Ex-ICT players' news

Sneckboy

Technically isn't an ex player but still relevant, I see JJ Hooper has signed for Cheltenham. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33801858

Nope!

Interesting! I don't suppose that was us sniffing about again?

I hope not, after reading that article about him there, he doesn't come across very well. 

Apparently we were going to offer him a contract before the Astra home game but that also fell through because he had a high wage demand because we were playing in Europe. 

He’s that Davide Xausa.

In one of those classics where the person is familiar but doesn’t fit immediately with that situation, Xausa — the former Canadian national soccer team standout and Vancouver Whitecap — is part of the crew behind Velofix, the mobile bike shop business that’s starting to grab national attention.

They were featured again this past week on the CBC hit TV show Dragons’ Den, thanks to Boston Pizza magnate Jim Treliving buying in as investor.

They’ve sold 16 franchises so far, and they’re aiming for 25 by the end of the year. They’re have much loftier long-term goals, believing they’re a “global brand,” because, in the words of Xausa, “cycling is not going away.”

Xausa, 39, and Chris Guillemet, 42, who have known each other more than 20 years through mutual connections with Metro-Ford youth soccer, are Velofix founders, along with another buddy, Boris Martin, 23, a three-time national track cycling champion who went on to become certified bike mechanic.

Advertisement

“Whenever people say, ‘Are you the same guy?,’ it’s nice to know that you were recognized for something,” said Xausa, who played 31 times for the senior national team, the last coming in 2003.

“I wish that I could have done more, I could have helped more. I wish that we could have gotten to a World Cup during my time. My dream was to play in a World Cup for Canada. I think we achieved some great things, but that’s the gap in my history.”

Xausa — pronounced ZOW-sa — was getting press as a teenager growing up in Coquitlam for ability to finish. When he was 20 and trying to help the Under-23 Canada side qualify for the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, there were stories tagging the 6-foot striker as “arguably the most exciting soccer player in the country.”

Canada didn’t advance to Atlanta, but Xausa’s play with that side, and during a 14-goal season with the University of Portland in 1997, caught the eye of teams in Europe. He went on to play seven seasons abroad, much of it in the Scottish Premier League with Livingston. He came home for two seasons with the Whitecaps, highlighted by scoring seven times in 29 games in 2004.

He tallied twice in his time with the senior national team.

Xausa parted ways with the Whitecaps in 2005 and played a few men’s league games with his old Metro-Ford cohorts the next two seasons, but he hasn’t hit the pitch since.

Nick Dasovic, another former national team member, introduced Xausa to cycling. He later started riding with Guillemet, whose athletic resume includes the Boston Marathon and Ironman Canada. They’ve done more than 10 Gran Fondos events and the like.

“Soccer will always be my first sports love, but I felt like I needed a change,” said Xausa, whose the father of two boys, Hudson, 6, and Grayson, 3, along with wife, Regan.

“I wanted something that got the adrenalin pumping, but still had that community aspect to it. Cycling gave me that. You can be 18 or you can be 70 and you do something like a Gran Fondo. It’s that kind of sport.

“After soccer, I knew that it was either swimming or cycling for me, and, to be completely honest, I sink like a rock in the water.”

Xausa says their group came up with the idea of Velofix because they saw something missing in the market place. Clients can book online, and, by entering postal code, they receive a list of possible times that a Velofix van can visit them for a service. Service calls generally take an hour.

“Boris and I were in my garage, talking about it, and after about 30 minutes we called Chris and told him what we were thinking,” said Xausa, who has a finance degree from Portland.

“I live on the West side (of Vancouver). Chris lives in Coquitlam. He was at my house in 20 minutes. You can guess how quickly he was driving.

“A few days later, we were all putting money in the bank.

“We thought the business would have mass appeal, because it was built for people like us.”

sounds like we may have had a narrow escape with a player who thinks he may be better than he is. 

