Ex-ICT players' news

Sneckboy

Probably common knowledge for some, but I've just learned that Ross Tokely is off to work in Angola over the winter. He's due to return by February so will be available for the anticipated pyramid play-off. He'll be a miss for Brora's cup game at Queen of the South on Saturday.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Re my previous post about McCann winning the S-League and qualifying for the Asian Champions League. Because it is a weaker league, the winners are drawn into Preliminary round 1 containing 4 teams. McCann's side Warriors, have been drawn against Myanmar side Yadanarbon. The other match is India's Bengaluru vs Malaysian side Johor. If McCann wins, his side will face Chinese side Guangzhou R&F, who I presume would win. I will be supporting him, it starts in February.

edit-

It should also be noted that Warriors' previous ACL venture (2010), when they went by the name 'Singapore Armed Forces' they advanced the preliminaries, beating Sriwijaya (Indonesia) and Muangthong Utd (Thailand)

They then finished third in their group behind a Japanese and Korean side, and surprisingly above a Chinese side, beating and drawing with them. So their record against Chinese teams may not be so bad!

Edited by Rival

Adam Macleod requires surgery on a knee injury and will miss the rest of Strathspey Thistle's season. Seems to be the same-old-story, with injuries blighting an otherwise promising career. He was a youth player for us at every age level from U10s to U19s and was reportedly the club's leading scorer for each of those 10 seasons. (I'm happy to be corrected if that 'stat' is an urban myth!)

Interesting to see Maurice Malpas returning to football in the role of 'Director of Football' at Raith Rovers. This type of job, in the background and away from the limelight, tends to suit him.

I think the Butcher/Malpas days as a managerial duo are finished, although I felt that was the case anyway, after the Hibernian debacle!

Marius Niculae has returned home to join Dinamo Bucharest. It'll be his third spell at the club. Recently he's been at clubs in China, Ukraine and Turkey.

He's likely decided to call time on his 'globe trotting' and return to where it all began. At 33 he'll still have 2 or 3 years to contribute.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Gregory Tade is a free agent after his contract at CFR Cluj was terminated when they failed to pay his salary.

That's so disappointing! He had really found his scoring boots out there with Cluj.

Although, they're unlikely to challenge Steau Bucharest for the title, Tade's goals have helped Cluj up to currently 2nd place - and he's 2nd top scorer in the Romanian league.

Can't see him having any difficulty securing a new club.

Campaign on twitter for ex player Chris Finnigan to get Gary Barlow to play at his wedding this July .Gary will play at a wedding whom he decides has had the best social media campaign #getgarytobeauly. Used to work with Chris after he got released and a more genuine guy you could not meet. He even borrowed the Nessie mascot costume to surprise my daughter on her 2nd birthday and arrived unannounced. I'm sure he would appreciate the support. He was never a regular, but was with ICT since youth.

https://twitter.com/pressjournal/status/555383376862261249

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed this in a Daily Record interview with our former loanee Alex MacDonald, who has just moved from Burton Albion to Oxford Utd.

“After going to nightclubs I ended up in a few brawls – one in Inverness while I was on loan there and two in Burnley.

“I was arrested for one of them. My head was up my a***e basically. It’s something I look back on and regret so much.

“Without making excuses, I was all over the place. It was a mixture of things, it was an emotional time for me and a lot of anger probably came out.

“I wasn’t doing well career-wise and if I was out the first thing people would say to me was: ‘You’re s***e, you shouldn’t be going out when you’re not even doing it for your club’.

“When someone tells 
you you’re failing in your 
profession, it’s hard to take. I was still a young boy but I’m making no excuses. What I did was wrong and I know that.”

In August 2011, MacDonald was subjected to abuse in the toilet at Johnny Foxes bar in 
Inverness and retaliated badly by striking out.

The judge called him a bad role model"

Also today Philip Roberts loaned from Dundee to Alloa (Hartley doesn't rate him at all apparently, which is unfortunate seeing as he signed him on a 2 year contract!)

