Mckay to Fleetwood/Frankfurt/Fraserburgh?

Rival

You could argue that Billy is invaluable to us, given that without him, we'll drop a few places in the league which could arguably put us in the mix for relegation - the cost of the unthinkable would far outweigh any offer for him! however, I reckon £400k would be enough to convince the board and we need to be prepared for losing him. The issue really is that we'd be scrabbling around for scraps to replace him now and we'd not get quality.

I really hope he doesn't go, but the Bundesliga might be too tempting for him and I wouldn't blame him for taking the chance, if offered.

So is it only FSV Frankfurt? Not Eintracht?!

With due respect to Billy, the former would be more realistic. That said, I'd be disappointed if he went there. Eintracht's a no-brainer but he can surely do better than FSV Frankfurt in Bundesliga 2?

Incidentally, I see that SC Paderborn are now in the Bundesliga - that's one of the teams Lionel Djebi-Zadi played for between leaving County and joining us. Perhaps German league football's not such a high standard after all!

Seen that Ryan Gauld is already struggling out in Portugal and now playing for Sporting's B team - so sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. In saying that though playing in the second tier of Germany might be a good starter to get adjusted to German football.

I heard today Inverness City is interested in him, offering us Luke MacKay. I think we should take the deal, he's a quality player and he's young with a lot of potential!!!!

Yeh! let's get rid of our best player in return for some doughball who can't get a game for Inverness city. :lol:

I heard today Inverness City is interested in him, offering us Luke MacKay. I think we should take the deal, he's a quality player and he's young with a lot of potential!!!!

Yeh! let's get rid of our best player in return for some doughball who can't get a game for Inverness city. :lol:

I represent the above mentioned Inverness City player and i can categorically state that he is not interested in a move right now. He wants to stay and fight for his place. 

• Agree 1

Seems like the smart thing to do 

The cost of losing a key player, in terms of prize / gate money from league position and cup runs, needs to be factored in. Even for a bid of £300,000 we could find ourselves at zero net gain, or perhaps even at a net loss.

It also sends out the wrong message to other clubs, i.e. Caley players are available on the cheap.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

to be fair I think that's a bit harsh on Ryan Gauld to say he's struggling.  I don't think anyone thought he was being signed to go straight into the first team.  He needs time to adjust and develop into the style of football they want him to play.

When paying £3M for a player you should hopefully expect him to be there or there abouts. Taking nothing away from him Portugals second tier is still a good standard.

Main point I was making was really if Billy went abroad that it isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

to be fair I think that's a bit harsh on Ryan Gauld to say he's struggling.  I don't think anyone thought he was being signed to go straight into the first team.  He needs time to adjust and develop into the style of football they want him to play.

When paying £3M for a player you should hopefully expect him to be there or there abouts. Taking nothing away from him Portugals second tier is still a good standard.

Main point I was making was really if Billy went abroad that it isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Technically he is already abroad !!!

He's British and still in Britiain :ninja:

• Agree 2

Seen that Ryan Gauld is already struggling out in Portugal and now playing for Sporting's B team - so sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. In saying that though playing in the second tier of Germany might be a good starter to get adjusted to German football.

They did state when they bought him that he was signed for their B/reserve team initially.  They have bought him to develop and then sell on at a very large profit.  They were very clear on their intentions.

They did state when they bought him that he was signed for their B/reserve team initially.  They have bought him to develop and then sell on at a very large profit.  They were very clear on their intentions.

I didn't realise that. I thought he was going to be played in the first team straightaway.

I've said this before but you have to consider the benefit to us in the long term of allowing players to move on to bigger clubs or better leagues in attracting promising young players from elsewhere.

A selling club that develops talent has to actually sell players or the masterplan doesnt work, especially given the perceived downsides of asking a young player to move a million miles away into the frozen wilderness to get a game. You have to be able to tell prospects over a contract signing that players X, Y and McZ all signed similar low income deals but we provided a proven platform that eventually leads to big money elsewhere.

If you hang onto guys until they become totally irrelevant or we try to nickel and dime buying clubs in transfer negotiations then the rest of the current squad will be more reluctant to sign extended deals and new recruits will be more reluctant to take the gamble on us.

• Agree 2

He's British and still in Britiain :ninja:

For now...

• Agree 2

The cost of losing a key player, in terms of prize / gate money from league position and cup runs, needs to be factored in. Even for a bid of £300,000 we could find ourselves at zero net gain, or perhaps even at a net loss.

It also sends out the wrong message to other clubs, i.e. Caley players are available on the cheap.

Agree with this.  Would much rather keep a hold of him and finish 4th and have decent cup run and risk losing him for free at the end of the season, than sell him now and finish 8th or 9th, unless it's for a decent price of course.

Who knows?  If we have a good season and win a cup he may even want to stay a little longer.

• Agree 1