Realistic expectations for next season?

SMEE

I entirely consider our current squad top 6 material. Look at the talent and ability we have signed up long(ish) term now! Shinnie is in crazy form and if Doran can lay off the pies he is just deadly. I have faith in Yogi and Russell at this point. Given a good break and an even better pre-season, I suspect to get off to a flying start again. 

• Agree 1

Sadly staying up next year is all I expect. Avoiding the play offs would be nice. Top six would be nice but I don't see it.  As for cup runs,as has been said its just the luck of the draw.  Still got my season ticket though.

A first ever trip to Hampden as a 'top flight' team would be great. Managed it twice under Robbo in out 1st Division days - but haven't made it back since becoming an 'SPL' team. I assume it will be ready for our invasion after the Commonwealth games?

Just wonder if the fact Queen's Park lost their home ground this past season contributed to their dismal season? They can't afford to do it again with the likes of Spartans, Whitehill Welfare (Mantis payed me), and Brora ready to pounce!

I agree with your post Smee! Too many whingers for my liking.

I keep meaning to post the conversation I had with some Aberdeen fans in a Glasgow pub after the LC final! They reminded me that their own team came from a merger with 2 local clubs (albeit not a bitter one) and it took some 40 odd years for them to get to a major final so we should be happy & proud that we did it in 20. I don't even think Aberdeen were in the top division either?? 

Top 6 and a cup final is a great season for us but I would happily give that away if we managed to increase and maintain a larger fan base. Glory is nothing if you don't have the fans to witness it.

• Agree 3

Expectations,

Fill up the family section.

Its cheaper and all you have to do is take your Nephew or Niece to the game,  you then become the favourite Uncle/Aunt depending on gender and get lavished with gifts from their parents for taking their wee one out for the day,  you save money and introduce a new fan to the club.

Given the quality of most of the teams in the bottom half I'd be disappointed if we're not in the top six next season. Another decent cup run wouldn't go amiss either

I expect the same this coming season as I have done for every other....

The players to go out, give it their all and perform to the best of their ability while delivering entertaining football.

Do that and things like league position and cup progress will take care of itself.

• Agree 2

I think the squad is good enough to finish top 6, and therefore a similar placed finish next season would be the aim.

Can't bank on a cup run but hopefully we can do it again, preferably the Scottish Cup.

• Agree 1

We have a very young squad, so it's not unreasonable to expect us to develop and push on each subsequent season.

Yes....but how far can the team realistically take it. ICT fans have been spoilt. For the most part, for the entire history of the club, we have seen progress MOST seasons. But that was mostly when we were a big fish in a little pond. We are now in with the big boys, so people need to be realistic about the aims they set. I think this season is as good a season as we could ever really hope to see. I cant see it getting any better than what we just had.....so.....where do we go from here?

We have a very young squad, so it's not unreasonable to expect us to develop and push on each subsequent season.

Yes....but how far can the team realistically take it. ICT fans have been spoilt. For the most part, for the entire history of the club, we have seen progress MOST seasons. But that was mostly when we were a big fish in a little pond. We are now in with the big boys, so people need to be realistic about the aims they set. I think this season is as good a season as we could ever really hope to see. I cant see it getting any better than what we just had.....so.....where do we go from here?

Would like to think we could emulate clubs of a similar size like St J with a European appearance and aSC final in the future. Who are the so called big boys Smee? I think most clubs of a similar standard now tbh except the obvious one?

It was a great season this year.  I don't think many are demanding better (maybe hoping for).  The fear is that the second half results will be the norm and we won't reach that top six that the squad is easily capable of.  I don't think anyone is being unrealistic in the squad playing to their ability and netting at least 6th place or higher.  6th place would be acceptable but 5th place must be the aim. I don't see anyone outside those above us being able to match our squad, even with a wee bit of investment (can't see more than that) from St Mirren or whoever. 

Edited by starchief

When are we going to stop belittling ourselves. In with the big boys? From what I've seen over the last few seasons we are one of the big boys. Barring Celtic we can match any team in the league. The so called big boys like Aberdeen and Dundee United no longer have the funds nor the overdraft facilities to run away from us. We have a squad of players that those teams are envious of.

What do I expect for next season? I expect us to compete with all the teams in the league. I expect us to improve on this seasons form against Celtic. I expect us to improve on this seasons goals against tally. I expect us to stay top six. These are my expectations. My wish is two cups and second in league.

• Agree 1

There's only one "big" club in the SPFL these days.  Resources among the rest will (should) dictate that some will rise more often than others, but the gap is not such that it prevents any/all participants in the top league from reaching what is currently considered "punching above their weight" from time to time.

The danger comes from over reaching...especially after a couple of good seasons...and breaking the "living within your means" barrier to try and push on/buy more success.

It was a great season this year.  I don't think many are demanding better (maybe hoping for).  The fear is that the second half results will be the norm and we won't reach that top six that the squad is easily capable of.  I don't think anyone is being unrealistic in the squad playing to their ability and netting at least 6th place or higher.  6th place would be acceptable but 5th place must be the aim. I don't see anyone outside those above us being able to match our squad, even with a wee bit of investment (can't see more than that) from St Mirren or whoever. 

The second half of the season results have been/were the norm under TB....and it is exactly that area where I believe we can kick on next season under Yogi's stewardship.