Synthetic surface and club marketing

Alex MacLeod

We don't really know what weight is behind the concept.

I can just imagine the media asking the question solely based on Hamilton joining the SPFL and they get a reply.

We could also train at a facility that not only isn't built but isn't even at the planning stage.

The cost is also a sticking point.

I would rather spend a small amount of money on improving the match day experience and not only catching up with other SPFL clubs but exceeding them, not in size but overtaking them with creativity and vision.

The traditionalists will say we are a football club and the enjoyment is solely down to what 11 players can do.

Well 2nd in the league didn't bring them in, £10 for a Scottish cup QF didn't bring them in, even free tickets for a ST buddy didn't bring them in.

We need fresh ideas to brighten up spaces, so the heart races and enlighten faces.

We need fresh ideas to feed the sole, to aim for a goal with a bit of rock and roll.

We need fresh ideas to scream and shout and let it all out, that's what its all about.

We need fresh ideas to come together, to embrace the weather and give them hell for leather.

We need fresh ideas. We need fresh ideas.

Welcome to the ICT Experience.

Edited by 12th Man

I would say that introducing a 3g surface to the stadium is, on the whole, a good idea. It creates a playing surface that is consistent, true and not affected by weather to the same extent as grass. Neither will it invariably degrade over the course of a season which is almost entirely outside the growing period for grass. It would still require warming (rather than heating) periodically in winter but it would allow under 20's and other games to go ahead at the stadium without damage to the pitch. It's also a surface that gets easier to play on the more you do it, so it could create a playing advantage over sides with grass pitches, at least in the short term. There has always been cash available (up to 100%  grant funding on a £400K investment) to clubs and local authorities from Scottish Government and the SFA for creating surfaces of this type and opening them out to wider useage. Crowdfunding is a viable method of funding whatever shortfall may exist. There is a potential additional income stream from pitch rental (which Airdrie do very well, for example) but more importantly there is an opportunity to create viable links between the club and an established football playing public - play football at Caley Thistle, watch football at Caley Thistle. There are also links between junior and kids football that already exist but can be strengthened immeasureably by playing on the same pitch as their heroes. There is certainly the potential to boost income by a significant sum per season, create employment and develope a high profile community facility. It's something that at a stroke would diminish any reliance on the facilities at Dingwall, which can only be good. As far as training facilities go, the "hub" at Charleston is a real no brainer. It will be heavily subsidised (or entirely funded) by public funds, will give Caley Thistle another visible presence in the city and further enhance the use of the rest of that planned facility. It's not an "academy" but it could be made to approach it for a manageable capital cost. I note that the above questions that we need to concentrate less on our football business and more on what appears to be an aspirational list of ideas that are admirable but wooly. We are a football club, that's why people come to TCS - to watch football. If we can involve more of them as stakeholders and participants, that's what brings them back to an enhanced matchday experience - not easy, but the nothing worthwhile ever is. Even rock and roll.

• Agree 2

Its always about football Davie and always leads back to it.

Of course it seems Wooly as I have revealed nothing.

I would want to improve  things for an outlay of 1 full paying adult over 3 yrs but thats not my call.  Its all about lifting the spirits to give the fans a voice to get behind the team,  they are valued customers after all and its the fans that create the atmosphere.

Our club sells/sold  an ICT Babies bib to fit  a 15'' neck and a sleep suit that you wouldnt give to charity from new as the quality is so poor, where as an ICT babies sun visor would stay on a car windscreen for years, there are a few other things that could be looked into a little deeper and its Promoting the club.

Ideas should never be mocked, for instance  CJT moved into the bar and started increasing the numbers of their members instantly, it would be even better if CJT openly encouraged and promoted  regional supporters clubs being set up. Increasing the regional fan base and making them feel part of it.

Getting funding to make it a community pitch throws up more questions than answers, would you want the public to use the players changing rooms? where do they park ? do you alter the car park,? what sections do you lock off ? do you turn the bar area into a cafe? who moves in ? what do they sell ? who collects the football money? Where are the entry points? how much do the floods lights cost to run?  how much does it cost to keep the stadium open at nights?  are there changing and showering facilities for men and women?  what about disabled access? 

