THE DANCING

JIMFURD

I wish they would pull Fort George down, it's an ugly monument to British repression of (some of) the Highland people. Used to hate going there as a kid. 

No dougiedanger it must remain and all its history told "in particular the repression of the highlanders"

Spot on IBM.  Whatever your political view, destroying our history be it buildings or books or whatever, or be it good or bad is the refugue of those scared of other ideologies and of how others may interpret the facts of that history.  It is what "Islamic State" is doing in Iraq.  In order to remain civilised in the future, we need to be reminded of the injustices of the past.

I wish they would pull Fort George down, it's an ugly monument to British repression of (some of) the Highland people. Used to hate going there as a kid. 

No dougiedanger it must remain and all its history told "in particular the repression of the highlanders"

Spot on IBM.  Whatever your political view, destroying our history be it buildings or books or whatever, or be it good or bad is the refugue of those scared of other ideologies and of how others may interpret the facts of that history.  It is what "Islamic State" is doing in Iraq.  In order to remain civilised in the future, we need to be reminded of the injustices of the past.

Yes that's a fair enough viewpoint, as long as you appreciate that many of the people who did the repressing were fellow Scots or indeed government supporting fellow Highlanders such as the Campbells.

It's also useful to remember that a lot of those who were oppressed suffered as a result of having been forced through an outdated feudal system to contribute to armed uprisings against the government, in the final case in 1745-46 at a time when the country was fighting for its life in a major war on the continent.

In many respects the real villains were the Stuarts and the clan chiefs who used their power over the people to oblige them to leave their homes and participate in an attempt to win the throne for the said Stuarts who had been thrown out for being despots.

There was also some pretty awful treatment handed out from James Stuart's regime through the Bloody Assizes of 1685 to supporters of the unsuccessful attempt in England to prevent Stuart from coming to the throne in the first place. Up here the Duke of Argyll led the Scottish part of that attempt to keep James out and was beheaded.

The root cause of all these injustices is monarchy.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Scarlet - joshing CB is always allowed in my book as it should be on anyone on this forum as long as it doesn't get personal or derogatory.

And Dougie D - most unionists I know don't take it seriously

• 2 weeks later...

You are right Charles.

The RBS and the Nat Commercial  merged. Which ultimately led to my leaving and going to Canada.

The fickle finger of fate felt obliged to finaigle my promotion chances at RBS by this devious and vile method of  discrimination and finally I felt the need to flip a coin, fill my glass with a whisky, followed by a Highland Fling as I stepped on the aircraft with flaring red wings ready as I ever would be to fly to far lands  to find my fantastic dream.   Fair dinkum said the Aussie, but you're on the wrong 'plane, mate .Yours leaves from Gate 96.... not 69. After a determined filibuster of the fair Aussie maidens we found the right spot, danced a fandango and fled the scene to ply my trade anew  in a foreign land amongst IHE's Mooses, salmon coming up the Fraser river as big as a bluidy walrus, Octupi as big as the roof on yer hoosey and as much open country as your wee heart could ever desire. And thereby hangs another tale....to which you can gain private entry by accessing this url.. www.destiniesinmotion.com  , filling in the contact  page and pressing the little submit button. Replies are guaranteed . :clapping:

Dead right as usual Charlie boy. It did indeed and the merging wasn't too easy either I can tell you.

Actuellement, it led by a rather circuitous route to my resigning from the the Royal Bonk of Scotchland to take up a position in Vancouver, Canada. Couldn't refuse the offer :- all expenses for the family were paid, air fare  paid, furniture carried over free and a loan to help out with a house purchase and was still able to purchase a wee car the size of a boat.

Sounds like Utopia, eh? Well, it wasn't since discrimination laced with fear raised it's ugly head and stymied my attempts to initially get ahead through hard work. Finally the veil of misery and despair lifted when I was  sent to work for a cavalier of a man who was a joy to work with and he gave due recognition for effort which could not be ignored by the high heid yins and they grudgingly conceded.

So it was all plain sailing thereafter was it? Anything but, as the discrimination  against Brits continued in more subtle ways. One bank Manager even told me to my face the moment he saw my face in his office--"You Brits come over here and tell us what to do..." :cry:

I always laugh at establishments that 'boast' about achievements on their premises....often forgetting that time passes and their proclamation starts to do them a disservice!

Almost certain I recently saw an 'award claim' in a Forres chippy that their black pudding was some gold medal winner in 2001 or something....so what exactly's gone wrong since then - and what are they flogging nowadays!!!

Is it not effectively saying, yes back in the day we used to have the best black puddings, but now the competition has overtaken us! :lol: