Ex-ICT players' news

Sneckboy

David Proctor has been released (as a player) from Airdrieonians due to injury - but will remain working for the club in a scouting capacity.

Just looked up his age, and am surprised he's only 30. Hopefully, not a career-ending injury as he's a few playing years left.

http://www.airdriefc.com/news/2015/02/squad

Billy Mckay on the bench again tonight away at Notts Forest.  Wigan are 3-0 down after 63 minutes and Billy is still on the bench.

They're 8 points off safety at the moment, too. League 1 beckons.

Looks like he has made the biggest mistake of his career (although will be financially reimbursed) - He came on after 88 mins yesterday against Forest when the team were already 3-0 down. 

I can't believe that Mckay had this in mind when he signed up for them.  No matter how much he is getting paid, no footballer can be happy sitting on a bench watching their team getting relegated.

• Agree 1

Looks like he has made the biggest mistake of his career (although will be financially reimbursed) - He came on after 88 mins yesterday against Forest when the team were already 3-0 down. 

I can't believe that Mckay had this in mind when he signed up for them.  No matter how much he is getting paid, no footballer can be happy sitting on a bench watching their team getting relegated.

I agree with this 100%.  I've today just picked up a pal's Reading season ticket to go and see them against Wigan on Tuesday night (17th).  I don't expect to see Billy on the pitch for many minutes.   I said, tongue in cheek,  on another thread, that I'd go and see Billy when they play Wycombe Wanderers in EL1 next season.  I'm sure both Wycombe and Wigan will in deed be in EL1 then, but by then, I wonder whether Billy will feature at all for Wigan.

To be fair, he's featured in all 3 games so far, although as noted, as a sub.

I'm sure he'll get a start soon if Wigan continue to misfire. He was close to scoring in his second game but was denied by Artur Boric. Another ex-celtic player, Marc-Antoine Fortune (5 goals from 54 Wigan league games) is currently ahead of Billy in the pecking order - but I can't see that lasting. But he will need to find the net when he gets his chance or it may well transpire that he'll be a squad player at Wigan in the 3rd tier of English football. However, even playing at that level won't hinder his chances with Northern Ireland.  

For me, he certainly moved for money, and although it irks some folk on the forum, Shinnie opted for Aberdeen to improve his career - a move to England and the ludicrous 'big bucks' available could follow in a few years.

Incidentally, congratulations to Graeme on becoming a Dad earlier this week! :smile:

Billy's perhaps not peaked as footballer but reckon his career has, however he has got some more cash in the bargain. He will sadly be, in my opinion, in footballing oblivion soon.

Wouldn't rule out him coming back here from league one at some point, there's no way Wigan are getting out of this one 

From BBC Gossip:

Former Dundee United and Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager Craig Brewster, who is Brighton Under-17 coach, is in the running, along with Manchester United academy chief Brian McClair, to be Scottish FA performance director. (The Sun)

It would be astonishing if Brewster got that job, and the phrase "in the running" could simply mean he has applied for the position. But good luck to him!

• Agree 2

Just got back from watching Reading v Wigan.  Truly one of the worst matches I've seen in years.  Billy got on for the last 10 minutes, which coincided with Wigan's best spell of the match when they improved from poor to mediocre.  Reading were dire all night.  Billy was actually on the pitch for nearly 25 minutes as added time was announced as 11 minutes, but lasted nearly 15, due to a couple of injuries and  a staggering amount of time wasting by Wigan.

Billy actually played well, with lots of good touches, and his usual effort.  He fired narrowly over the bar from a half chance in normal time, but right at the death of injury time he was right through and fired well over the bar from a good chance.  His namesake, Malky, looked none too pleased at that. Had Billy slotted it, I think he would have secured a place in the starting line up next time.  He may have done enough anyway.  Time will tell.  At least he has pocketed his first win bonus.  There won't be many more of them this season, as surely no team can play as badly as Reading did tonight, and I would think Wigan will surely go down.

Attendance of 14601.  I must have been the 1.  Fewer than 100 Wigan fans, making some of our ICT Away day crowds look positively gargantuan!

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...