Red and Green Dots

Renegade

unlikely. it was the catalyst for a lot of arguments. will reserve judgement until I see whats in the new version when released.

I do miss the green / red dots. If folk can't handle getting a wee red blob from the internets they aren't emotionally mature enough to use the web on their own and should maybe stick to the cbeebies site.

That said it was probably a pain in the erse for the mods.

more trouble than it was worth quite frankly ... Instead of being used to vote for the post, you had some folk going around red-dotting everyone they disliked or just going on the wind up for shits and giggles by red dotting someone they knew would react, and some of the (over) sensitive souls were complaining about persecution and/or bullying. When a site feature takes more time to administer because of childish bullshit than it takes to administer the rest of the site combined, its time for it to go ....

Bringing it back in the old format is not an option, and not up for debate, but I will wait and see if there are any other options available in the new version of the software as and when it comes out. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The thing was though, there was one poster who used to throw the toys out of the pram on a regular basis and go on big rampages about being "hated" and "targeted".  The fact of the matter was, the red dots were deserved - the points he was making was 99 times out of 100 nonsense (I see he's changed his name now by the way).

If we're going to have a "like" system where everything and anything can a popular opinion, then it would be nice if there was a way to counteract it.  Would it not be possible to block the regular meltdowners from seeing it?

Edited by Renegade

As stated already .....

I will wait and see if there are any other options available in the new version of the software as and when it comes out. 

• 11 months later...

I'll re-iterate that it'd nice to see the dots system brought back.  I've seen a few posts recently from the usual suspects which totally deserved red dots without having to go into any particular details.  Granted it caused arguments before but that was only after one crybaby kept throwing the toys out the pram.  The dots were far better than this happy clappy everyone-loves-everything like system!

• Disagree 1

The dot system caused the mods a lot of work and headaches. it maybe didn't look like it on the surface but I can guarantee you there was more than one complainer and to label anyone who did so as a 'crybaby' is a bit disingenuous.

While we do (or did) have some posters who complain at the drop of a hat, we also have those who try to find any way to get round the system or to use it for negative purposes and as a result we did have a couple of people who were targeted for cyber bullying through the dot system and who legitimately brought it to our attention. That is the main reason it was removed and the bullies were told they were no longer welcome here. Zero tolerance for that kind of stuff.   

Personally I am very reluctant to bring it back but I am willing to listen to reasoned debate on the matter. In the new version of the software we have 4 options (well 5 really as option 1 is to leave the whole thing disabled). They are shown below and realistically only the first 3 options would be under consideration.

post-2-0-40042200-1433180278.png

I was disappointed when the red dots disappeared but I've changed my mind.  I understand the feeling that one wants to express disagreement or just a dislike of a post, but quickly pressing a dislike option is too easy and clearly is subject to abuse.  If you don't like a post then either put up or shut up.  If you disagree with what someone is saying then respond to it and say why.  Or "like" a post from someone else whose view you agree with.

There are a small number of posters on here whose posts usually make me cringe if I read them and who I therefore usually ignore.  But they are just as entitled to express their opinions on matters as I am and no doubt other forum members enjoy their posts.  A dislike option only serves to inhibit people from posting which is the exact opposite of its purpose.  As I say, there are other more constructive ways to express disagreement and if a post is really inappropriate, there is always the mod system to fall back on.

On the other hand, a "like" option gives people an easy way to simply express agreement with what someone says without having to spend time to post much the same - and let's face it, the forum would be boring if it was filled with posts all making the same point or saying "I agree with ......".  A like button is also a simple way to acknowledge a post which doesn't necessarily make a particular point but which just entertains.

I'm for just keeping the "like" option -  but I reserve the right to make occasional use of the red button should it return!

• Agree 1

I propose instead of the dot system.....if you disagree with a poster....simply arrange to meet up and have a "square go" . But if you like someones post....you can buy them a pint   :crazy:

• Agree 1

Nice idea, but I don't think even Immortal Howden Ender could manage 2,528 pints, could he? Having said that, if they were spread over the course of a year, and interspersed with regular square go's....!

• Agree 1

Nice idea, but I don't think even Immortal Howden Ender could manage 2,528 pints, could he? Having said that, if they were spread over the course of a year, and interspersed with regular square go's....!

That deserves a pint Yngwie  :lol:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Smee--good one! But "square goes" are out of the question for you and me I am sure 'cos for you it would mean a 5000+ mile journey. So, once again maybe just let's.... Keep It Simple Sam.  That way we can just KISS and make up, like, afterwards:lol:

One "like"  is quite enough for auld Scarlet. So if you don't get one then you know I was not too impressed or not too interested in the topic.It's a nice and diplomatic way of being positive and proactive without destroying the more sensitive persons in our midst. Do you know that there are some persons who really enjoy just lurking and learning and the last think we need to do is  give a "no like" vote  to a first poster so he/she never comes back.

Thinks..."I don't know who invented the KISS principle but he sure knew his stuff !!  "

I'm assuming that if I like your post then all  I have to do is just click on the green button then--is that it?. So if you don't get a

As discussed in this topic I have enabled the positive/negative option for now instead of the 'likes' option. The functionality is the same as before but you can vote a post both up and down. This is in line with much of the mainstream media that allows you to rate individual comments as both positive and negative. 

There are a couple of caveats to this .... Users can vote an unlimited number of posts UP during a day, but you can only issue 5 negative votes. This is designed to curb cyber-bullying or any of the problems we had before. The second caveat is that if we do encounter this issue again, and find that moderators need to intervene we will immediately revert back to the likes system. I really dont like the +/- system for various reasons but willing to give it a try on that basis.    

• Agree 1

and if there are issues then we remove the feature as I said. the ability to like as many posts as you want in a day but only dislike 5 is in line with DDs last sentence about liking posts but reserving the right to occasionally dislike something. 

• 2 years later...

The anonymity of this system is somewhat frustrating - seems that there is a common theme of negative responding on here to any posts which criticise player performance/contribution, the management team or the board. I'd be keen to see transparency behind who is disagreeing with statements and why they feel criticism as part of healthy discussion is not welcomed - right now they don't seem to structure coherent replies and hide behind red dotting!!!!

Whether these are individuals who know more (especially about finances & the board) hence the disagreement or just petulant and consistent negative feedback campaigns on certain members who dare to question the status quo and those who run the club we put our hard earned money into. 

The red and green dots have been gone for more than 2 years !  Replaced by the 'like' system which is more like social media. Provided you are not 'inactive', a 'lurker' (reads but doesnt post) or a 'new member' within the last 14 days you should be able to click on the 'dots' and see who issued them. I will double check the settings to make sure its set ... we just updated the software and I noticed a number of system flags got reset. 

• Disagree 1