Realistic expectations for next season?

SMEE

Whats your expectations for next season?

Reason i ask......this season.....ICT finnished 5th in the leage and narrowly missed out on winning a national trophy.....so i would say that makes it ICT's best season ever.

BUT......does that stop people whinging? no, it doesnt. A lot of people forgetting that we are in fact a small fish in a small pond these days.....just becasue we had two seasons where we punched well above our weight.

For me....a good season is managing to stay in the SPL. A very good season would be finnishing just outside the top 6. an Excellent season would be making the top 6 and throwing in a cup final too is just a massive bonus.

So as far as next season goes, a finish anywhere from 7th - 10th would be a good season and i would be happy with that. Anything better than that is a hugely sucsessful season

• Agree 1

With the players we have (as long as the vast majority stay), we should be a top six side next season as well.  St Johnstone, Motherwell etc. aren't exactly loaded either and they seem to manage it.  Saying "we should really just be happy to stay up" etc., is unambitious and selling ourselves short.  

It was good to hear the chairman's comments after the game on Sunday which were that should be looking to push on, aim high and better ourselves yet again.  That's the attitude we should be taking.  We should be looking to go up another level again and this "we should just be happy we're in the Premiership" attitude can be consigned to the dustbin.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Top 6. We should have an advantage over just about every other team at the beginning of the season because we have a settled squad - get off to another flyer and we could even do better than this year...............much will depend on the manager!

With the players we have (as long as the vast majority stay), we should be a top six side next season as well.  St Johnstone, Motherwell etc. aren't exactly loaded either and they seem to manage it.  Saying "we should really just be happy to stay up" etc., is unambitious and selling ourselves short.

It was good to hear the chairman's comments after the game on Sunday which were that should be looking to push on, aim high and better ourselves yet again.  That's the attitude we should be taking.  We should be looking to go up another level again and this "we should just be happy we're in the Premiership" attitude can be consigned to the dustbin.

Better being a realist...than a pie in the sky thinker, which only leads to disappointment. Probably like all those on here who were talking about ICT winning the league after the first quarter of the season. I stated they were kidding themsellves and that celtic would end up walking the league....which they did.

As the thread is headed expectations rather than wishes, I expect us to finish between 8th and 10th and would be surprised to progress beyond the quarter finals of either of the cups.

I also expect quite a lot of aimless square passing and attempted ball retention.

Better being a realist...than a pie in the sky thinker, which only leads to disappointment. Probably like all those on here who were talking about ICT winning the league after the first quarter of the season. I stated they were kidding themsellves and that celtic would end up walking the league....which they did.

I am a realist.  With the players we have, we should be a top six side.  No question about it.

Expectation? Has to be top 6 for the 3rd season in a row, anything else is accepting mediocrity. A decent cup run would be good too but thats down to the luck of the draw really. 

The reason people were moaning wasn't that we finished high but well...is it not obvious what happened? Realistically, this settled team is easily top six. However, I expect to be below that as I have no confidence in the manager. It will certainly be interesting.

We can only do so well.

If we start leading the table for any length of time, or even second, we'll soon be waving bye bye to yet another manager poached by a "bigger" club.

Hanging in the lower reaches of the table will at least mean we'll get to keep our manager, but by then, will we want him?

Mid-table mediocrity is probably a happy medium.

However, a stealthy way to succeed, i.e. to achieve something without drawing too much attention from bigger manager-poaching clubs, is to win a cup. Yes, that's what we must expect to do!

I don't get why people point to us being a small club with limited finances and say that therefore it is unrealistic to have an expectation of finishing in the top six next season.  Yes we are a small club with limited resources and it is unrealistic to expect that we should be top six every season, but we are talking about next season.

This season we finished 5th with our highest top 6 points total.  All the first team squad are signed up till the end of next season and this continuity should give us a realistic expectation that that we will do even better next year.  Not to match this year's points total would represent relative failure unless things are hijacked by other clubs suddenly getting resource to buy success.  Celtic will win, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd will be strong and I would expect them to be top 3.  Motherwell have done very well to finish 2nd again this year but I think it should be between us and them for 4th.  That is a reasonable expectation.

I hope we might be able to get top 3 but I predict we will be 6th or 7th.