:clapping: to Cheltenham manager Gary Johnson for this little nugget "He asked if I would wait for the weekend so he could speak to the other club and I said no because it's disrespectful to me and the football club given the situation. So I made his decision easy and said Cheltenham Town Football Club was no longer an option for him"

Don't think it has been mentioned yet as far as I can see, but so far this summer, Ian Black has turned out for Berwick in a friendly, and trained with Raith Rovers. 

It remains to be seen whether he is just trying to keep fit and keep himself in the shop window or if his expectations (and offers) have really fallen so far so quickly!

Edited by Yngwie

Dean McDonald has been released from his latest club, Dulwich Hamlet. But I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs looking for a striker!
Just looked up 'images' to remind myself what he looked like - and saw this. It's funny what time does to the memory - I could have sworn McDonald had been a Brewster signing!

00184430.thumb.jpg.b8af2ea321ef8ba2b86fa

Looked a lot shorter and fatter in the flesh if you ask me....

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.169b96c198bd571e766ee

• Agree 1

Dundee Utd have suspended their head of youth development, Stevie Campbell, who was an ICT coach before leaving with Brewster and Malky Thomson to Tannadice in 2006.  It came as a surprise to me that he was still there after all these years, he's certainly done well to last so long at a club that has been through a few managerial regimes in that time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33889577

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

Whilst talking about that era, I was curious as to whatever happened to Peter Davidson, the highly rated fitness coach who followed Brewster to Tannadice and back again. A quick search reveals that he subsequently worked for Fife Council for 5 years in a role promoting fitness in schools, and is now self-employed in Dundee providing businesses with training in first aid. 

Edited by Yngwie

• 3 weeks later...

Philip Roberts is finished at Dundee. Not clear if he's had his contract terminated or just been told to find another club, but he won't be gracing their bench again.

Hartley inexplicably signed him on a 2 year contract in 2014 after Roberts had been sacked by Falkirk (attitude, lack of discipline etc).  He only made a few appearances for Dundee, and will be remembered by fans for those traits rather than contribution on the pitch.

Owners of the city's pubs, clubs and takeaways are said to be devastated by the news.

Edited by Yngwie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maurice Malpas has been inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

Not that I place too much credence on these things ('Hall of Fame'), but Malpas, is the type of guy who should be featuring in such lists.
A one-club-man, over 700 appearances for Dundee United - he was also a regular for a good while, in the national Scotland team.

Post-playing-career management didn't quite suit him and he preferred to be assistant - instead inputting, from the side, his vast experience of the Scottish game - almost in a coaching-style role.
Professional to the end, he even had to take the reigns when Terry decided to sit with the Hibs chairman while he (Butcher) was (officially) still our manager! - even though he (Malpas) knew his opponents that day would be his employers the following Monday morning.

For what it's worth, there are two other members of the 'Scottish Football Hall of Fame' with Inverness Caledonian Thistle links.
(Terry Butcher and John 'Robbo' Robertson).

Good to see Ally MacLeod get in as well.  Arguably one of the most successful Scotland managers ever (one more goal would've seen Scotland qualify from the group), yet many like to portray him as a buffoon, dismissing the fact he was actually a good manager.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Technically isn't an ex player but still relevant, I see JJ Hooper has signed for Cheltenham. 

Nope!

Interesting! I don't suppose that was us sniffing about again?

I hope not, after reading that article about him there, he doesn't come across very well. 

Apparently we were going to offer him a contract before the Astra home game but that also fell through because he had a high wage demand because we were playing in Europe. 

Seemingly since the deal fell through after his agent wanted megabucks, Hooper has played a grand total of 16 minutes for Port Vale, who now have to pay Havant and Waterlooville £8,400 in development fees (something we wouldn't have done).  Still think we dodged a bullet there really.

It's not often you see Charlie Christie towering above someone.

Have to come to the defence of the cult hero that is 'Deano'. For a diminutive guy, he got absolutely stuck in and gave 100% every time he was on the pitch. It's not his fault a manager signed him then never gave him a chance. Imagine uprooting a guy, bringing him all the way up to the Highlands, seeing him impress in pre-season - then completely freezing him out without so much as a run of competitive games. He didn't put a foot wrong. If anything his run here reflects worse on the club than it does on the player.

• Disagree 1