Positive or Negative

absent friend

On reading the content of many offerings on here, I wonder how this impacts on the numbers going through the turn styles.

I realise constructive crits are a positive but very few seem to appear on here.

The manager, players and staff MUST read this and I cannot see how this can be helping their efforts.

The press do use this and magnify the negatives.

Potential new supporters could read this and wander over the bridge due to negativity re the coming season.

Maybe Scotty could do ICT a favour and consider closing the Forum down for six months.

yeah, that would be a good positive way to celebrate our own 20th anniversary! 

We have our fair share of negative posters, but my own opinion is that it is balanced out by "happy clappers" and a fair number of 'balanced' posters. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you are going to base your support of a club entirely on forum postings (or for that matter facebook or twitter which is where our 'orphans' would end up if we took your ludicrous suggestion seriously) then perhaps supporting a football team - any team - is not a wise choice for that potential supporter.

As for the press .... forums, facebook, twitter etc just make things easy for them ... if they didnt have that then they would just make it up anyway!

Players and management do read this (in varying degrees) but very few take it seriously (especially the negative posts)

• Agree 2

Show-business moguls say ..."there is no such thing as bad publicity, whether it's good or bad, it's all  keeping  the spotlight on us."

Without the black to contrast it, you can't see the white !

Fair people use their own judgment and try to find the balance.

If you obliterated this website for 6 month then all overseas members would wither and die on the vine. How dare you make such a suggestion . Even old fogies and emigrants need their footie to avoid losing touch with reality in a world basically about to implode.... :ohmy:

• Agree 3

On reading the content of many offerings on here, I wonder how this impacts on the numbers going through the turn styles.

I realise constructive crits are a positive but very few seem to appear on here.

The manager, players and staff MUST read this and I cannot see how this can be helping their efforts.

Potential new supporters could read this and wander over the bridge due to negativity re the coming season.

Maybe Scotty could do ICT a favour and consider closing the Forum down for six months.

05d.jpg

Yes Yogi's tactic are coming in for a bit of stick, but i am sure that he has broad enough shoulders to carry that and I am sure if he is reading this he will be determined to prove the doubters wrong (myself included) . As for the players have a look at other clubs forums and then have a look again at this one, the players very rarely come in for criticism unless its after a performance which was fairly gutless, thankfully that is very rare.

There is not a club in the land that doesn't have its share of negative, happy clapping, balanced posters including this one, what this one does not have/allow is personnel attacks on the players or management and to suggest closing it down for 6 months is frankly ridiculous. 

The comparison with other club fora is very valid.

It is true that there are a number of posters, perhaps even a majority, expressing frustration and concern over the tactics and results since Yogi took over the team but there are very few indeed calling for the manager's head most wiling to give him further opportunity to turn round what cannot, no matter how 'supportive' of the club you are, be viewed as anything other than a sharp decline in fortunes since his appointment.

From brief visits to other club fora, almost every other forum in the land would have a substantial body of fans calling for the manager to be sacked in similar circumstances. In my view, the majority of users on this site are considered and restrained with the views offered whilst being critical also generally measured and proportionate.

If the tenor of the forum upsets you so much just now why, rather than closing the site for six months, don't you take a break from it for six months ?

Anyway, without this site, Caley D would have to resort to Twitter to make sarcastic comments about any posts remotely critical of the club or the team....

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2

There is nothing but depressing, negative stories on the news.

Ban it.

Let's have more happy, smiley, inane babble from that perennial grinning, prozaced up wench Lorraine Kelly instead.  Or the f****** One Show.

Happy, happy, happy.  Joy, joy, joy.

• Agree 1

What irritates me are these self-righteous types who seem to think that if you make any criticisms or have any opinions that are not from the "everything is great" handbook, you're not a real supporter.  Airing your worries and criticisms is perfectly healthy and to be encouraged.  I think as well, when a realist/negative nancy does say something positive it carries a bit more weight and is praise that is deserved.  When a happy clapper gives it yet again in a kaleidoscope of colours, smiles and sunshine - it means nothing.

