Average attendance

Sneckboy

They also had more home games against Celtic and Aberdeen to boost the average.

Actually, they only had Aberdeen at home once, whereas we had the boost of two visits from the dons fans.

They also had more home games against Celtic and Aberdeen to boost the average.

Actually, they only had Aberdeen at home once, whereas we had the boost of two visits from the dons fans.

They do have Dundee United as well and Hearts took a massive crowd there on the opening week(s) of the season

FFS people....who gives a flying F about what crowds other clubs are getting.

It's our crowds that are important (home fans especially).  If we took all the time and effort people waste on pointless cock measuring competitions between us and other clubs and put it into encouraging more people along to home games then we might just stand a chance of actually doing something constructive and worthwhile.

• Agree 7

Maybe the club should be asking what encourages people to buy and when they are given the reasons they could build something which satisfies the buyer. I'm sure many of you can come up with other (better) pointers but here goes for a start:

The product - do you need it? does it satisfy a need? is it of good quality?

The price - is it within your budget? is the product worth the price?

The Supplier - can they provide the product at the price you want to pay? are they solvent so that they can meet their obligations? do they appreciate your business?

It would be interesting to hear what others feel.

Edited by caleyboy

I popped in to have a chat with the chairman regarding a couple of things and it was good of him to spare a few minutes of his time at such short notice.

He did say the door is always open if anyone does want to pop in, however going by some of the comments on this site, I think he is a little more eager to meet up with some posters than others :wink:

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 1

• 11 months later...

Our official average attendance for the season is 3,733. Up from last seasons 3,558.

On paper, it's a small increase, but 175 extra bums-on-seats per game extends to a remarkable amount of hard cash over a season.

Match ticket, maybe a look in the club shop, a pie & bovril, programme, raffle, drink at the bar etc.....say a conservative £25 spend each = 25 x 175 = £4,375 extra revenue.

Over our 19 home league games, that equates to a non-unsubstantial £83,000+ !!!  Not far short of what we get for qualifying for the Europa League.

It's an example that every extra punter counts. If we can retain some of the cup-final fans and get back to averaging over 4,000 a game, the club would greatly benefit.

• Agree 7

Our official average attendance for the season is 3,733. Up from last seasons 3,558.

On paper, it's a small increase, but 175 extra bums-on-seats per game extends to a remarkable amount of hard cash over a season.

Match ticket, maybe a look in the club shop, a pie & bovril, programme, raffle, drink at the bar etc.....say a conservative £25 spend each = 25 x 175 = £4,375 extra revenue.

Over our 19 home league games, that equates to a non-unsubstantial £83,000+ !!!  Not far short of what we get for qualifying for the Europa League.

It's an example that every extra punter counts. If we can retain some of the cup-final fans and get back to averaging over 4,000 a game, the club would greatly benefit.

....and this is our equal best "league" position in terms of home attendances (9th), so there are others in worse shape than us in terms of attendances.

A word of caution about the numbers - last season (iirc), we only played Celtic once at home (chaos over fixtures after the split) - that probably accounts for most of the apparent increase this year(?)

On an optimistic note, St J got a "bounce" of about an extra thousand punters on average through the gate this year - probably on the basis of their winning the cup last year......

Should we be fortunate enough to make a good start to another season like  we did this one then I am confident that crowds will continue to improve at Tulloch Stadium.

Success breeds success and I'm sure the club will be rewarded accordingly, we are already renowned for playing entertaining football, our support, small it may be, is being hailed as loud but good natured and fun, success is increasing all the time so the ingredients are there to build up a really good following.

Come on the Highlands come to our matches ,help build up our atmosphere and enjoy our experience.

A word of caution about the numbers - last season (iirc), we only played Celtic once at home (chaos over fixtures after the split) - that probably accounts for most of the apparent increase this year(?)

On the other side of the coin, the attendances at Caley Thistle's two home Highland derbies were pretty poor this season - 4021 on Sat Jan 31st and an alarming 3741 on Sun October 5th. The corresponding figure for the New Year's Day derby in Dingwall was 4887.

3741 and 4021 would have been disappointing in Third Division days and that must have pulled this season's average down.

Another factor may be the randomness of imposed "non-standard" KO times which may create a variable downward effect depending on who the opposition are.

So if you add in these unhelpful factors, it's especially good to see any increase in the average - especially against one particular negative factor which I believe has been quite significant this season.

Inverness's catastrophic traffic flow.

Sure, there has been plenty of adverse comment for some time about the Kessock Bridge roundabout and yes, it remains a total mess. But there is a lot more than that.

As the Flood Alleviation Scheme strengthens its claim to become the slowest building of a wall in the history of the world, access to the Caledonian Stadium is among the many casualties. For a start there's the closure of Bank Street (I believe it is due to reopen today?) which is a main thoroughfare between North and South Inverness. This forces more traffic along Kenneth Street, as does the closure of Huntly Street and of course the more recent bottleneck in Academy Street has made things worse still.

So.....

Trying to approach the Stadium along the A9/ Longman Rd lands you with the mayhem of the roundabout.

Trying to approach the Stadium from the Harbour produces all the difficulties originating in Bank St/ Academy St...... but that's by no means all. Because even if you do get to the Harbour the flood scheme has also created the need for more traffic lights there.

And if you do manage to get to the game, it will take an eternity to get home again for the very same reasons.

You really do have to wonder how much cash businesses are losing as a result of the extreme ineptitude of Inverness's traffic flow arrangements. These include ICT where I have this fear that a number of people may simply not be going to games because of the unacceptable time it takes to get to and from the stadium.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

On the other side of the coin, the attendances at Caley Thistle's two home Highland derbies were pretty poor this season - 4021 on Sat Jan 31st and an alarming 3741 on Sun October 5th. The corresponding figure for the New Year's Day derby in Dingwall was 4887.

3741 and 4021 would have been disappointing in Third Division days and that must have pulled this season's average down.

Another factor may be the randomness of imposed "non-standard" KO times which may create a variable downward effect depending on who the opposition are.

So if you add in these unhelpful factors, it's especially good to see any increase in the average - especially against one particular negative factor which I believe has been quite significant this season.

Sure, there has been plenty of adverse comment for some time about the Kessock Bridge roundabout and yes, it remains a total mess. But there is a lot more than that.

As the Flood Alleviation Scheme strengthens its claim to become the slowest building of a wall in the history of the world, access to the Caledonian Stadium is among the many casualties. For a start there's the closure of Bank Street (I believe it is due to reopen today?) which is a main thoroughfare between North and South Inverness. This forces more traffic along Kenneth Street, as does the closure of Huntly Street and of course the more recent bottleneck in Academy Street has made things worse still.

So.....

Trying to approach the Stadium along the A9/ Longman Rd lands you with the mayhem of the roundabout.

Trying to approach the Stadium from the Harbour produces all the difficulties originating in Bank St/ Academy St...... but that's by no means all. Because even if you do get to the Harbour the flood scheme has also created the need for more traffic lights there.

And if you do manage to get to the game, it will take an eternity to get home again for the very same reasons.

You really do have to wonder how much cash businesses are losing as a result of the extreme ineptitude of Inverness's traffic flow arrangements. These include ICT where I have this fear that a number of people may simply not be going to games because of the unacceptable time it takes to get to and from the stadium.

I blame those pesky querulous Nats.......

So.....

Agreed. The other major factor to take into account are the number of midweek games. This year was not too bad for rearrangements, but the Dundee United games at the end of the season gives a hint as to the impact of a midweek game against the same opposition: nearly 1000 punters! OK, so there is always a draw for the last home game of the season, but weighed against that you have the importance of the midweek game.

So.....

I blame those pesky querulous Nats.......

Trunk road transport is a devolved power come to think of it!

Agreed. The other major factor to take into account are the number of midweek games. This year was not too bad for rearrangements, but the Dundee United games at the end of the season gives a hint as to the impact of a midweek game against the same opposition: nearly 1000 punters! OK, so there is always a draw for the last home game of the season, but weighed against that you have the importance of the midweek game.

Agreed also. 3pm Saturday kick offs and an accessible stadium are definitely among the factors which tend to enhance attendances although I'm often disappointed at the limited extent to which a successful team makes a difference here.

There was something of an irony in SPFL Chairman Ralph Topping's rant last week about how little they are getting from the BBC for highlights. Apart from the fact that, if they SPFL didn't like the deal they simply shouldn't have made it, if the cash they are getting is as poor as they say, why on earth do they roll over so easily and agree to silly kick off times at inaccesible venues to suit the broadcasters?

Agreed also. 3pm Saturday kick offs and an accessible stadium are definitely among the factors which tend to enhance attendances although I'm often disappointed at the limited extent to which a successful team makes a difference here.

There was something of an irony in SPFL Chairman Ralph Topping's rant last week about how little they are getting from the BBC for highlights. Apart from the fact that, if they SPFL didn't like the deal they simply shouldn't have made it, if the cash they are getting is as poor as they say, why on earth do they roll over so easily and agree to silly kick off times at inaccesible venues to suit the broadcasters?

Because they are not rolling over to suit the BBC but for SKY and BT who pay fifteen times as much. For what it's worth, in my view, SKY and BT are paying the, albeit comparatively modest, market rate which is their self funded commercial prerogative whereas there is a strong moral argument that, the publicly funded public broadcaster in what, for the time being at least,remains the United Kingdom should be treating the national sport in all nations of their broadcasting monopoly much more fairly.

• 2 years later...
On 12/05/2014 at 6:59 PM, RiG said:

Sadly this season is out first season where the average attendance in the SPL / Premier League fell below 4,000. I think my numbers for two seasons may be slightly out from the ones that Hibee Jibee has on P & B but there isn't too much difference: 

EDIT: Couple of errors with the positions which I've amended.

post-19-0-80464400-1399920699_thumb.png

Found a bit of time to update this for the last season or two. Quite a worrying drop off in average crowd this season compared to the last time we were in this division. There's obviously a fair bit of the season to go but a drop of 1,000 from our average crowd compared to the last time we were relegated might set some alarm bells ringing financially. Note this is just for league games. Switched the colour schemes around - yellow is Division 3/SFL2, green is Division 2/SFL1, red is Division 1/Championship and blue is SPL/Premiership.

Average Attendance.png

• Agree 1

What surprises me most about these figures is the increase in attendances last season in the face of a most dreadful set of performances. There was the return of Rangers to the Premiership but how big a factor was that? The Annual Report states that this increase also took place in the face of a 12% drop in season ticket revenue - ie the hard core. As a result there must have been considerably more walk-ups although it's difficult to know how many of these were home fans and how many were away - including Rangers.

I see that average attendance for this season so far, although well down on 2009-10 in the second tier, is similar to D1 in the Pele era when, it has to be conceded, the fan base fuelled by SPL presence had not yet been built up. The obvious question is where have the fans gone? Were some more disillusioned by last season than by 2008-09? To what extent did the slow start to this season - eg the 0-0 v QoS in particular - act as a deterrent? Or has the club, due to abysmal PR over a period of years, lost some of its "presence" in Inverness and hence some of the loyalty of some of its more labile fans? What effect has winning the Scottish Cup in 2015 had on the ability to attract and retain fans? (Rhetorical Question alert!!! :ohmy:) Or, 8 years on from the last relegation, have football watching habits changed sufficiently so that going to see the Championship when you have been used to the Premiership seem that much less attractive now than it did then? Or are a lot of people now going instead to watch Ross County in the Premiership - which they were not in back in 2009?

The board has predicted a loss for the current of £100,000 less than last season's £422,000. I would be interested to know what average attendance figure this was based on?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

What surprises me most about these figures is the increase in attendances last season in the face of a most dreadful set of performances. There was the return of Rangers to the Premiership but how big a factor was that? The Annual Report states that this increase also took place in the face of a 12% drop in season ticket revenue - ie the hard core. As a result there must have been considerably more walk-ups although it's difficult to know how many of these were home fans and how many were away - including Rangers.

I see that average attendance for this season so far, although well down on 2009-10 in the second tier, is similar to D1 in the Pele era when, it has to be conceded, the fan base fuelled by SPL presence had not yet been built up. The obvious question is where have the fans gone? Were some more disillusioned by last season than by 2008-09? To what extent did the slow start to this season - eg the 0-0 v QoS in particular - act as a deterrent? Or has the club, due to abysmal PR over a period of years, lost some of its "presence" in Inverness and hence some of the loyalty of some of its more labile fans? What effect has winning the Scottish Cup in 2015 had on the ability to attract and retain fans? (Rhetorical Question alert!!! :ohmy:) Or, 8 years on from the last relegation, have football watching habits changed sufficiently so that going to see the Championship when you have been used to the Premiership seem that much less attractive now than it did then? Or are a lot of people now going instead to watch Ross County in the Premiership - which they were not in back in 2009?

The board has predicted a loss for the current of £100,000 less than last season's £422,000. I would be interested to know what average attendance figure this was based on?

can't remember how much we had to pay last time but I don't think it was £20 (and the pies were better and cheaper)

• Agree 1