we play the ball on the deck (which we should be doing) theres no need for a 6 foot something striker.

Id much rather have a small striker that can play than a tall striker whos only able to head and chest the ball.

Edited by lukemackay

Ferguson has potential but is still rather young, while Foran seems awfully injury-prone these days (will his role from now on be that of a "super sub?) and I don't particularly like Watkins up there. One more definitely needed IMO.

As long as a player can make, assist and score goals I would be very happy to see him with us regardless of height, weight or anything else.

Do we have that though up top if Mckay gets injured though?  I'm not so sure.

Ferguson has potential but is still rather young, while Foran seems awfully injury-prone these days (will his role from now on be that of a "super sub?) and I don't particularly like Watkins up there. One more definitely needed IMO.

That's my thoughts aswell. Great potential but far too early for him another loan spell wouldn't go a miss either. 

Watkins isn't a striker he's an out an out winger you can tell that with the way he plays the ball. Foran an't play upfront he struggled last season and with injury's this season would be even harder. Ferguson i feel deserves the chance he has earned it over pre-season and how well he has done.

• Agree 1

Danny Webber?

attachicon.gifmuggy.png

Got a problem with him

No, I have no problem with him.

Fact i he has the experience which could help our players like ferguson and wilson in the long term

Pretty sure Duncan Shearer is doing a good enough job anyways so no point really. Should really go for someone that has potential rather than a has-been.

But it's someone on the pitch that could help show them how do it in a real match

Mate, your havin a 'mare here leave it lol

:-D

Danny Webber?

attachicon.gifmuggy.png

Got a problem with him

No, I have no problem with him. Fact i he has the experience which could help our players like ferguson and wilson in the long term

Pretty sure Duncan Shearer is doing a good enough job anyways so no point really. Should really go for someone that has potential rather than a has-been. But it's someone on the pitch that could help show them how do it in a real match

Mate, your havin a 'mare here leave it lol

:-D

Nice big gaping hole that youve dug here Dawson. Danny Webber? Big imposing striker? Really.  :lol:

I would have been inclined to agree about Foran but there really is no point in talking about him while he is injured. We dont know when he's going to be back and when he does come back who knows how long it will take him to get back to match sharpness.

The reality of it is we need another striker and it needs to be someone with an element of physical presence. We were extremely lucky last season that Billy never picked up any injuries as he was our main source of goals. He was ran ragged and I would say the pressure on him was proving too much at times last season. If things arent going our way though in a game we tend to get desperate but thumping long balls is no use when your main striker is 5 ft 7. I know Callum Ferguson is a promising prospect but he isnt much different in terms of style. We need someone up there with a bit more strength and that means bringing someone in, it needs to be a priority.

In terms of goals the rest of the team could step up a bit more. Take away Billys goals from last season and no one else hits double figures. Doran being closest with 8. Players like Vincent and Watkins could certainly improve. They only managed 1 a piece.

One of the main issues I have surrounding Billy Mckay is gaining complacency.

If he has a run of bad games and nobody is hot on his tail for his spot in the team then he will know he is in the team regardless. As we seen he went a massive run of games without scoring (only four goals in 2014 of last season, two of them against C*unty) but don't get me wrong I don't think that was due to complacency more to the fact he was burnt out because he's the only option Yogi had available to him.

As they say in football competition is healthy and I'm sure Yogi will get a player in, in due course. I hope he goes for a youth player that needs first team experience like he said the other day in the local press.

• Agree 1

Interesting to read about Mckay's complacency.  In 2012-13, Mckay only became a great goalscorer AFTER he lost his place in the team and was replaced by Foran.  When he got back in the team, he became a great player.  I've always believed that no player should be guaranteed a starting position and the lack of a replacement could well see a cosiness and a lack of hunger creep in that won't do him or us any good at all.

Edited by Renegade

I hope Yogi sees the situation through very accurately-focussing glasses.

The team needs a strong, determined front runner both as a foil to Billy and to take some of the

pressure off him so that he, Billy, remains sharp and hungry for goals.

If Billy feels complacent,he(Yogi)needs a deputy dawg to scare him out of it and if he is left to

plough a lone furrow how long will it be before he again runs himself ragged?

Billy seems to me from afar to be an opportunist rather than a hard-working forager?

Thoughts?

Not long until the season starts so whoever it is should really come in with some sort of pre-season training behind him. Could possibly be a player on loan if at all. Would like to see that position filled also as it does need strengthening especially since Toby was allowed to leave as he did not fit the bill.

Guest Shaun

It is a week until start of season and still nothing, not even a Striker in on trial which must mean a loan signing or 2 plus I am certain that Horner will be signed soon.

If we can add Horner and at least 2 strikers then we are set for season.

It is a week until start of season and still nothing, not even a Striker in on trial which must mean a loan signing or 2 plus I am certain that Horner will be signed soon.

If we can add Horner and at least 2 strikers then we are set for season.

2 or more strikers is not needed nor will it happen. One is enough IMO. Edited by Dale94

Interesting to read about Mckay's complacency.  In 2012-13, Mckay only became a great goalscorer AFTER he lost his place in the team and was replaced by Foran.  When he got back in the team, he became a great player.  I've always believed that no player should be guaranteed a starting position and the lack of a replacement could well see a cosiness and a lack of hunger creep in that won't do him or us any good at all.

Having had a decent taste of International football I'd hope Billy will be motivated to expand on that and so not become complacent. It's what he does for us that'll get him the starts for NI over the likes of McGennis and Lafferty