• Agree 3

There is nothing but depressing, negative stories on the news.

Ban it.

Let's have more happy, smiley, inane babble from that perennial grinning, prozaced up wench Lorraine Kelly instead.  Or the f****** One Show.

Happy, happy, happy.  Joy, joy, joy.

Ah, the incomparable Stimpy . . .   :lol:

• Agree 1

Well, not everyone is a happy clapper just because they favour the positive viewpoints rather than the negative ones which  usually end up irritating or depressing us standard balanced folks,

The  jolly Joes in raincoats having reserved personalities and possessing reserved judgements no doubt are , in the eyes of the critics, also happy clappers  but why any fan at all should be objected to because he claps his hands  and are happy is a complete mystery to me. Are we all supposed to be miserable until the  Great non-happy clapper Chief gives a signal ...? 

The old saying ''Oh,wid the guid lord the gift tae gie us tae see oorselves as ithers see us"springs to mind as something the non-happy clappers and  negative criticisers could ponder over.

• Agree 1

Strange thread this. Is there really a need for a positive/ negative thread when none of us has really seen enough to make an informed judgement about the season (which has yet to start) I'd like to think that the OP is simply venting a bit of frustration.

This isn't the OF, you are allowed to dissent from the "official" view in as many ways as you like. You can express any opinion you like and as far as I'm concerned do it without being labelled as anything other than an ICTFC fan. Labels like "happy clapper" or "negatives" are unneccessary, as is sniping at individuals by name because you don't agree with them.

One thing I would take issue with is that I don't think that any other fans forum (under these circumstances) would have a considerable body of fans baying for the manager's head. Deila seems safe, nothwithstanding it's probably the UEFA league for Celtic. MacNamara seems safe, despite losing a cup final that he was widely expected to win. You can't legitimise an individual point of view by spreading it out to unconnected bodies of people.  Even McCoist seems safeish, despite his early and pre season lack of success. Perhaps Hibs or Hearts might have been calling for blood by now, but that's about it.

I look forward to this season with the same anticipation that I do every year and if there are judgements to be made they will be made in light of the facts which probably means Christmas time. I've got the same doubts, hopes, fears and aspirations under Hughes as I do every year and did under Butcher but I'll suspend negatives until they really are required.

I think we'll finish 4th and I reckon that Killie will go down. But then again, I think that Abedeen might win this league this year so what do I know! Just bring it on.

• Agree 2

There is positive then there is just being stupid. And us finishing 4th just isn't going to happen

Who know's if Yogi gets his tactics right, we have as good a squad as most, by no means impossible

Edited by gordieict

There is positive then there is just being stupid. And us finishing 4th just isn't going to happen

Who know's if Yogi gets his tactics right, we have as good a squad as most, by no means impossible

Our squad is way behind Celtic , Aberdeen , Motherwell , Dundee United and the likes in terms of quality .

Our squad is way behind Celtic , Aberdeen , Motherwell , Dundee United and the likes in terms of quality .

I think results before Butcher left showed we were not far behind most, apart from Celtic.

I very much doubt the gaffer or players spend much or any time on this forum and read it. Most managers try to avoid media as so they are not overly swayed by all the drivel. It would turn most mad.
Also, go on any forum and you'll see plenty happy clapper, negative nancy and Mr balanced and thorough. It's nothing unique to CTO.

All in all a pointless thread and if anything should be closed it's this. Not that I would encourage a totalitarian approach to thread monitoring.

• Agree 1

n. But then again, I think that Abedeen might win this league this year so what do I know! Just bring it on.

You are an odd individual Davie, a self acclaimed Dundee Utd supporter who's watches ICT yet wants Aberdeen to win the league

Good fishing on your part though as I've nibbled

Dougal

• Agree 1