THE DANCING

JIMFURD

I just saw the movie the QUEEN recently and one part stood out where the Queen, at Balmoral , went over to see one of her stags that had wandered off her land and had been unceremoniously shot by one of the other landed gentry on his land. In the building where the beast had been transferred and suitably beheaded and the body hung up to bleed dry she noted another  bloody hole in the side of it's face and remarked wistfully.." he probably didn't suffer for too long,though". I immediately thought .."How do you figure that excuse out, Ma'am? And if it troubles you why do you continue to promote the hunting and killing and start by setting an example by banning it on your own properties?" 

Maybe she would have replied "But these creatures do not have feelings, don't you know?"  

I then immediately read an article online about how the Queen Mother was obsessed with shooting  deer (hundreds of them) as if they were, to her, mindless, unfeeling  robots passing her view and impaled on sticks on a moving trolley, set up just for her amusement.

" Oh, my privileged, mindless playpersons, it's  time to read  www.destiniesinmotion.com  whilst I'm off now to don my kilt before I genuflect to you as I exit  :notworthy:

IHE--when I was a boy the queen mother or the queen passed along Telford Street past the bottom of Dunain Road where I lived and I never even went to have a look at the car let alone the  passengers. To me  I had no interest in the Royal family then or now.

But over here in Canada the populace, particularly the younger element,  go gaga whenever a royal (especially a male) arrives to grace our shores. When Kate and William (or Edward, whatever his name is :smile:) came over they were picking the young girls up off the roads where they had swooned yearning for the kiss of life. Even a peck on the cheek would have revived them I think. :wave:

Scarlet - hate to admit that I didn't consider myself smouldering hot nor indeed a cold fish - probably somewhere in between.

But I do remember going to a dance at the Dores village hall and discovered that on entry the bouncers did a search for drink before you went in so like all the other drouthy young men we planked our half bottle carry out round the corner of the hall and would go out every so often for a quick one - drink that is

That is old with only Duncan Fraser & Chisholm's still in business.  The only other ones I remember are Gilbert Ross, Stratton & Dorando's.

I also vaguely remember the Household Bazaar and my granny speaking about Lord Roberts' Workshop for ex servicemen. And might the Academy Restaurant be a posh name for the Academy Street chipper?

The four digit phone numbers indicate a date before the arrival in Inverness of STD (and I don't mean syphilis or gonnorhea!), which I think was in the late 50s/early 60s.

Jim Furd,  I can't answer that 'cos I can't remember further back than last week, nowadays. For example, yesterday I was trying to rationalize Hitler's movements against Stalingrad during the second WW to my 55-year old son and I was trying to refer to the Nazi's Commander who was "Johnny-on-the-spot" but his name, which should have been on the tip of my tongue, was a complete blank and I could not remember it all day for all the money in China.

But today, without any warning, there it was --Mussolini .    Nah! Nah! I am just pulling your leg--- it was Stauffenberg. :laugh:

However, moving right along...I know Dick Emery but I still think it was Benny Hill..remember he would emit the words whilst at the same time pushing the guy on the shoulder so that he nearly fell down.

Oh Geez! Was it even Tommy Handley .....? :blush: