Mckay to Fleetwood/Frankfurt/Fraserburgh?

Rival

Interesting post on the Fleetwood forum the other day - 

Heard from a reliable source we are not going back in for him a club already bid £500k which are not going to match.

Don't know if there's anything in that, but it's an interesting thing to say.

http://www.independentftff.proboards.com/thread/5672/billy-mckay?page=3

Edited by Renegade

I've heard that it is Eintracht Frankfurt that are sniffing about Billy now, rumours that a bid has either already gone in or soon to be submitted

I wonder if it will be more than 65K that Fleetwood bid. I was listening to Russell on Sportsound after the game last Saturday and he said we would like to keep but we will do what's best for Billy wether it be staying here or elsewhere which is true enough. Playing in the Bundesliga would be some feat for Billy and would be hard to turn down so will just have to wait and see. As Yogi has said on the club YouTube before "Football evolves, if it's not him it's somebody else"

He might be able to sign a pre contract in January but couldn't 'walk away' until the end of the season. On balance, we might gain more than £200,000 in additional place money and cup progression than parting with him for that price.

I totally agree 200K wouldn't be an acceptable bid. I was just stating that if we didn't accept a bid we could risk losing him and getting no money for him like we did with Andy Shinnie unless Billy signs another contract then we don't have that worry. For what it's worth I would accept anything from 300K-700K for Billy.

He might be able to sign a pre contract in January but couldn't 'walk away' until the end of the season. On balance, we might gain more than £200,000 in additional place money and cup progression than parting with him for that price.

^ This.

We wanted £500,000 in January, and his value has dropped since then.  Once you get above £300,000 we're into the territory where I suspect we'd sell, but it would do an awful lot of harm to our season.

Edited by Yngwie

Kingsmills / Roughi

He is worth a lot more but I know where you are coming from.  I would still go for more though the market hasn't really been tested yet.

Keep the publicity coming itis in both Billy's and our interests

I don't think it's in the best interest for anyone if we were asking for an extortionate amounts which would ultimately make teams walk away and then we are in a position where Billy can leave next season for free and we could have been saying I wish we could have boosted the coffers with the 300K bid from Frankfurt. I still wished we could have got cash for Andy Shinnie but it's just one of these things.

I have faith that Kenny Cameron will do what's best for ICT.

FSV made their way up from the amateur leagues over the years and have become an established 2nd flight side over the past few seasons.

Wkipedia describes them as "living in the shadow of their more successful local rivals".  :crazy:

But it IS Eintracht who are in for him. Games against Champions League winners Bayern Munich! - we can't stand in his way!

Any offer over £400,000 we'll take - any less would be a steal!

But if they want him enough we could hold out for more. Let's be honest, Billy won't be here this time next year - we will reluctantly have to cash in. It'll certainly result in a paradigm shift of our aspirations for this season, as I had us down for 6th in Kingsmill's 'poll'. We'll absolutely need to get a striker in if this is true.

We should do everything possible to keep him in my opinion. We should only sell if we can get in a replacement just as good.

No doubt we are doing all we can to keep him but we a small club with a limited budget so that may not prove to be enough.

It makes sense really because Billy is the sort of striker than the Germans in particular tend to favour.  Looking at Tomato Terrace's excellent video of Billy's goals I was reminded of the video showing all of Miroslav Klose's record number of world cup goals where his longest range strike was a penalty!  Germany previously had Gerhard Muller in a similar role.  These sort of players may not be spectacular but they can be very good at winning football matches.  The Germans appreciate them and know their worth.

If we are talking in the region of £500K then that is the sort of level where the next stage up gets into silly money.  Whatever fee Billy may eventually go for (and go he certainly will at some point) it will be important to get a clause which gives ICT benefit from any subsequent move.

Another point to make is that whilst I would expect Billy to score a good few if he stays here, the need to get a replacement or back up is probably not as urgent as some folk think.  The style of play Yogi is bringing in is a bit more fluid and not reliant on a traditional striker role.  We have several players capable of scoring and who, in the style of play, will get into scoring positions.  A windfall from selling Billy might be best spent on securing longer term contracts for key players like Shinnie and Christie rather than an out and out proven replacement.  Yes we will need to bring at least one more striker in but in my view we should be looking for someone with the potential to develop within the team we have and who won't break the bank - which is what we did when we signed Billy in the first place.

• Agree 1