Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony

culduthel

Thank goodness they did not use that terrible, pitiful, embarrassing dirge  O' Flower of Scotland as an Anthem for the Opening Ceremony. A totally cringeworthy song if ever there was one.

Every time I here that song being sung it reminds me of piles of drunks spilling out of the pubs in Scotland in the 1970's, singing the song through the piles of vomit spewing from their mouths.

The song should be banned. Who says it is our National Anthem anyway? From memory it got sung once at a Rugby International in the 70's and was used from there on.

No decent Scot with good taste ever had any say in the matter.

• Agree 1

Great song and tune!  The tune was chosen by the athletes and the updated version will played when Scotland are on the podium to collect their medals, hope they win many :smile:

• Agree 1

I would not have expected Flower of Scotland to be used as anthem for the opening ceremony as its the Commonwealth games and, rightly so, the only anthem should be that of the head of the Commonwealth.

That said, what I seen of the opening ceremony, I thought was excellent. Yes there was the tartan and shortbread bits but the main message, which was put across in a very tasteful and subtle way, showed just how this country of ours should be portrayed. A country of passion and compassion. A country that welcomes and embraces all regardless of colour, race or creed.

“Wi’ joy unfeigned brothers and sisters meet.”

And the final plea for support of Unicef was a brilliant way to show us as a benevolent country.

• Agree 1

Agree.  The downside for me was the rolling out of Rod Stewart but at least he wasn't quite as awful as Sir Paul at the Olympics.  Other musical elements blended in with the ceremony beautifully and were performed, often in a wonderfully understated way.  The piece involving the Scottish Youth Choir and the interpretation of "Letter from America" with two young dancers from the Scottish Ballet was particularly effective.

Unheralded performers outshining the bigger names at Celtic Park - hope that sets the scene for ICT's visit to Celtic Park in a few months time

I'm not a fan of opening ceremonies for things like this anyway, but this one could have been worse. And at least the fecal brown socks and kilts and the 1970s holiday shirts didn't look quite so bad under that lighting.

Then there was the baton which had been travelling for light years round the known universe apparently since the days of Jurassic Park and when it eventually got to the end of the road they couldn't get the bloody lid off :lol:

I was also wondering what the Green Brigade were thinking about 40,000 people loyally singing God Save The Queen to the wifie herself inside Celtic Park. :crazy:

And is Rod Stewart incapable of singing in anything other than an American accent? (Or is it just that Rod Stewart is incapable of singing?)

Inevitably, of course, we were never going to get away without a few episodes of the Caledonian Cringe - that limitless capacity the Scots seem to have of making merciless caricatures of themselves - the Nessie, the caber, the giant kilt and sporran and... horror of horrors... Andy Bloody Stewart!! I am told that the guy in the purple tartan suit was born in Glasgow but lives in the USA.

The welcome the Scottish team got was wonderful and it was good to see the predicted booing of the English team failed to materialise.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

I'm not a fan of opening ceremonies for things like this anyway, but this one could have been worse. And at least the fecal brown socks and kilts and the 1970s holiday shirts didn't look quite so bad under that lighting.

Then there was the baton which had been travelling for light years round the known universe apparently since the days of Jurassic Park and when it eventually got to the end of the road they couldn't get the bloody lid off :lol:

I was also wondering what the Green Brigade were thinking about 40,000 people loyally singing God Save The Queen to the wifie herself inside Celtic Park. :crazy:

And is Rod Stewart incapable of singing in anything other than an American accent? (Or is it just that Rod Stewart is incapable of singing?)

Inevitably, of course, we were never going to get away without a few episodes of the Caledonian Cringe - that limitless capacity the Scots seem to have of making merciless caricatures of themselves - the Nessie, the caber, the giant kilt and sporran and... horror of horrors... Andy Bloody Stewart!! I am told that the guy in the purple tartan suit was born in Glasgow but lives in the USA.

The welcome the Scottish team got was wonderful and it was good to see the predicted booing of the English team failed to materialise.

Who precisely apart from some agitating journalists predicted that the English team was going to get booed  ? That was never going to happen. One man's merciless caricaturing is another man's wry humour and the ability of an increasingly confident nation to be able to self deprecate.

• Agree 6

Thought overall it was a good opening with plenty of Glasgow p**s  take humour, not taking themselves too seriously.   Thought Nicola Benedetti's piece was brilliant -  she really is world class.

NZ commentators gave it a 9 out of 10 - one saying that the Scots know how to pull at your heart strings and bring you to tears - on several occasions.  They are also saying that Glasgow is the friendliest place they have ever been to for a sporting event and they are all loving being there.

Hope the weather holds out.  I heard a rumor that a lot of the African countries had been training in the Arctic Circle for the last few months so as to acclimatize to a Glasgow summer - is this true?

Who precisely apart from some agitating journalists predicted that the English team was going to get booed  ? That was never going to happen. One man's merciless caricaturing is another man's wry humour and the ability of an increasingly confident nation to be able to self deprecate.

Kingsmills... Scotland has therefore been self deprecating furiously and damagingly ever since the days of Harry Lauder and before him Walter Scott. The initial fears about booing were articulated by Team England members. Whether these fears were motivated by a perception that this is what might happen when English performers appear at a Scottish football ground or by the perception of Anglophobia generated by the current divisive and long running political proceedings is not clear.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Kingsmills... Scotland has therefore been self deprecating furiously and damagingly ever since the days of Harry Lauder and before him Walter Scott. The initial fears about booing were articulated by Team England members. Whether these fears were motivated by a perception that this is what might happen when English performers appear at a Scottish football ground or by the perception of Anglophobia generated by the current divisive and long running political proceedings is not clear.

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  

Inevitably, of course, we were never going to get away without a few episodes of the Caledonian Cringe - that limitless capacity the Scots seem to have of making merciless caricatures of themselves - the Nessie, the caber, the giant kilt and sporran and... horror of horrors... Andy Bloody Stewart!! I am told that the guy in the purple tartan suit was born in Glasgow but lives in the USA.

The welcome the Scottish team got was wonderful and it was good to see the predicted booing of the English team failed to materialise.

Where is that 'shake the head' smiley. It was on the whole better than expected and as far as the Scottish anti-Scottish Journalastic world were concerned a damp squib ;-)

As the Pythons once said 'Always look on the bright side of life....' or was it 'No one expects the Spanish Inquisition'.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

Anglophobia is alive and kicking............................................in Mr Bannermans head only.

My favourite was the black South African lassie near the end. She done that song better than many Scots professionals could. At the end of the day this ceremony, and the games, will be remembered by every nation for many years to come as the ceremony and games that welcomed each and all.

I think there was a vote in 2010 and it came top beating God Save The Queen, Swing Low Sweet Chariot and Land of Hope and Glory! (did you not vote?!) :laugh:

They used to use Land of Hope and Glory, while we had Scotland the Brave.

But now it seems to be Jerusalem and Flower of Scotland! I'm not a huge fan of it but am relieved it's not Donald where's yer troosers!!!!

I think there was a vote in 2010 and it came top beating God Save The Queen, Swing Low Sweet Chariot and Land of Hope and Glory! (did you not vote?!) :laugh:

If I had a vote I'd have thought it would be appropriate for them to go for something a wee bit more modern, like Queen's anthemic celebration, that everyone could sing along too.

We Are the Champions     Fat Bottomed Girls!

If I had a vote I'd have thought it would be appropriate for them to go for something a wee bit more modern, like Queen's anthemic celebration, that everyone could sing along too.

We Are the Champions     Fat Bottomed Girls!

Quality!

Do some people have any real problem with stereotypes in general....or is it more to do with the fact that they'd like us to cast off the Scottish stereotype, only to have us use the British stereotype instead?

Given the choice, I know which one I prefer!

I like Flower of Scotland

I do not like  Land of Dope and Tory

I would like Abide with me ( albeit I am not religious )

The way England is getting medals

I think  "Teddy bears picnic * might be in order 

To read the Scottish press You would think Scotland was way out in front with the medals It looks like Yorkshire will get  as many

Edited by Laurence

For a man that's so pro-Union, it surprises me that you choose to present Yorkshire as an independent nation in your argument.

Some might even suggest that you were more anti-Scottish than pro-Union?  :whistle:  :tongueincheek:

Check the Olympic table

Time will tell

Checked it and England with a population of 53 million have 38 medals so far. 14 of them gold. Scotland with a population of 5.3 million have 20 medals so far. 8 of them gold. I think the scottish press have every right to make proud comment.