It may even remain private and perhaps a cheaper install could be arranged from a company from outwith the UK.

If the chairman states that they could perhaps use pitches that havent been built yet when the distibutor road is completed, then it does sound more like one for the back burner.

If the club want to move in that direction then Im all for it  but everything has a cost.

Edited by 12th Man

Our club sells/sold  an ICT Babies bib to fit  a 15'' neck and a sleep suit that you wouldnt give to charity from new as the quality is so poor, where as an ICT babies sun visor would stay on a car windscreen for years, there are a few other things that could be looked into a little deeper and its Promoting the club.

The one in this pic wasnt too bad ..... but the "I dribble for ICT" ensemble was a bit crappy and as you say, somewhat large. Unfortunately that was it for baby selections and we would have bought more on our last trip if there were other items but I guess minimum orders and 'dead stock' issues limit the club somewhat for some items. ... although perhaps we could market the 15" necked bibs to some of our adult customers and shift them that way :lol:

post-2-0-78001000-1403025251_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

It will be a very sad day for Inverness football should a plastic pitch be laid and in my opinion makes a mockery of top flight football in Scotland

The likes of Hamilton and Kilmarnock are an absolute disgrace and what they are doing is cheating by gaining an advantage on all the other teams

Football started on grass over 100years ago and that's the way it should remain, what will happen next vendors going up and down the aisles selling hot dogs and pop corn, disney characters making guest appearances at half time?

It might have escaped some but Scottish football is in the worst state it's ever been I don't see how creating a mini MLS is the way forward

Dougal

It will be a very sad day for Inverness football should a plastic pitch be laid and in my opinion makes a mockery of top flight football in Scotland

The likes of Hamilton and Kilmarnock are an absolute disgrace and what they are doing is cheating by gaining an advantage on all the other teams

Football started on grass over 100years ago and that's the way it should remain, what will happen next vendors going up and down the aisles selling hot dogs and pop corn, disney characters making guest appearances at half time?

It might have escaped some but Scottish football is in the worst state it's ever been I don't see how creating a mini MLS is the way forward

Dougal

So we should still have a heavy leather ball with lace up, goalies wearing wooly jumpers and flat caps boots should be ankle high and goal post square. These were all in place a hundred years ago. Progress happens and if synthetic pitches can save clubs going out of business and be used by the communities as well I'm all for it.

• Agree 5

Dougal

Traditionally, we had no subs, heavy lace up leather footballs, no ladies toilets at grounds, no league football in the Highlands and players who wheezed their way through 40 Woodbines a day but times change and move on.

Dougal

Next thing you'll be telling us is that the merger was a bad idea...!

• Agree 1

I would want to improve  things for an outlay of 1 full paying adult over 3 yrs but thats not my call.  Its all about lifting the spirits to give the fans a voice to get behind the team,  they are valued customers after all and its the fans that create the atmosphere.

Ideas should never be mocked, for instance  CJT moved into the bar and started increasing the numbers of their members instantly, it would be even better if CJT openly encouraged and promoted  regional supporters clubs being set up. Increasing the regional fan base and making them feel part of it.

Getting funding to make it a community pitch throws up more questions than answers, would you want the public to use the players changing rooms? where do they park ? do you alter the car park,? what sections do you lock off ? do you turn the bar area into a cafe? who moves in ? what do they sell ? who collects the football money? Where are the entry points? how much do the floods lights cost to run?  how much does it cost to keep the stadium open at nights?  are there changing and showering facilities for men and women?  what about disabled access? 

It may even remain private and perhaps a cheaper install could be arranged from a company from outwith the UK.

If the chairman states that they could perhaps use pitches that havent been built yet when the distibutor road is completed, then it does sound more like one for the back burner.

If the club want to move in that direction then Im all for it  but everything has a cost.

