SCHOOL BULLYING

JIMFURD

I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS A BIT OF A THORNY SUBJECT OR NOT BUT IT CERTAINLY INTERESTS ME. I HAVE READ AND ENJOYED ALL THE USB BOOKS BUT ONE THING THAT CAME ACROSS WAS NO MENTION OF BULLYING AT THE IRA. I WAS A FEW YEARS OUT OF THE IRA BEFORE CHARLES STARTED HIS 6 YEARS AND CERTAINLY BULLYING WAS A PART OF SCHOOL LIFE. NOT ONLY BY OLDER/BIGGER BOYS ON YOUNGER ONES BUT BY BIGGER BOYS ON THOSE IN THEIR CLASS WHO WERE SKINNY/ WEAK/WEEDY/SMALL. SADLY TOO IT WAS LARGELY IGNORED BY STAFF AND ALMOST ACCEPTED AS PART OF A "BOYS WILL BE BOYS" CULTURE. I REMEMBER ONE PARTICULAR CLASS MATE WHO WAS BULLIED MERCILESSLY BY MANY OF HIS CLASS MATES - BIGGER AND STRONGER THAN HIM USUALLY AND SOME TIME INSTANCES OF HIM BEING GRABBED IN THE BOYS CLOAKROOM BY A "CREW" AND HAD HIS HEAD PLUNGED INTO THE WC AND THEN THE HANDLE PULLED - BEING GIVEN A "SWIRLIE" WAS THE TERM USED I THINK. ANYWAY ARE MY MEMORIES SIMILIAR TO YOURS OR HAD IT BEEN CURTAILED BY THE LATE 60S /70S WHEN CHARLES WRITES HIS BOOK? WHAT VIEWS OR MEMORIES DO YOU HAVE? WAS IT THE SAME AT THE TECKIE?

I can't say that I found bullying a significant issue at the Royal Academy at all during my time there (1965-71). I'm sure it happened because the school hasn't been built where it doesn't, but I have no recollection of anything particularly extreme.

Oh to be sure, if some of the smaller boys were especially badly behaved or irritating, one sanction resorted to by the prefects was to drag the odd one into the prefects' room and set about his backside with a trainer. But even that didn't happen very often... apart from the case of an especially annnoying little lad called John MacKenzie.

The original post does also inspire an interesting theory because wherever he/she was educated (or "attended school" might be a more appropriate term), the manner in which Dougal has turned out could very well be explained by the number of "swirlies" to which he/she was subjected as a boy/girl. :laugh:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Think in those days bullying was par for the course in all Inverness Secondary Schools.  This is where Prefects stepped in. I remember in my first year that one particular nasty bully was bothering a lot of us individually. We complained to the Prefects. They got a hold of him and took him behind the bike shelters and in front of all of us gave him a good bit of  "humiliation".  We were never bothered again and that bully never bullied anyone ever again.

Oh to be sure, if some of the smaller boys were especially badly behaved or irritating, one sanction resorted to by the prefects was to drag the odd one into the prefects' room and set about his backside with a trainer. But even that didn't happen very often

Isn't that bullying  :question:

Oh to be sure, if some of the smaller boys were especially badly behaved or irritating, one sanction resorted to by the prefects was to drag the odd one into the prefects' room and set about his backside with a trainer. But even that didn't happen very often

Isn't that bullying  :question:

If you had continued your quote of my post to include the next phrase - apart from the case of an especially annnoying little lad called John MacKenzie - I think most reasonably minded people would conclude that it in fact was not, but something more of a public service. :lol:

these are balls

play-stage-ball.jpg

Grow some....

there I was thinking this might be a young ict fan asking for help dealing with bullys but nope FULL GROWN MEN   :tuttut:

^

Dished out some swirlies IMO.

Im 5 foot 8 and 8 stone and thats me as a 24 year old I find it hard to support my own wieght now lol it must have been worse back then

swirlies would have been great when I was at school instead I got my head smashed against a brick wall and one guy walked up to me and poked my right in the eye

Edited by Ayeseetee

Maybe I was the IRA at a time when a group of bullies passed through the school and yes I suffered a bit of bullying myself on occasions - but never a swirlie thank goodness. I find it also very interesting that at a school reunion about 20 plus years ago that one of the main instigators of the bullying came and apologised to the person concerned and they ended up having a drink together. And just in case you thought that I was shouting - it was a simple case of forgetting that the CAPS LOCK was on - oops!

Jim Furd

The caps lock thing has made my life a misery 'cos I am vision impaired and hit two keys at once always.. here is what I did ...got a piece of paper, folded it to thicken it and pushed it down the left side of the caps button. Then sellotaped/scotchtaped it to the underside of the keyboard to stabilise it and stop it from moving. Works a charm when nothing else did.

Cheers.