Stuart Armstrong moves to Celtic £2m - is that a record for an ex-ICT player, and is he the best player ever to come out of our youth team? I seem to recall that he left because his family moved away from the area when he was just 16 or 17, but I think it was also the same time we abolished our reserves set up following relegation.

• Agree 1

Great posts. Absolutely right that's a record fee for an ex-Inverness player, £2,000,000!!!

Indeed, despite having just 4,% of the population of Scotland, it seems that today's transfer deadline-day has seen the most column-inches taken-up by Highland boys - Stuart Armstrong and Gary Mackay-Steven!!

Kevin McCann's side Warriors (Singapore), beat Burmese side Yadanarbon on penalties in the first preliminary round of AFC Champions League qualifying. I don't know if he played but he certainly didn't take a penalty

Edited by Rival
  • Agree 1

so basically the same level that David Proctor was playing at at FC Edmonton.

There is a bit of a pedigree surrounding FLS. They were members of the original NASL in the 70s, and also competed in its successor, MLS, as 'Miami Fusion' for 4 seasons (1998-2001). They rebranded themselves back to FLS in 2010 to compete in the newly revamped second tier of North American football (the new NASL). There is a lot of Brazilian influence at the club with Romario and Zinho being former players (and manager in Zinho's case) and with Ronaldo (the Brazilian one, not Cristiano) being confirmed as part owner - and possible part-time player - back in December. 

Wonder if he is hoping he might get a little stepping stone to play alongside Kaka at Orlando FC or to sign for Beckhams yet to be organised new Miami FC (if they ever get approved for a stadium in downtown Miami). 

• Agree 1

Seems strange how Piermayr got an MLS contract but the similarly rated (by me) Sanchez and Proctor can only get NASL

combination of factors I think ...

in Piermayr's case he went on trial with Chicago who rejected him and then Colorado came calling when they had a bit of a defensive injury crisis just weeks into the season. They appear to have remembered him from a game where he played against them during his trial with Chicago. I think its also likely Andreas Herzog (asst coach of USA) and former coach of Piermayr might have had a word ... or perhaps he just has a good agent who managed to make the most of padding his CV especially the fact he was an U21 international and his "positional versatility" which is a big thing in MLS given the salary cap. The links below do mention his versatility and the last link is an interview where he mentions turning to Herzog for advice. He suffered an MCL injury towards the end of last season and his (contract extension) option was not picked up by Colorado. He no longer appears to be on Colorado's squad list but due to the vagaries of MLS, Colorado retain first right of refusal if he does sign back with MLS. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/03/scrambling-defense-colorado-rapids-sign-thomas-piermayr-target-second-additi

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/02/colorado-rapids-announce-signing-austrian-defender-thomas-piermayr

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2014/09/country-boy-piermayr-loving-life-colorado-and-mls

As for Proctor, I am actually a little surprised that Proc did not tout himself around a few MLS teams, or maybe he did without success (?) but I would have thought his versatility in DEF/MID might have got him a roster spot as depth cover in the same way as it got TP a contract. Having said that, he would count as a foreigner in MLS and teams are hesitant to use the limited spots they are allowed for bench players and the Piermayr signing was an emergency in Colorado's case. 

In Dani's case, I think he may be a victim of circumstance and timing. MLS has a lot of good/speedy athletes especially those who fancy themselves as wingers and with the various drafts just being completed and teams now in pre-season a lot of players are "in camp" for most MLS teams right now. His chance may come yet .... USL/NASL teams dont typically stand in the way of a player when MLS comes calling .....

• Agree 1

Richie Byrne has now signed for Horsham, a level 8, Ryman League club.

As mentioned in a previous post by Renegade, Byrne is a fitness instructor but at only 33, he still likes to play football part-time.

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/sport/horsham-fc/richie-byrne-brings-professional-skills-to-horsham-campaign-1-6564578#.VNTkVyxner8.twitter

post-3020-0-69509100-1423306368.jpg

• Agree 2