12th man, I would never mock ideas, especially those concerned with broadening the fan base, increasing the profile of the club or the income available to it, but I can't respond to them unless you "reveal" them. Obtaining funding poses no questions - most of the points that you make are matters of operational policy that the club's stadium manager would take very little time to sort out, and the costs are well known to the club already as are the potential figures for opening up useage. At present, the club's major working asset - the stadium -   works for one day a week when it hosts either an under 20's or first team game. It has to be better utilised than that. Like you, I am all for giving our fans a greater voice in the running of the club and that is something I work towards at all times. I'm also completely behind any idea to establish a network of regional ICTFC fan bodies, whether formal with CJT or informal and again that's something that we are open to discussing with anyone. Like you, I think that the club's merchandise should be of a quality that reflects the standards of the club and by and large it is. So there is much we agree on. However, I would really like to know your ideas about how to "improve  things for an outlay of 1 full paying adult over 3 yrs" and see if there is any way that I can assist or that CJT can.

You really are f****** clueless arent you. Have you ever attended an MLS game? How does an artificial surface translate to creating a mini MLS? and would mimicking some aspects of MLS - a league on the up, with rising attendances, improving quality, and a very serious youth policy that requires every club to establish an Academy, not to mention 22 players representing their respective countries at the world cup - be that bad?

Just for a bit of clarity ..... MLS has 19 teams playing in 18 stadiums (LA & Chivas share). 3 teams (Seattle, Portland, New England) use Field Turf, 1 team (Vancouver) uses Polytan. So 14 out of 18 stadiums using good old grass ..... 

Of those 18 stadiums, 13 of them are "soccer specific stadiums" with only DC United, New England, San Jose, Seattle and Vancouver playing in stadiums not built specifically for football. DC United & San Jose are building new stadiums, and future teams New York FC, Orlando, and Miami are all building or looking to build proper football stadiums too..... so in the next 3 years or so MLS will have 22 teams, 19 in their own "soccer specific" stadiums with capacities of around 20-25000 each, with 18 of them using grass. Only 1 team in MLS that is playing in its own stadium will actually be choosing to use Field Turf (Portland) .... and that surface is approved at the highest level by FIFA. 

As for the hot dog vendors in the aisles .... not seen them at any ground yet, they usually stay in the concourse, i think the grill is a little heavy to carry up all those stairs, but I have seen popcorn vendors and the all important beer vendors going up and down the aisles. Funnily enough, I also dont recall any teams having mascots like we do in Scotland, and no cheerleaders either ...... so  if anyone is guilty of making things a bit 'Disney' it is the SPFL .... and I am sure its not the first or last time the words Mickey Mouse and SPFL will appear in the same sentence !

• Agree 3

Dougal

So we should still have a heavy leather ball with lace up, goalies wearing wooly jumpers and flat caps boots should be ankle high and goal post square. These were all in place a hundred years ago. Progress happens and if synthetic pitches can save clubs going out of business and be used by the communities as well I'm all for it.

Sorry Big G.  Hadn't noticed your post before posting my similar effort.

Dougal

This is a wind-up, right?

Or do you commute to work by horse-and-cart.

Dougal

Beam him up Scotty !

• Agree 1

12th man, I would never mock ideas, especially those concerned with broadening the fan base, increasing the profile of the club or the income available to it, but I can't respond to them unless you "reveal" them. Obtaining funding poses no questions - most of the points that you make are matters of operational policy that the club's stadium manager would take very little time to sort out, and the costs are well known to the club already as are the potential figures for opening up useage. At present, the club's major working asset - the stadium -   works for one day a week when it hosts either an under 20's or first team game. It has to be better utilised than that. Like you, I am all for giving our fans a greater voice in the running of the club and that is something I work towards at all times. I'm also completely behind any idea to establish a network of regional ICTFC fan bodies, whether formal with CJT or informal and again that's something that we are open to discussing with anyone. Like you, I think that the club's merchandise should be of a quality that reflects the standards of the club and by and large it is. So there is much we agree on. However, I would really like to know your ideas about how to "improve  things for an outlay of 1 full paying adult over 3 yrs" and see if there is any way that I can assist or that CJT can.

Cheers Davie, I have forwarded a few ideas to the club. Without any feed back theres not a lot to discuss.  I would be quite happy to pop down and discuss/ plan/ do it,  but I have an annoying habit of  sticking my nose in a bit too much sometimes. So I will leave it be for now but the 1st home game is just over 7 weeks away.

I  popped down to collect the prizes for the people who donated towards the cost of the  CJT/ CTO &  Pride of the Highlands flags on Sunday and did notice that the cladding was looking pretty grubby, approaching from the car park, maybe an exterior clean up could be phase 1 and many hands make light work, oopps Im doing it again.

I will send you a PM regarding supporters clubs later on tonight

Talk is cheap and ideas are worthless without the money/resource to back them up.  Until people who are willing/able to commit time to projects, then all we do is keep going round in the same circles we have been for as long as I can remember.

Also, my tuppence worth on having a network of Supporters Clubs.  If there's a group of people in an area with the will to make something happen, then it'll happen....and it's how it should happen.  If these groups should appear and want any assistance from the club or CJT, then I'm sure it would be given.  There's also nothing to prevent any of these groups becoming affiliate members/branches of central organisation (such as CJT).

There are lots of small groups of fans who already get together to attend games and/or socialise before/after games....most of them aren't interested in becoming organised groups as they (understandably) can't be ersed with the politics and paperwork that inevitably arise the moment you start forming committees etc.

If there is one thing I've learned from years of banging my head against the above walls, then it's that the "build it and they will come" things is a load of BS.  If you really want to make a difference, then put your time into doing things other than regurgitating endless lists of ideas.  Maybe, just maybe, leading by example is the key to getting others involved...and if not...well at least you've not waste your time.

• Agree 1

I personally spent the best part of 6 years chasing the same path that you seem to be on....and came very close to packing the whole thing in, including my support of the club, due to the frustrations of not actually achieving very much (in terms of getting support from others).

It wasn't until I refocused....thanks to people telling me the same thing I'm saying to you....that I found a task that allowed me achieve something tangible through my contribution, and something that I (mostly) enjoy and get a great deal of personal satisfaction from.

I still champion the idea of a lot people doing a little instead of few people doing a lot...it's just no longer the primary focus.  And the thing is, more people have come forward to offer help and get involved in the past 2 years than I ever saw in the 6 years prior to that.

I'm not the only person that's been in the above position and had those experiences, but I can only speak for myself.  For all I know, you may be the person to get a different result and if you truly believe you can, then go for it.  Being the stubborn, opinionated SOB that I am, it's probably what I would do (and did for years) :lol:

• Agree 1

04.54am - 12th Man still buzzing with enthusiasm!

At a game once, they guy who sold me my programme looked very similar to the man I saw later, busily taking the hot pies out of the oven - who bore an uncanny resemblance to the fellow who poured my pint before the game! What was really uncanny was the lad sweeping the stands as I left the ground looked just like the above mentioned - who also happened to be the out-of-breath chap cashing up In the club shop, before almost knocking me over as he pulled on his high-visibility steward's vest on his run to the car park. :lol:

How many World cup games have we seen played on artificial pitch?

How many Champion League finals have we seen played on an artificial pitch?

How many top club sides play on artificial pitch?

That's right absolutely none, only diddy clubs play on it in diddy competitions!!!!

Yes I can see the argument for clubs in Russia, Finland etc due to the harsh climate but winters are now milder in Scotland so there is no need

Hope Kilmarnock and Hamilton get relegated this coming season

And on another note 12thMan have you ever thought of approaching Caleyjagsforever to get involved or is it a closed shop?

With your passion and drive for the club in my opinion you would be a valued addition to the ranks

Dougal

That's right absolutely none, only diddy clubs play on it in diddy competitions!!!!

Yes I can see the argument for clubs in Russia, Finland etc due to the harsh climate but winters are now milder in Scotland so there is no need

And on another note 12thMan have you ever thought of approaching Caleyjagsforever to get involved or is it a closed shop?

With your passion and drive for the club in my opinion you would be a valued addition to the ranks

Dougal

Good point Dongle, I think together we could produce something beautiful.  MC12 and the CJT 

I wouldnt say it was closed shop, you can buy your way in :wink:  all you have to do is send some money to the right people :wink:. £1.

They are used in the champion's league. I wouldn't call that a diddy competition. 

A number of 'top' clubs play on hybrid pitches, and some were used in the 2010 world cup. Sao Paulo is a hybrid pitch this world cup.

And I hope your next sh!te is a hedgehog.

Still enjoying that Jethro Tull album?