Birmingham Away

I also think we're in for a long hard and boring season.  We don't look like scoring, the whole point of football.  We knock it about back and forth around the defence and midfield keeping the ball nicely but just never look like hurting anyone. You need really creative dynamic centre midfielders, plus width for this style of football to work.  We seem to play really narrow now and creative wise we have Greg Tansey.  I also don't think we're getting anywhere near the best from Doran, Vincent, and most importantly Christie, who really could be a talent if played correctly. Even Draper we're not getting the best from, hes a combative midfielder and we're asking him to take the ball and be creative and for me he's not that sort of player.  Mckay has basically been anonymous since Christmas. 

Also after the first round of games all teams will well and truly have seen we play one way and that's it, we have few alternatives other than the league cup final tactics of defend defend defend.  I gave Yogi the benefit of doubt last season as he hadn't had a chance to sort out what players he wanted to stay and what he wanted to bring in.  I honestly thought he would have brought in maybe 2 or 3 of his own signings to help the brand of football he wants to play.  But he hasn't and if he doesn't I really do fear we may be in all sorts of trouble this season. 

• Agree 3

My fear about this season, rests not with the players, who we all know are capable, but the manager.  My fear is that Hughes doesn't really care if we get into Europe or into the top six or win one of the cups.  All he's interested in playing football "the right way".  Now passing sequences (apart from when the defence lose it) might be nice to watch, but they get very monotonous when time and again they go nowhere.  In fact last season, we seemed to stop our own attacks by someone putting his foot on the ball and passing it sideways........or more commonly backwards.  Does Hughes look at this club as somewhere he can improve and kick on with or as a project to show the rest of Scotland that you can play that style of football here?  So far it seems like the latter.

We'll find this season how good Hughes really is, but I would be lying if I said I had high hopes.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Very pessimistic about this season. ****-farting about at the back still on show and with no signs of action in the striker department it's hard to get my hopes up.

Teams have Sussed we rely on Billy and judging by reports throughout threads, teams.. wether they can match his ability or not are trying to or do have him in their pockets.

Is anyone genuinely excited for this season to start? Not me.

• Agree 1

Just back and I'll put the three points of view.

First from Blues fans in the Royal George after the game: They thought our defending was comedic at times and thought that the tippy tappy football at the back was asking for trouble but all agreed Ryan Christie was some prospect and would swap for Andy Shinnie

The second view from the 5 Baggie fans who came with us: they thought the highlight was the " If you hate Aston Villa" chant but as for the game they were not impressed and thought our defenders have to defend first and play second.

From me: Not going to comment on the game as it's all been said, but unless I missed it, did our management team come over at the end to acknowledge the fans as I didn't see them? If they didn't somebody should have a word.

By the way thanks to the Blues fans in the Royal George pub beside the ground for letting us in before and after the game. Staff reckoned we were the first ever away fans wearing colours allowed in

Edited by Big G

Worrying stuff reading this, what I can't understand is Yogi's insistence in continuing to try this tippy tappy defending, time after time now it has resulted in us conceding soft goals

Considering Yogi as a player never played this way I find it very strange this is how he sees it in his head anyway

Yogi was a stopper and a no nonsense defender that had little football in him so surely he'd more qualified on the game he knows not trying to introduce some continental style that is obviously foreign to us

Think It's time for a rethink in tactics or it's going to end in tears

Dougal

Just back and I'll put the three points of view.

First from Blues fans in the Royal George after the game: They thought our defending was comedic at times and thought that the tippy tappy football at the back was asking for trouble but all agreed Ryan Christie was some prospect and would swap for Andy Shinnie

The second view from the 5 Baggie fans who came with us: they thought the highlight was the " If you hate Aston Villa" chant but as for the game they were not impressed and thought our defenders have to defend first and play second.

From me: Not going to comment on the game as it's all been said, but unless I missed it, did our management team come over at the end to acknowledge the fans as I didn't see them? If they didn't somebody should have a word.

By the way thanks to the Blues fans in the Royal George pub beside the ground for letting us in before and after the game. Staff reckoned we were the first ever away fans wearing colours allowed in

A few mentioned that - there were a couple of Yogi chants during the game which he must have heard but chose to ignore for whatever reason. The usual came across whilst a few needed to be reminded. It is those type of little things that can a big difference. And Butcher was the Master of that.

The signs from pre season are that we are in for more of what proved frustrating and unsuccessful in the second half of last season.

I never thought that Yogi was a good appointment but the fact is that he is contracted for two more years. Having been given the job he should  be given the whole of this season to prove us cynics wrong unless come January we are in severe relegation trouble which, even with the current tactics, the squad should be good enough to avoid.

If at the end of the season we are top six again then I will be delighted to acknowledge that the manager knew what he was doing after all. If, on the other hand, we are struggling towards the bottom come May, then that will be the time to shake John Hughes y the hand, thank him for his efforts and move on.

• Agree 1

The fact Birmingham fans see Andrew Shinnie as a diddy sums up the state and standard of Scottish football for me

Maybe too big a step up for the lad wouldn't be surprised to see him return to Scotland when his contract expires

Dougal

I was quite surprised when a number of Birmingham fans said pre match that they wouldn't be bothered if he left. Skillful but lightweight seemed to be the general theme. It would be great to have him back.

Don't blame the players, blame the tactician who is playing them out of position.

I don't think many people would say that players are being played out of position.  The consensus is that they are being asked to play in a style which is not really suited to their strengths and natural abilities.

While I can't really argue with what has been posted, a few positives I took from Saturday were that Birmingham City are a much bigger team than us playing against superior opposition each week than we do and we were not totally outclassed, in fact for a large part of the second half I did feel that we were the better team and anyone who didn't know the teams playing would have said we were the team with the bigger budget.  Also the were parts in the second half where Ryan Christie was brilliant, this season could really be a big one for him.  If he shines we will struggle to keep hold of him.  And despite the fans feelings on the tactics being used and the general apathy that seems prevalent, the players still seem to have the camaraderie that has been without a doubt our biggest asset over the past few seasons.

Anyway, those are the positives that I took from it but I also agree with most of the worries, concerns and frustrations that have been voiced.

Also thanks to good people of Brum who were all very nice to us, particularly the pub near the ground we were in.  Some of the kids were looking at us like we were from another planet!  A great day was had.

• Agree 4

Pretty + Ineffective = pretty ineffective. I think this is going to be a theme this year! Our possession stats will be brilliant, but we'll continue to leak sloppy goals and will struggle to score because a slow build up is not playing to McKay's strengths. It's a goals business, JH....please prove me wrong! :unsure:

• Agree 2

Glad Yogi has worked this out, quote from the Highland News today "It’s all about ball retention. If we have the ball there is every chance that we’ll score a goal. If our opponents have the ball the chances are they will score so when we lose the ball we get it back quickly and long may that continue. That said, we look to get it better still:amazed: 

Edited by gordieict

Glad Yogi has worked this out, quote from the Highland News today "It’s all about ball retention. If we have the ball there is every chance that we’ll score a goal. If our opponents have the ball the chances are they will score so when we lose the ball we get it back quickly and long may that continue. That said, we look to get it better still:amazed: 

I cringe every time he opens his mouth .

• Agree 1

Water retention would be more apt

Surely the club should vet what Yogi is going to say to the tabloids before he meets up with them

Dougal

• Agree 1

Water retention would be more apt

Surely the club should vet what Yogi is going to say to the tabloids before he meets up with them

Dougal

Verbal retention would be better still....

• Agree 2