THE DANCING

JIMFURD

Scarlet - I can definitely sympathise as I also get these memory lapses usually at the most inconvenient time. But I can still remember the Dick Emery character of the "busty, flirty blonde" who would be interviewed by a male reporter on some issue, during which he would make some remark resulting in that inevitable innuendo and so the blonde would playfully punch him whilst uttering the remark - Ooh you are awful etc. Does that not ring any bells with you?

IHE - the safety curtain with local adverts - is that not the Empire of late 1950s early 60s rather than the La Scala? The "E" at the top gives it away.

Maybe sadly - I remember all the adverts.

• Agree 1

Jim you are one up on Scarlet this time it was Dick Emery......Benny Hill was the one that the show finished with him being chased all over a park by a bunch of irate women.

Now who was the one that went to the corner of the shop window and his reflection in the glass showed him kicking his leg out in a very funny way.................Was it Harry something...............Worth maybe or Gray ?............. I hate this memory loss thing............the  ?  (whats the word ) of growing old!!!!

Your memories aren't worth tuppence these days......and I should know, so there! :laugh:

Yes dearies, all I needed was a little jog of the correct memory buttons and I now agree you are right on the button.

Dick Emery it was. Boobs and all.  What a group of guys in the past eh?

Is that why we lose interest in sex-- because we forget that the girls are interesting ? :smile:

Have you ever gone to the front door to go out and then stopped and wondered why you were there ? No? ---Just wait!!! :crazy:

Smile :clapoverhead:

The dear old La Scala if I'm not mistaken. Many happy memories especially the Saturday morning matinee and especially good if there was 3 stooges and Flash Gordon serial.

Oooh the suspense every week as it came to end with another cliff hanger.

The dear old La Scala if I'm not mistaken.

See how crap the seats in the front stalls were compared with the rest of the place!

Yeah but pay your thrippence and sit where you want.........

and watch Batman, The Lone Ranger, Gabby Hayes as well as Flash........ Go home........Go to the match and that's ninepence gone out of your weeks 1/6 pocket money.

Speaking of  Suspense.......What about Dick Barton on the wireless at 6pm and then at 8pm Paul Temple followed at 9pm by serials like ''The Dark Island''.... ''Dr. ?????  and the Pit'' (answer please)..........How on earth did our hearts stand up to it all ....must have been all that football, king and reliever we played, kept us fit eh.

Come on Jim, you just lifted the phone and the operator asked you what number you wanted....... probably ask you if it was something serious or if it was auld Wullies back again, then as she was connecting you finish by saying Awe the poor soul.

First introduced in the London area on 30 June 1937, the UK's 999 number is the world's oldest emergency call telephone service. The system was introduced following a fire on 10 November 1935 in a house on Wimpole Street in which five women were killed.

Love the fact that the Empire's phone number was Inverness 999 - I can't remember what you dialled in those days for the emergency services. Anyone else remember?

You didn't dial - STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling) didn't arrive in Inverness until the late 50s/early 60s - you just asked the operator to put you through to the relevant emergency service.

I cringe at the thought of Harry Lauder appearing anywhere. The man did more than anyone else to trivialise Scotland's image on the world stage.

Many apologies guys - of course there was no std back then and you just asked the operator to connect you. I should have rememembered that especially as my dad worked as a telephone operator on returning home from the war. I can only think that maybe had to many of the Capn Morgan which dulled the remnants of my brain. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it.

• Agree 1

Some good memories of the ballerina and the 2 red shoes.   Albert Bonini got some great bands to come north.

I even remember going to a dance in Craigellachie - must have been mad at the time but don't remember ever getting to the scene at the Fleming Hall in Aberlour

Spelt Chrysler and was that also a Sunbeam Talbot?

Jim Fird--did you ever see "Clancy of the Mounted" at  the La Scala. All about our "finest" -- Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Funny how that name sticks although I was  a very little boy at the time. :smile: