Development League info. (2014/15)

Sneckboy

Here's a wee report for you. Afraid there's not much to enthuse over from an Inverness point of view, but this was a very good Hearts side.

Trounced

An impressive Hearts side trounced a youthful Inverness eleven in this Development League game.

El Hassnaoui opened the scoring for Hearts early in the game with a thirty yard free kick.

Almost number two five minutes later as a wicked deflection saw Esson stranded but the ball rebounded off the crossbar and the follow up shot was fired low across the face of the goal.

It was clear to see that the youth side were trying to employ the same ball retention as the first X1 and most balls out of defence went through the only experienced outfielder for Inverness, Danny Devine. However, like the first team, this style will take a bit of time to materialise and too often Inverness gave the ball away as the Heart's midfield took control.

A melee in the Inverness box almost resulted in Hearts doubling their advantage but the ball was hacked away for a corner as Inverness were starting to get pinned down

Just after the half hour and Buchanan makes it 0-2 for Hearts. Inverness once more tamely lost possession in the centre of the pitch. Hearts burst forward on the left and a ball laid back across the box was hit first time from around fifteen yards high past Esson for a cracking goal.

Inverness responded with a massive kick from Esson causing problems in the Hearts defence before Ferguson (I think) was blocked, the ball going for a corner.

Number three came along before the break and El Hassnaoui had a simple tap in after Inverness never learned from their harsh lesson of giving the ball away. Another run down the left and a ball into the big number 10 who finished with ease.

3-0 down at the break and Inverness struck after four minutes when Ferguson finished off a great team move from back to front by rifling the ball into the net from 12 yards for a superb goal.

Danny Devine was unfortunate with a 25 yard free kick  a few minutes later which bounced back off the foot of the post.

However, it was Hearts who were dominating the game and a diving header was blocked at point blank range by Esson, touching the ball onto the post and away to safety. Hearts were well in the driving seat and a great run down the left was halted at the expense of another corner.

El Hassnaoui and Robinson combined well and the latter fired his effort across Esson when he should have done better. Esson saved again as he tipped a fierce shot from Scott over the bar and the Hearts procession continued with Esson saving a weak shot when the Jambo's striker should have done better.

A rare foray forward from Inverness saw the Hearts keeper having to dive out to smother a dangerous cut-back inside the six yard box but still, it was Hearts that looked likeliest to add to their total.

Esson to the rescue once more as he tipped a great shot onto the bar and over for a corner as the one way traffic continued, and soon he was in action again to block with his feet as the Hearts winger broke into the box. The Esson show continued right to the end as he dived to save another effort from distance, the ball almost squirming over the line but Ryan was alert enough to gather the ball calmly.

No more scoring as the game ended with Inverness on the back foot and Hearts running out deserved winners.

Positives I hear you say! Well, Esson will be a great replacement for Brill should he get injured and Ferguson took his goal well at the end of a slick move. Apart from that, not too much to have the first eleven quaking in their predators. Danny Devine was well involved and seemed to come through the game in one piece.

Hearts looked to be a much stronger side than Inverness and their experienced players ran the show as they deservedly won the game.

Ryan Esson was the big highlight for Inverness keeping the score in single figures with a string of excellent saves. Oh, nearly forgot, is it Blackett that's the doppelgänger for Aaron Doran?

ICT X1: Esson, Maclennan, Howarth, Baptie, Brown, Horner, Wilson, Devine, Ferguson, Blackett, Sutherland
Subs: Hoban, Hull, MacArthur, Macrae

HMFC XI: Brown, Smith, Eckersley, Bauben, Mckay, McKirdy, Scott, Robinson, Buchanan, El Hassnaoui, Beith
Subs: Mason, Flanagan, Smith, Roy, Page

• Agree 3

Excellent summary of the game, as you say not many positives there ..but one big one.... in as much as this team are trying to emulate their big brothers' style of play which means that if a sudden crop of injuries or suspensions come up those called into play will not be too mesmerised and should be able to acquit themselves that much better.

Good to know that Esson is still able to give a quality performance too.

Footnote.......As we know to our cost it takes considerable practice and skill development to bring about real success in the possession game but Yogi has proved it can be done.

Have you noticed how many teams are trying to catch on to this style now??

It was interesting to see that Ali Sutherland filled the recent 'vacant' gap on the bench (v Partick Thistle, yesterday). If I'd been told in the morning that an 'U20s' striker was going to be given that role, I'd have certainly thought it would've been Calum Ferguson!

I'm sure Ferguson will get his turn, but a boost to Ali and I'm sure he'll have loved sampling the top-team 'away-day' experience.

Edited by Sneckboy

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE: Cammy Mackay, Ali Stark, Calum Howarth, Ryan Baptie, Jason Brown ©, Blair MacLennan (Lewis Grant, 77), Jamie Wilson, Ali Sutherland, Calum Ferguson, Chris Blackett, Kane Hull (Andrew Macrae, 80).
SUB NOT USED: Ally Velzian.
YELLOW CARDS: Baptie (35); Sutherland (57); Wilson (63), Brown (80)
RED CARD: Mackay (90)

• Agree 2

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE: Cammy Mackay, Ali Stark, Calum Howarth, Ryan Baptie, Jason Brown ©, Blair MacLennan (Lewis Grant, 77), Jamie Wilson, Ali Sutherland, Calum Ferguson, Chris Blackett, Kane Hull (Andrew Macrae, 80).

SUB NOT USED: Ally Velzian.

YELLOW CARDS: Baptie (35); Sutherland (57); Wilson (63), Brown (80)

RED CARD: Mackay (90)

Woooo lets go Starky #MuirtownLoyal 

That was a very young team! There are names in there I've never heard of. With us having a game tonight, none of the first team guys were included yesterday. I think the lack of 'experienced heads' was evident late on with that collapse from 1-0 down to 5-0 in less than 10 minutes, against a team 2 leagues below us...

It's going to be a very steep learning curve for a lot of those boys this season - but that's what it's all about in the Development League - the results aren't too important.

• Agree 3

That was a very young team! There are names in there I've never heard of. With us having a game tonight, none of the first team guys were included yesterday. I think the lack of 'experienced heads' was evident late on with that collapse from 1-0 down to 5-0 in less than 10 minutes, against a team 2 leagues below us...

It's going to be a very steep learning curve for a lot of those boys this season - but that's what it's all about in the Development League - the results aren't too important.

Which names have you not heard off, i might be able to help you out on them 

Ali Stark, Lewis Grant, Andrew Macrae and Ally Velzian. Cheers caleydawson.

Ali Stark, Lewis Grant, Andrew Macrae and Ally Velzian. Cheers caleydawson.

Starky i played CB with him 5/6 years he can also play CDM,RB and LB at a push, he can throw so far if you need a long thrower he is now in his second year in the U17's so this is his last season there so could sign for U20's at end of season, Lewis Grant is a full back who i haven't played against much but he is lanky and has a lot of pace of a typical full back haha.

Andrew Macrae tall great pace lots of tricks can also change the tempo of a game quickly which is something you could need. Ally V now he is someone i have played football with aswell, he is quite small but what he lacks in height he makes up in his ability too turn an opponent inside out, he plays CM and is a lot like greg tansey in a way the way he can move the ball around the pitch is really good but he can be out-muscled really easily though which is something he would have to improve in his game

There ya go Sneakboy hope you enjoy this little description. 

• Agree 3

No game today. But from next week, it's virtually every Tuesday until the end of the season, barring Xmas week, I think!

http://spfl.co.uk/reserve-and-youth/development-league/

We're currently bottom but the one game we managed to draw was against table-topping, Aberdeen, who've won all their games - except the match with us!

But results aren't too important in the development league.

Tuesday September 30, 2014

Inverness CT v Hibernian - Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, 6.00pm

P     W     D     L     F     A     GD     Pts
Aberdeen                5      4      1      0    16    8      8        13
Hamilton                 5      4      0      1    11     4      7        12
Falkirk                     4      4      0     0     6      1      5        12
St Mirren                 5      3      1     1     10    5      5        10
Motherwell              5      3      0     2     11     8     3          9
Celtic                      4      2      2     0     11     6     5          8
Kilmarnock             5      2      1     2     10    10    0          7
Partick Th               5     2       1     2     10    12   -2         7
Hearts                    4      2       0     2     7     10    -3         6